Old 03-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #393
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Gene, loved your report. My road trips start April 1, leisurely ones, not like the ones that I am accustomed to. You are providing an enticing formula for retrieving the best that a region has to offer. Appreciated, thanks. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 03-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #394
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The restaurant near the train station is Tomasitas. It is on Guadalupe. We haven't been there for years. Sometimes it was good, sometimes not so good, once very good. Pretty much a tourist place in my opinion and very popular. Santa Fe has hundreds of restaurants and many good choices.

I can't remember how La Choza was, but it was good to spend part of an evening with our Santa Fe friend Kristin. We went to La Fonda's La Plazuela for breakfast for the free parking, but it was closed to anyone except those who had a room. Renovations have closed off part of the parking and part of the public areas. But the restaurant is very cool and the food was very good. Had an omelette as my huevos rancheros stomach was filled up.

Off to Pueblo up I-25, about the same distance as going home, but 75 mph all the way and faster. In-laws well and getting closer to 91. As usual I took naps and was well rested for the trip home on Sunday. It has been warm and sunny, though some rain is predicted in the next few days and maybe even snow.

Before we left the fridge was getting colder and colder and I was turning the thermostat down and down. When we returned the overactive fridge had crashed and was 64˚. Frozen gel packs got it down to 54˚, I turned on the Airstream fridge and filled a cooler too. Some stuff went to the freezer. The crash must have come just before we returned and we lost no food. We started researching fridges and called a repair guy. He thought it was low on freon and I thought it was a filter. Either way the cost was not worth it to test and fix. This Whirlpool anchor dated from 2008. The first one had failed after 5 years. We had the Whirlpool freezer repaired twice since we bought the house. We had one Whirlpool dishwasher start failing last year and neither ever washed dishes very well. I will never buy Whirlpool knowingly. Long ago it was a good brand.

Salespeople will tell you American fridges only last 10 years (remember when they lasted 40 years?). The only US manufacturers are Whirlpool and Frigidaire (CR says the latter is even worse). Samsung and LG make their own and Kenmore Elite. We started looking in big box stores (little variety and at the orange store, the saleswomen with orange hair knew nothing). We checked Sears Outlet where they have scratch and dent models of all sorts, but they looked pretty bad and since we wanted to replace both units with matching ones, no luck. Well, maybe we would have found matching dents, but not matching fridges.

We were looking for one with a top freezer and one with a bottom freezer. That was I can put stuff I use a lot on the top of each and not have to bend a lot. This was replacing a fridge without a freezer and an upright freezer. Both are smaller (18-20 cubic ft.) and without tearing out a bunch of cabinets, we were looking for ones that size. Not so easy to find.

Armed with the knowledge most are garbage products, we figured Kenmore was a little better and despite our blood oaths not to ever go to a Sears store again, there we were, twice. A very empty and lonely place. All that sells there are Craftsman tools (they aren't that good for serious remodelers) and Kenmore appliances. They could close the rest of the store and make better profits. Another company going downhill. The second time we were there, we spent 4 hours going over fridges and freezers, discounts available, availability, free delivery and removing the old ones, a loaner until we could get our units. I saw that if we bought 3 appliances we could get another 5% off and since we want to have a free standing gas range eventually, I started looking at them. I saw a very slightly dented convection unit with warming drawer and 5 burners and lots of other fancy stuff for $850. A new one near it was $1,400. We got another 5% off and thus it was $800. The sales receipts are difficult to understand and I'm not sure we got all the discounts we were entitled to, but I'll go over it again later. If we bought a 4th item, 10% off, but I was tired of it all. Now I have to do new countertops, backsplash and sink in the kitchen sooner; that requires a Denver trip sooner, but we'll be within 100 miles in mid April anyway.

Good to be home, survived the fridge wars, finished grouting the window sills today, changed SUV oil yesterday, will get brakes finished by a real Toyota mechanic after hours next week and ordered a dust collector for the shop today. Maybe order a planer soon since I can get a reconditioned one at a very good price, but am waiting for a jointer to go on sale. We need to rob a bank soon.

Less than 10 weeks to trailer time and I have to do lots of maintenance. I'm sure I have plenty of time for that if I lie to myself.

Gene

Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #395
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Back to remodeling projects (sanded and urethaned some 1x4 this morning) and have been removing old light fixtures in the kitchen and putting in simple cheap fixtures with bare bulbs to have light while we (1) paint the ceiling and (2) eat.

I found a suspension shop that will repack wheel bearings for $170 for two axles, cheaper than local RV shops. I can do it, but have to keep at the remodeling. Besides, I really don't like repacking bearings. Still lots of other stuff to do on the trailer. The snow having melted, we moved the trailer a few feet to keep the tires happy. Temps are getting into the 50's now and it will be easier to work outside. As soon as it is unlikely to snow up at 6,900', it will be time to get the bearings dealt with.

Barb has informed me our annual Ouray trip will be in late May. After that, I suppose we'll make some short trips to national forests or somewhere. A long trip in Sept., maybe going into October. The truck brake job is not yet finished as the mechanic has had issues in his life. I am not too happy with the constant delays, but hopefully next week it will be done. I need the truck soon to pick up a cheap cabinet I ordered to put a planer on and then pick up plywood for a countertop for the cabinet. I can drive the truck, but it is not doing the brakes any good. Downshifting all the time reduces substantially the need to use brakes, but dragging my foot on the ground wears out my high heels (only 6" spike heels reach the ground from a full sized truck). I ordered DeWalt reconditioned planer for about a quarter less than the price everyone charges. Funny how everything is discounted and "list" price is an illusion no one charges. And Amazon now has free shipping after $49, not the $35 of the last several months and $25 for years before. Plus, now they charge sales tax. A paragraph of non sequiturs.

I watched a debate last night while reading, another one on tonight. I at least get some reading done waiting for the knife fights. I think politics was a lot easier to take before television took over.

Looks like my childhood neighbor may be nominated for president. No one liked him when we were all kids long ago in Queens, NY. He doesn't seem to have matured any since he was a pushy little kid.

Gene
Old 03-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #396
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Country Home.....

Gene,

Got up this AM, made some joe, put on one of my favorite albums.....This song started and I thought of You & Barb.......

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #397
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob,

Was Jessie Colin Young in the Youngbloods around 1970? I have deep in the recesses of my mind a song with that voice from that period in a rocker—and I remember sitting in my car in Buffalo around 1974 with a friend while we waited for that song to end on the radio. Can't quite grasp the song I almost remember—stuck in my preconscious* (fancy word for tip of my tongue, though the song is actually toward the back of my tongue). Thanks for the memory, although maybe not quite what you intended. And, the song above, Country Home, feels funny to me. Growing up the in the northeast, a country home seems like a farmhouse at the edge of the fields and broad leaf forest. But we live amongst desert trees (mostly juniper [a cedar family member]), sagebrush and some bunch grass plus sand and sandstone. Mixes up my head.

Thinking of Moab with trailer in late April for our 28th wedding anniversary. Kinda hot there by then, but hard to go earlier. Then our "first official annual trip" to Ouray in late May for our 30th "day we met" anniversary. But this weekend, painting ceiling, installing lights fixtures and crown molding. Don't think it can be done in 2 days, but we'll see. New fridges come Monday, truck finally gets brake job completion too. Glad I don't have a job—who's got the time to work?

Gene

Preconscious has produced the word "darkness" and that's all for now. Must paint.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #398
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Bob,

Was Jessie Colin Young in the Youngbloods around 1970? I have deep in the recesses of my mind a song with that voice from that period in a rocker—and I remember sitting in my car in Buffalo around 1974 with a friend while we waited for that song to end on the radio. Can't quite grasp the song I almost remember—stuck in my preconscious* (fancy word for tip of my tongue, though the song is actually toward the back of my tongue). Thanks for the memory, although maybe not quite what you intended. And, the song above, Country Home, feels funny to me. Growing up the in the northeast, a country home seems like a farmhouse at the edge of the fields and broad leaf forest. But we live amongst desert trees (mostly juniper [a cedar family member]), sagebrush and some bunch grass plus sand and sandstone. Mixes up my head.

Thinking of Moab with trailer in late April for our 28th wedding anniversary. Kinda hot there by then, but hard to go earlier. Then our "first official annual trip" to Ouray in late May for our 30th "day we met" anniversary. But this weekend, painting ceiling, installing lights fixtures and crown molding. Don't think it can be done in 2 days, but we'll see. New fridges come Monday, truck finally gets brake job completion too. Glad I don't have a job—who's got the time to work?

Gene

Preconscious has produced the word "darkness" and that's all for now. Must paint.
Gene,

Yes JCY was in the main cog in the Youngbloods.....

Maybe this was the song that got stuck in your vertical cortex.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #399
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2015 23' FB International
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
or this one, "Ridgetop":

Old 03-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #400
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Back to remodeling projects (sanded and urethaned some 1x4 this morning) and have been removing old light fixtures in the kitchen and putting in simple cheap fixtures with bare bulbs to have light while we (1) paint the ceiling and (2) eat.

I found a suspension shop that will repack wheel bearings for $170 for two axles, cheaper than local RV shops. I can do it, but have to keep at the remodeling. Besides, I really don't like repacking bearings. Still lots of other stuff to do on the trailer. The snow having melted, we moved the trailer a few feet to keep the tires happy. Temps are getting into the 50's now and it will be easier to work outside. As soon as it is unlikely to snow up at 6,900', it will be time to get the bearings dealt with.

Barb has informed me our annual Ouray trip will be in late May. After that, I suppose we'll make some short trips to national forests or somewhere. A long trip in Sept., maybe going into October.
The truck brake job is not yet finished as the mechanic has had issues in his life. I am not too happy with the constant delays, but hopefully next week it will be done.
I need the truck soon to pick up a cheap cabinet I ordered to put a planer on and then pick up plywood for a countertop for the cabinet. I can drive the truck, but it is not doing the brakes any good.
Downshifting all the time reduces substantially the need to use brakes, but dragging my foot on the ground wears out my high heels (only 6" spike heels reach the ground from a full sized truck). I ordered DeWalt reconditioned planer for about a quarter less than the price everyone charges.
Funny how everything is discounted and "list" price is an illusion no one charges.
And Amazon now has free shipping after $49, not the $35 of the last several months and $25 for years before. Plus, now they charge sales tax. A paragraph of non sequiturs.

I watched a debate last night while reading, another one on tonight. I at least get some reading done waiting for the knife fights. I think politics was a lot easier to take before television took over.

Looks like my childhood neighbor may be nominated for president. No one liked him when we were all kids long ago in Queens, NY. He doesn't seem to have matured any since he was a pushy little kid.

Gene
Hi, Gene; I thought Toyotas were supposed to be easy to work on. Six months to fix the brakes is too long. I see a shiny new F-150 in your future.

Please post a picture of you wearing high heals, before and after you wear them out.

Decades ago Sears was sued for fictitious list prices, especially for appliances which were always on sale. Now everyone is doing it. I just read an article about this, but the funny thing is, they all had the same sale price, but different list prices. Have you ever seen anything sell for list price at Harbor Freight?????

Election choices have been bad or worse forever. Choose you choice of the lessor evil.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #401
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob of Buffalo—Not the song, but certainly one that brings back a lot of memories and hopes. The hopes for a better world for all were not realized and we as a nation have been going downhill for 35 years (having had connections with the front runner's family in one party as kids makes this all very strange right now). Thanks for the song even if it makes me a bit crazy. Not having ever learned the names of such things, the "refrain" (?) of the song I can't get out of my head is "darkness, darkness".

Steamy' (a name that conjures all sorts of strange thoughts), not the song either, but I do live on a mesa top, pay higher taxes than are usual around here (the county assessor and I don't get along), have a dirt driveway, conifers (though not tall coastal ones, but short junipers), few squirrels, but lizards, mice, deer mostly.

JCY had an amazing voice that conveyed emotion better than most and will forever stick in my head.

Bob of the West: I got slowed on truck fixes because of two colds, snow, remodeling, life in general. Toyotas aren't necessarily hard to fix, but they don't need fixing much. The replacement of the oxygen sensor took 15 minutes at most—more time to look it up, figure out where it was and which one to order, and wait for it to be delivered. The problem with the brakes is that the brake booster/ABS make bleeding much more complicated and require electronic stuff I am not going to buy. I did not check the rear brakes sufficiently and assumed that rear brakes last forever, but I am told with modern braking systems they don't. So rear pads were worn to metal (maybe that's the sound I hear that I thought was from ceramic pads I put on the front). Brakes used to be easy, not quite so much anymore (I hate it when things change). I did save money by doing a lot myself and will save a lot more because (1) I got the rear rotors and pads at an employee discount through a neighbor, (2) mechanic will charge me less than half of what the dealer would. 55,000 miles towing is rough on brakes, so a mostly complete overhaul seems about right. I think the truck will be ready for many thousands more miles.

My record for keeping a truck is 145,000 miles with a '90 Nissan 4 cyl. pickup with the sexy name of "base model". Great little truck and only cost $400 in repairs in 9 years. I don't know if I'll keep this one that long, but after 100,000 miles people get nervous about buying one used, so I might as well keep it a long time. Maybe when we quit trailering, it will be time to get a medium sized pickup.

I hope your Ford is working well for you, but you should be aware of the four recalls for 150's: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6K5CZm1Lf4AeiQ

I read the same article about phony list prices—it was originally in the NY Times. I don't mind negotiating prices for everything because I did negotiating for years in my profession. But Sears was weird—a whole variety of discounts were confusing, but I think I got them all. The company is so fossilized that everything takes forever and the salesman had to go speak to some manager numerous times (worse than negotiating with a car dealer). It took 4 hours to buy 2 fridges and one stove. I am aware that fake prices and discounts abound on the internet. I just keep looking. Amazon is just as phony as the rest and with higher shipping costs and tax, I may not be buying as much from them in the future. I got on the Harbor Freight email list to see if they had anything I wanted, but most of the stuff is poorly made, so I may unsubscribe.

Got the crown molding up yesterday. Making it and then putting it up is the longest, hardest part of this project. Today I polyurethane the places that I hadn't done before installation. Then install 3 new light fixtures and one old one moved to a different place. Then, time to do the same thing on the other half of the kitchen and adjacent area—most of the crown molding is already up there and there's a bit less square footage. Two fridges arrived yesterday—a top freezer is wonderful for my back and the other with the bottom freezer means easy access to the fridge part for both of us. We have just enough freezer space and much more fridge space. It was impossible to find two that matched exactly in style and size. One is a couple of inches lower than the other, so I will make a pedestal for it soon to raise it so it doesn't look so different.

And my new dust collector for the shop arrived too. Haven't had time to open the box, but still waiting for the hoses and other parts to attach to various machines. Meanwhile dry and warm weather persists and I hope for more snow to bank water for the summer, but El Niño seems to be uncooperative. Recent big storms in northern Cal. missed here and we got only a few drops of rain yesterday evening (Bob, is it raining in Oregon, or will be there another summer of fire and dying trees?). But warm weather makes me anxious to travel. After this kitchen ceiling project is done, I have to do maintenance on the trailer and prepare for kitchen countertops, tiling, etc., and fit that in between travel.

Photos from Santa Fe and home projects await more time to post.

Now, what is that song?

Gene
Old 03-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #402
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, good information on the F-150 recalls. They are all for the 2015 model and don't apply to my 2014 model. Mine did have one recall done while in Michigan for a seat clearance concern on the passenger seat. I looked, but cannot see what was done.

We have had more than our share of rain, but we like it. It has had making my gate and fence harder to do.

Harbor freight does have cheap tools. I buy some of them for one time projects like the hole saw kit that I bought for $10.00 or less. I also bought a hard wood floor nailer for doing one room in my Lakewood house. Saved a ton by doing it myself. [as you would know]

A dust collector is a great thing especially for as much wood work as you have been doing. I don't do that much anymore, but Lee still wants me to make things for her. My latest was a Japanese Garden Window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000674.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	258809   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000675.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	258810  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #403
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Gene,
Don't feel bad. Our previously reliable truck has given us nothing but trouble lately. Expensive trouble, I might add. It is right around 88,000 mi. First it was new front brake pads. (not too expensive). Next it was a engine fan clutch. That is a whole story in itself. The latest is front hubs and front deferential bearings. As soon as we find a new home for the trailer, the truck will be next.

I gave up doing my own work sometime back in the 80's when things were all becoming electronic. When I open the hood on my little toy Mercedes (SLK), as far as I can tell, I can't see a thing that is actually engine. It is all hidden under shrouds to keep the owner from even thinking about trying to work on it himself. It was made in 2001. Things are even worse now.

We just had another 24+ hour power outage. We are seriously considering a auto start natural gas powered generator.

Ken

Ken
Old 03-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #404
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Hi Guys. Couple of, um, observations....

Gene, you missed a golden opportunity all those many years ago on the playground...just one slip on the monkey bars and.......well.....

Change sux. Radical change anyway.

Trucks get old and wear out.

I love working on home improvement projects.

We're beginning to sound like a bunch of old farts. But it's a badge I wear proudly.

Keep it up boys. Spring (and camping) is just around the corner!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #405
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I can assure you of two things:

1) old farts rule....

2) it takes great courage to be an old fart....

Rich, world's oldest computer geek.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #406
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OLD FART.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	258823