Old 01-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #365
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Road Trips

Gene, look at Moen faucets. Cheaper stuff isn't worth it. That's from 44 years of dealing with cheap ones and replacing at ONCE with Moen hardware. Believe me, the lack of aggravation and no need for future repairs is worth the money.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #366
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Plus Moen has lifetime warranty and will gladly ship replacement parts and has great u tube videos.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #367
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Back!!!!

"SNIP>>>>We did watch the DMT recommended movie, The Grand Seduction. The story is not new—a very small town tries to get a doctor, gets one and tries to keep him (Northern Exposure and Doc Martin have similar themes). It is light fare, full of beautiful scenery and Newfoundland characters. We enjoyed it. Maybe we'll have to watch The Shipping News again to get excited. Four months to leaving and it seems like years from now."

'dem Frostbacks do make some good films.....

This is on Amazon Prime, watching it again right now.

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #368
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad to see, Bob of Oregon, you finally got to use that snow scraper. Now you can travel down the coast, snow scraper at the ready, with the wood and seal it down south. I have had to deal with temperature and sometimes cheat to get it done. I have painted in the 40's when the paint recommends 50˚, but the sun at high altitude heats up surfaces quickly. If the sun is out, temps on the wood will be higher than air temperature. It is not easy keeping wood from getting grey and clear sealers don't last long and have to be redone, and tinted ones sometimes have lousy color. I'm sure you'll back into the spot without a problem considering what your last driveway was like.

If your countertop has a backsplash built into it, then the top of the backsplash is pulling away from the wall, otherwise, the countertop itself is pulling away. Not using an integrated backsplash connected to the countertop is getting popular now, so you could have either. I don't mean the backsplash above the one usually part of the countertop. The exterior wall shouldn't move that much—what kind of warranty do you have from the contractor? Is there good insulation in that wall?

One solution is putting a piece of trim on the wall that covers the space and you won't notice when it moves. Depending on the style of your kitchen, you could use L channel aluminum (I used it in the trailer bath where the wall flexes a lot and no caulk will hold), wood molding such as quarter round or cove, or something else that fits in with the decor. I assume you wrote "grout" when you meant "caulk". There are grouts that are a lot stronger and more flexible than the cheap stuff found in the big box stores, but caulk seems to be best for this. Another fix might be to bolt the cabinets to the wall with lag bolts at the top of the cabinets. You will enjoy the contortions to get in there, especially at 70; I'm 5 years older, so I can tell you, do it now, it just gets worse. I hope the cabinet wouldn't pulled back on the floor, exposing something, but would make the wall/cabinet combination more rigid.

If you want me to look at it, pay all our expenses and we'll give advice (advice is of course, cheap), but travel will be in a rented Ferrari and we will stay at the best hotels.

How do I do it? I'm an idiot. And, I get joy out of making things and designing our house. Of course, then we move and start again. I'm not sure I could do it at 80, but who knows? Better than bucket list skydiving or bungie jumping.

Hittenstiehl and rm', from what I can learn about faucets online and talking to a plumbing guy, there have been major changes in faucet quality. I am told Delta has gone from cheap mass produced fixtures to high quality ones. I bought two Delta faucets and they appear to be very good quality. Price Pfister was sold by Black and Decker (which had made it a bad company) and is now called Pfister. Supposedly they are now high quality, but I got burned by their former crap and may never buy that brand again anyway. I was told Moen has gone down in quality and should be avoided. Grohe (owned by Delta) is another possibility, but a some of their stuff is very high priced and not worth it to me. I stay away from the big box store brands. I have found vessel sink faucets are more expensive than kitchen sink ones, possibly because vessels are not all that common. In fact, looking for anything for vessel sinks is difficult here because the few people here will buy them—Grand Jct. does not have a lot of contemporary styles. We haven't decided on color either, but hope to find something in Denver. I could order over the internet, but would rather see them in person.

Bob of Buffalo, the solution to code enforcement is to get along with your neighbors. Almost all code enforcement is triggered by a complaint. It also helps to have neighbors who are far away out in the semi rural areas. So far, so good.

Another snow event is blowing through now—a quarter inch here, half an inch there, a whole inch later, pretty soon you have real snow and out comes the snowblower. Maybe Buffalo will get some snow soon.

Gene
Old 01-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #369
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene; I think when I'm ready, I will have to heat my garage so I can seal my gate parts. Otherwise I'll have to wait a few months and I don't want to do that.

My granite counter tops have white ceramic tiles, on the wall, for the back splash. This house has 6" outside walls and very well insulated, but the granite and tile seam to move a bit. The tile installer used a hard brittle grout and it would pull out and break up. I used bath and kitchen sealer. Like silicone due to the movement. It still comes loose, but not as bad as before. The house had a one year warranty and is now over two years old.

I'm having more problems with my Delta faucets, I hate them. One in the bathroom came loose and can't be properly tightened. It has a base plate [sheet metal] and a one hole mount. Now if they used two bolts or at least put the single bolt in the middle, I wouldn't have this problem. As you try to tighten the off-set bolt, the faucet pulls off of the base plate. There is a half moon plate for under the sink, but it does little or nothing to hold it up right and strait.

I'm looking for a high loop, single handle, brushed nickel, one piece, 4" mount faucet. Why is this so hard to find. The faucet that I installed in my trailer's bathroom would work great. But it seems as though they don't make that one anymore. Why do they always discontinue making the good stuff?????

At our age, getting in and out of a Ferrari might be quite difficult. So I don't think that's a good idea. Besides you're a Toyota man, so no Ferrari for you.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #370
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Never had good luck with Delta faucets. Moen first, got stuck with some Kohler faucets that were decent. It's hard to find good styles sometimes.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:16 AM   #371
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Try Grohe Concetto (sp?)
Old 01-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #372
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Using grout to seal between two different surfaces that expand and contract differently is not good. I look for the most expensive caulk as it is supposed to be more flexible. Even with consumer protection laws with treble damages, suing because of a bad grout job is not economically sensible unless you use small claims court.

I have no problems with the kitchen Delta faucets, but haven't used a bathroom one. We are looking for faucets for vessel sinks, but are unsure what to use. They are more expensive than the kitchen ones, especially if you look for the better cartridges like the Delta diamond ones. The ones with ceramic cartridges are much cheaper, but I don't know how long they will last. Grohe is owned by Delta, but I don't know whether they are better, or just more expensive. When we narrow the faucet selection down, I will start opening boxes to see how they fit.

I have found you can't get most faucets to fit right unless there's someone on top (Barb) holding the faucet in place while I tighten them below. Even then I have to tighten it almost snug and crawl out of the cabinet and make sure it is right and then crawl back and tighten some more. It takes some strength to hold the faucet on top to keep it from creeping off center. More faucets are made with a single hole now instead of the older 4" hole versions.

More snow today and a bit more tomorrow along I-70 to Denver. Looks like not much is predicted and I hope the state will keep the highway clear. We are traveling on weekdays so as not to meet the ski traffic which makes I-70 a mess. I am not excited about going to Denver but there are things we need to do there and we can see our Denver friends.

Looking into the trailer travel season, the Newfoundland trip may not happen. There is a lot to do with the house and I want to finish more of the remodel because I am tired of it and want to finish it. Thinking about the next 4 months, we have so much to do here (besides remodeling), a major trip starting in May seems difficult. An 8 week trip costs as much as $10,000 and that is also a consideration. Even with cheap gas (not so much in Canada even with the Canadian dollar down to 69˘ US) and staying in Walmart parking lots, it still costs a lot. I don't think either of us wants to camp at Walmart—it feels like staying at a rundown Motel 6 (they claim they are fixing them up, but are they?). Years ago we would stay at Motel 6, but we saw them going downhill and stopped going to them. Maybe we will stay within 500 miles of home this coming season, or plan a longer trip in the fall.

Gene
Old 01-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #373
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

I have found you can't get most faucets to fit right unless there's someone on top (Barb) holding the faucet in place while I tighten them below. Even then I have to tighten it almost snug and crawl out of the cabinet and make sure it is right and then crawl back and tighten some more. It takes some strength to hold the faucet on top to keep it from creeping off center. More faucets are made with a single hole now instead of the older 4" hole versions.

Gene
Hi, I still don't like my Delta faucets; I have three in our bathrooms and like the one we had in the kitchen, it's very hard to get warm water. You get cold or hot. One of my bathroom faucets decided to fall to one side. I tried to secure it, but it won't stay straight. What engineering genius thought it was a good idea to have only one bolt and not put it in the center? This a one hole faucet with a sheet metal base to cover the 4" spaced holes.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:46 PM   #374
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Yes, Ken, it is very possible Alfred E. Neumann is running for president after a facial reconstruction and name change. One thing that militates against that is all the declared candidates worry a lot—they worry about their hair, their polls, their clothes., their Twitter presence, their money, their owners—not so much about policies since many of the things they say have no connection to truth or intelligence. Seems like they are being subjected to the modern version of trial by ordeal and the results will be just about as valid. This seems to be true on both sides of the border.

Gene
Sorry To dig up an old post. However, it just came to me in a revelation.

It IS Donald when he was younger.

You have to admit that he doesn't worry.

Its GOTTA be him: Hair and all.

This explains a lot.

Ken

Remember, when the news breaks: You heard it first on Airforums.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #375
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
And who do you think Lucy from Charley Brown is?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #376
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
And who do you think Lucy from Charley Brown is?

The quoted?.....
“He is from the private sector, not a politician. Can I get a ‘Hallelujah!’ ”

Bob

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #377
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Donald didn't look like A. E. Neuman when he was little kid. He looked like a tow headed blond boy from a Norman Rockwell painting. His little brother, Robert, looked like a younger version of him. Donald is America's Mussolini—slightly funny (laughing at him, not with him), narcissistic, militaristic (thrown out of school in 3rd grade, sent to military school), jingoistic, puts business in charge of the government.

Out trip to Denver was uneventful and we saw many faucets, countertops and farmhouse sinks. Ikea is a gigantic store and hard to get around, but they had farmhouse sinks and butcher block countertops at low prices. The butcher block was not genuine (thick veneer [1/8-3/16"] on fiberboard), but it is not for cutting, but for topping. The sinks seemed fine, but I wish they had more options. As for faucets, we saw too many, the Delta version at Lowe's seemed to be the best for a reasonable price. Do we want to spend $500+ per faucet for a Hans Grohe? No.

Saw many old friends and had too many restaurant meals. Denver is booming even more than last year and traffic there is the worst we have ever seen. Friends invited us for dinner the last night and had some Pappa Something's uncooked pizza. Did they not bake the one I had enough? By the next morning I was throwing up, feverish, and miserable. The pizza didn't even taste good. Only two of us had the same one and last I heard, she was ok. The trip back was no fun with snow plus mutual exhaustion from me waking up in the middle of the night in misery. Barb plowed through. I tried to lie down and sleep in the back seat. I am much too long to relax in the back of an FJ Cruiser, but I did for a while. I also coughed a lot, got bouts of the hiccups (between throwing up and coughing up stuff from the cold I had weeks ago, my diaphragm was so irritated hiccups showed up as well as indigestion). That was Friday. Saturday was better, not good. Today we have had about 7 or 8" of snow and as much more expected. So, having recovered enough, out with the snowblower, and Barb with the shovel. This is not legendary Colorado powder, it is heavy and wet. The snowblower stopped blowing, seemingly jammed inside the transmission, but somehow I loosened it up and it kept going. Did about half the driveway, will return. More snow coming, more snowblowing. Cocoa is mandatory after each blow.

Feet is snow used to be normal to us, but we are not so happy with inches these days. At least I don't have fix the snowblower, yet.

Gene
Old 02-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #378
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Snow may have ended and since Saturday has totaled about 14". Since it blows around from time to time, we end up removing it 2 or 3 times. Each day I feel better after my food poisoning experience and go out an blow more snow. We are somewhere over 40" for the season and that's not much, but seems like too much. We are in our 3rd winter here, and this is the most snow we have seen on the ground. It is time to move the trailer one half wheel turn to redistribute tire chemicals, but there's hard packed snow three feet deep in front. Guess that will have to wait.

Latest long trip idea is go to NY and N. England for a month, maybe for leaf peeping. Barb wants to see Toronto, so we could leave the trailer in Buffalo, and drive up for a day, or two. I used to know my way around, but haven't been in Toronto since the mid '70's. There might be a million more people by now.

Gene