Old 11-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #351
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
well Gene, how about starting a new thread, 'off the road' so simple minded folks like myself don't expect to be reading 'trip' reports.

if the Juan de Fuca plate finally slips, i don't think i will be reading your posts

just a thought.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #352
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Trip threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
well Gene, how about starting a new thread, 'off the road' so simple minded folks like myself don't expect to be reading 'trip' reports.

if the Juan de Fuca plate finally slips, i don't think i will be reading your posts

just a thought.
Hi, if you haven't already, you could read my trip thread "Bob, Lee, and Dusty's random trips." This will keep you busy for a few hours. [or days]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #353
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I installed a new Toaster in our Kitchen today.....

Bob
Hi, this toaster looks too complicated for me; We have a simple two slice toaster in our trailer and a small toaster oven in our house. But your's sure looks pretty.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #354
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post

just a thought.
I know every time we travel to the northwest we may be drowned by a tsunami or fall into a hole opened up by the Cascadia earthquake preceding it. Not only do we know people up there and I'll miss them, but I love Market Spice tea from Redmond and might not be able to get it anymore. Get ready to get the RV up into Olympic NP and be above the water when it comes.

I used to do a new "Road Trips" every year, then just kept 2012 going for a few years, but decided to just keep it going with no year appended. I figure only we "simple minded folks" read this anyway.

Less than 6 months to an actual trip. I'm waiting for it to get warmer before I install the new shade for the sunroof. And I may blow out the A/C drain line at the same time. I also need to move the trailer enough to rotate the tires a half turn to kept them healthy.

Gene
Old 11-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #355
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
It didn't get warmer—down close to 10˚ this morning. Maybe I'll moved the trailer tomorrow.

We got the 2015 Newfoundland & Labrador map and tour guide. I looked through some of it and there seem to be some interesting places to go in SE Labrador, though I only saw 2 CG's and they are close to the ferry crossing. I suppose you can just park it somewhere and boondock. No plan to go as far as Goose Bay (300+ miles from ferry) unless it looks good. I can't remember if the road immediately east or west of Goose Bay is the bad one.

Gene
Old 11-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #356
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
So Gene are you beginning to plan Newfoundland & Labrador for 2016? If you are what time of year?
Thanks

Doug

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #357
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Doug,

Barb has suggested a date in early May. I think it was around the 12th. That would bring us home a few days after 7/4 (my 3/4 birthday). It means we would celebrate her birthday and our 30th anniversary together perhaps in Nova Scotia or even Newfoundland. Our trailer would celebrate 60,000 miles somewhere, perhaps Nfd. Our truck would celebrate 110,000 miles in Nfd.

Right now the Canadian dollar is around 67¢ US and I want all Canadians to make sure it goes lower so we can come back with some money left for my medications. Or we may not come back—if some of the crazy people running for president are doing well, we may ask for asylum.

Planning got as far as Cleveland—I figured out how many days and miles to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This is one of the places over the years I've promised Barb we would go to some day; this time I can't say "we'll go on the next trip". This also includes Cooperstown (but that one may have been forgotten, or Hyde Park may have taken its place), the Alexander G. Bell museum on Cape Breton Is. and Hawaii. If we can keep going east, we can stop in Hawaii, but I'd have to use that stuff they advertise on TV that seals everything. Come to think of it, I may have promised the Frank Lloyd Wright house (Taliesin East) in Wis. too. Better not mention that one.

Gene
Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #358
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Thanks for the info Gene.

Yes if the dollar gets much lower your trip next summer will be free. Or even worse we will have to give you $$ when you cross the boarder......

We are planning a trip east in the fall, so I will be interested to read your trip report as you will be a few months ahead of us....

Travel safe
Cheers
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Doug,

Barb has suggested a date in early May. I think it was around the 12th. That would bring us home a few days after 7/4 (my 3/4 birthday). It means we would celebrate her birthday and our 30th anniversary together perhaps in Nova Scotia or even Newfoundland. Our trailer would celebrate 60,000 miles somewhere, perhaps Nfd. Our truck would celebrate 110,000 miles in Nfd.

Right now the Canadian dollar is around 67¢ US and I want all Canadians to make sure it goes lower so we can come back with some money left for my medications. Or we may not come back—if some of the crazy people running for president are doing well, we may ask for asylum.

Planning got as far as Cleveland—I figured out how many days and miles to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This is one of the places over the years I've promised Barb we would go to some day; this time I can't say "we'll go on the next trip". This also includes Cooperstown (but that one may have been forgotten, or Hyde Park may have taken its place), the Alexander G. Bell museum on Cape Breton Is. and Hawaii. If we can keep going east, we can stop in Hawaii, but I'd have to use that stuff they advertise on TV that seals everything. Come to think of it, I may have promised the Frank Lloyd Wright house (Taliesin East) in Wis. too. Better not mention that one.

Gene

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #359
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
So I found if I replace my "e" key that is broken and doesn't work all the time, I have to replace the entire top part of the MacBook for $320. Might as well replace the battery since the Mac is at least 5 years old: $130. Labor $200-250. Shipping for parts, sales tax too. Since I don't need a 17" laptop anymore because I use the iPad most of the time, I'm going to buy a 13" since they are discounted $150 this week (Black Friday has become Black Week) from $999 to $849 with a updated OS that I never bothered with on my 2009 model. Not happy about spending the money (I could get 1.7 Bosch dishwashers), but the time has come.

We will blaze the trail for you Doug. I hope at the border, they will be handing out Canadian dollars and free gas. Not Zimbabwe yet, but give it a chance. Last August we saw the newer Canadian money has a section you can see through—maybe that's why it keeps dropping. Transparent money may not be money at all.

Gene
Old 11-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #360
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I am typing on a new MacBook. I have gone from a big expensive one with lots of bells and whistles to what the store said was an "entry level". I don't think that is a good sales technique. And a Forum member is interested in my 17". He wants it for photos and a semi-functioning "e" won't matter.

Even though the new one isn't that much smaller, it feels light (except if I compare it with Barb's 11").

The great room endless project is one day from the end. Barb is tired of all this and I expect the holiday sensibility makes it look worse than it is So I may not do the kitchen lighting and paint the ceiling and add crown molding until January. I have 2 options (or both)—actually totally finish the great room by adding the tile for the window sills (yeh, the room won't be really finished tomorrow) or build the closet into the shop that makes the exercise room a potential 4th bedroom when the house is sold someday. The latter means Barb won't have to look at any tools for a while, maybe a good idea.

Ever since we moved to the Western Slope, I never feel like we have a normal Colorado winter. Instead of 100-200" of snow, we had a big 80" year, but most are 40 or 50". I know that seems like a lot to many people, but we are used to snow. This super El Niño year is starting out with lots of snow for this desert almost in Utah—about 8" after a bit last night and maybe more for a day or two. Grand Jct. has had 50% more precipitation than normal this year, so we may have a white Xmas and a white April Fools' Day, but probably not a white Memorial Day. To me it doesn't feel like Colorado until snow reaches the top of the fences.

Gene
Old 12-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #361
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
About 5 to 6" of snow during the extended weekend and now we've had about a foot total. There's even some down in warm Grand Jct. Fortunately there's not so much that I have to use the snow blower on the steep driveway.

My complaint with all implements that I have to push or roll (weed whackers, snow blowers, etc.) is that they are made for people who are 5' 5" or maybe 5' 7'' at the most. I always have to bend to use them and my back does not appreciate that. Apparently I am not the only one to find that out since Barb found a forum with a thread about it. I think they recommended attaching U bolts to the handle and move the levers that control the thing to the U bolts. One poster asked a man how tall his wife was. I have tried that approach, but Barb is both too smart not to see through it and is 5' 9" and also has to bend. The levers have too much tension them too, so my arthritic hands get tired too.

But the great room is finished except for the tile on the window sills. I'll be glad to do something else besides woodworking. I have to process a bunch of 1x4 for moldings when it gets warm enough to sand them outside. And I can start on the closet I will build in the basement. A trip to the my in-laws for Xmas and a friend visiting for the New Year's weekend should bring us to next year. Maybe a Solstice Tree will appear soon.

A road trip seems so far away. Driving across the state for Xmas will satisfy a small, very small, part of the need to travel. And now I have to do something I have been putting off for weeks—figure out which insurer has the best prescription drug plan coverage (Part D) at a reasonable premium. Looks like premiums are up substantially since last year and many more plans have deductibles. The Cigna plan we have had this year has changed radically and I suspect a lot of people who do not check this out will be surprised next year with a big premium change and the addition of a large deductible. The information is available on Medicare.gov, but it takes many tedious hours to compare plans and see what costs the least for what we each need. I have a week to do this and I dread it.

Gene
Old 01-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #362
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Six weeks, maybe seven, since my last post. Obviously I have had too much to do (truth: I have been lazy too), but it always seems like I have too much to do.

I have occasionally tiled and grouted the window sills in the great room. Six done, three to do, then caulking. Some sills require 21 cuts on the tile saw and that is tedious. I am tired of the room (which looks great as a great room should) and find planning, dreaming and researching the next projects much easier than working. We have the light fixtures and paint for the kitchen ceiling (which includes a hall to mud room and another semi-room or extra wide hall on the other side) and I have to finish more 1 x 4 for moldings. The 1 x 4 is best sanded outside, but snow and cold make that undesirable. Snow and cold also provides an additional excuse for lethargy. Collecting things for the bathroom—have tile, grout, paint, vessel sinks and drains. Looking for good, reasonably priced faucets, mirrors (will look for Mexican mirrors for adding color to the room while on the way to Santa Fe in Feb.; lower priced mirrors in Taos), shower doors.

Thinking about replacing all of the ugly cabinet doors and drawer fronts in the kitchen and the two main floor bathrooms—40 doors and 36 drawer fronts. Making them saves a lot of money and I am looking at buying a jointer and a planer to get decent boards to make doors—the stuff at the big box stores is not square nor flat. For 40 doors, I may be able to make doors for $45-50 per door (maybe much less, haven't priced rough cut lumber yet) even with cost of tools, paint, jig and bit for cup hinges, etc. We'll look at Ikea doors when in Denver next week, but the call of the power tool is always strong.

Been rebuilding brakes on the Tundra. With 105,000 miles, the brakes started grinding. I suspect a caliper piston was sticking and messing up a rotor. I found a really good deal on rotors, rebuilt calipers (painted red—much too cool) and new pads ($380 and didn't have to send back the core). Seems to be better rotors than I had and other parts equal to OEM. This was a pretty easy job. Brakes sound better, but pedal did not feel better. I have a new master cylinder waiting and bought a vacuum bleeder to save time and trying to have Barb hear me yell "press down on brake", "let up on pedal", over and over. I hope the rear brakes remain ok, because they look harder to replace with the internal drum emergency brake. Otherwise the truck drives like new. Brakes seem to be a Toyota weak point, but there have been 55,000 miles of towing and that is rough on any truck.

The holidays interrupt all things and I became fried on remodeling. That happens periodically and the declining daylight and too many dreary days take their toll. El Niño has made for a wet, snowy and cloudy winter since the end of November. Grand Jct. does not get much snow, but we get more up above the valley. We've had 27 or 28" I'm guessing. That's not much compared to Crawford and far less than when we lived in Evergreen (100-150" seemed normal there). I've had to use the snowblower several times on our steep driveway and have not enjoyed that.

The annual Christmas trip to Pueblo took a big chunk of time. Lots of movies to see and we have. Then Barb caught a cold and kindly shared it. I've had it worse with much sinus and lung congestion, though no fever. We hardly ever got sick when in Crawford since we saw few people and were too remote to have a lot of colds to catch. Now we see lots of people all the time and they are much too infectious. Those old people with their lousy immune systems are trying to kill us! In a year we have had three colds compared to one or none in a year before.

I've been ignoring planning for our big trip and haven't done any repairs or maintenance on the very cold and snow covered trailer. We did watch the DMT recommended movie, The Grand Seduction. The story is not new—a very small town tries to get a doctor, gets one and tries to keep him (Northern Exposure and Doc Martin have similar themes). It is light fare, full of beautiful scenery and Newfoundland characters. We enjoyed it. Maybe we'll have to watch The Shipping News again to get excited. Four months to leaving and it seems like years from now.

The sun is coming back and it is still light at 5 pm. I will stop coughing and sneezing and the sinus headaches will go away. Each day is better, sort of. I'll finally finish the brake job. I'll find an incredible sale on jointers and planers (and then have to learn how to use them). I'll catch up on reading (never have in decades). I'll finish the window sills. I will become younger, not older (ok, maybe not, but my knees hurt less than they have in years). Maybe I'll build that closet I said I would. I will do the kitchen ceiling. And I'll plan the trip. I'll do all the maintenance on the trailer when it gets warm and dry. We go to Denver next week, Santa Fe in a month. Our trip to Pueblo was messed up by snow and a closed pass—hopefully no snow next week or at the end of Feb.

It is almost time for lunch, always a big midday event. Better go. The word processing on the Forum is exceptionally slow and a bit difficult, so there must be a message there.

Gene
Old 01-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #363
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Always good to know you are up and running, Gene.

Maggie
Old 01-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #364
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I don't know how you do it.

Hi, Gene; The more that I read about your house, I'm glad that we bought a new one. But I still have things to do. The HOA finally said it was OK to build a gate in front of my trailer and a fence down the side. This will look nice, but this will make getting my trailer in and out much harder to do. I started designing and building my three piece gate. I found Handi-capped door hinges so my gates can swing all the way around the front of the posts. I made the gate frames out of pressure treated 2" X 4"s. Then it rained for weeks on end and my gate frames got very heavy from being soaked with rain water. I took them down and put them in my garage to dry. I plan to water proof my gates before I put them back up. The instructions say that I can't paint over pressure treated wood for 30 days and it has to be more than 50 degrees too. It's been in the 40's and it's not planning to get warmer for several months. I might have to park Lee's car outside and heat my garage so I can get my gates done. In California, I wouldn't have this problem and would have had my gates done, and maybe the fence too. So do I plan to travel in the summer? Or do I stay home and do my outside projects? If I don't seal the wood, they will get too heavy and turn grey. We don't want a grey wood fence. Also due to the weather extremes, My house expands and shrinks. I now know that it will be a yearly job of re-grouting where my granite counter tops meet the outside walls. I used a flexible grout, but it still pulls out. I finally got my first, and maybe only day of snow. It wasn't much, but I enjoyed it. At 70, this was the first ever snow at my house.

I finally got to use my, recommended from you, snow scraper/brush, for the first time. Dusty got to walk on the snow for the second time in his life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000628.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	255970   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000629.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	255972  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000611.jpg