Old 10-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #337
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Joe Bageant was always a good read.

The early 2000s Morris Berman trilogy is good companion to him if not with the same type of voice.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #338
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our 3rd snow of the winter last night and we got a couple of inches. Each storm has been a little more and we await the heavy snows of El Ni˝o. It was like a warm Sept. until the end of October, no transition, and then freezing temps and below for the past week.

Progress in finishing the paneling and moldings in the "great room" and though I said I'd be finished in October, I will be finished in a week. We ordered new lighting for the kitchen—found it cheapest on Amazon. One lamp came missing one decorative nut that holds the shade to the fixture. Amazon wouldn't send the nut (86ó at a hardware store) and wanted me to send back the package and they would send me a replacement. I set that up, but then they told me I could buy the nut and they would take 20% off the price of one lamp. I got the nut and told them to stop the replacement from being shipped. They shipped it anyway and I told them they had made a mistake. Did they want me to send it back or keep it? They said to keep it. I have a place for it where I was not going to replace a fixture. This all lowered the price/fixture to about $120 each, really cheap for decent lighting. Just about all lighting comes from China now and even the best stuff is not as well done as US manufactured lighting is or maybe, was. But the other issues with the new ceiling lamps (uneven coating on a few places on the fixture) can't be seen from the floor. Chinese fixtures have improved a lot from 15 years ago when they started coming here.

Then a dishwasher started going bad. The soap compartment wouldn't open and the dishes had to be pre-washed. We have 2 dishwashers—previous owners must have entertained a lot. We were at Lowe's getting some paint mixed and Barb suggested we go look at dishwashers for a few minutes. I dutifully followed her (I am really easy to fool some days) and there was a Bosch for $539 marked down from $600. It looked like the one we bought for the last house. The good thing about Bosch is their dishwashers are all about the same except for more insulation and buttons (those added ones hardly anybody uses), so why buy a more expensive one?

A salesboy came over. He looked 15 and I said I wanted a bigger discount. He went over to the appliance manager and was told "no". The manager was busy talking to another couple and pretty much blew off the salesboy. When he returned I asked him if I could get a discount if I bought 2? He went back to the manager and I followed. The manager continued to talk to the other couple and eventually blew us both off. Then I went up front and asked for the store manager—he wasn't there, but I talked to an assistant manager and told him the appliance manager wasn't very receptive to questions and how much for 2? I got them for $500 each. They come Friday. There are no set prices anymore and you might as well ask. Now there will be 2 less white appliances (we went for stainless or it would have been less). And I will never have to replace a dishwasher again unless I make it to 100+.

A couple of days ago I removed the worst of the 2 Whirlpool dishwashers. The dishwasher shut off valve was mounted on a T and faced the back of the cabinet with about 1/8" clearance. It would not turn. The front one (for the sink) worked easily. I got a wrench and managed to turn it about 1/4 turn fearing it would break and either I'd have to turn the shaft with a vise grip or I'd have a hot water fountain in the sink cabinet. It didn't break, but the space was so tight (disposal, pipes, drain, valves) I had to keep changing wrenches because with every quarter turn, the channel locks, or a small visegrip or a very large channel locks, would not fit and I'd have to change wrenches. I turned that valve almost 2 revolutions before it moved freely. Someone must have opened it that much past the stop and somehow didn't break it. I checked the other valve for the slightly better dishwasher and it is just as stuck although it doesn't face the back of the cabinet. The trouble with buying a house where the previous homeowner did a lot of the work himself is that you run into some really strange problems.

To add to the challenges of everyday life, the "e" key on my laptop has to be hit "vry" hard. So hard that a piece of the top of plastic key broke—or maybe it broke, I didn't notice it and that little piece fell down and is obstructing it inside the keyboard. I just tried to fish it out and didn't. Maybe a vacuum will work. Apple makes great stuff, but the laptop keyboards suck—the letter paint wears off (happened on every laptop I've had) and now they break. Speaking of Apple, we saw the Steve Jobs movie—entertainment, but much is made up. I guess the point was to show Jobs was an awful person to work for, but why embellish? There's also a documentary that came out just before this about Jobs which I'd like to see if it ever comes here.

I ordered from Newfoundland tourism the 2015 map and tourist book a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting. I got the movie (The Grand Seduction—not that kind of seduction) that DMT recommended. It is about how a small town tries to keep a doctor who came there for a limited time. This storyline was part of the theme of Northern Exposure and Doc Martin, but I'm always interested in seeing something about the culture of a place I will visit.

I hope to get the kitchen lighting done before Xmas. We'll paint the ceiling while we are at it. Hard to get anything done around the holidays, but we'll try. Dishwashers this weekend. Master bathroom early next year. Also build a closet in the basement and paint kitchen cabinets. I'm sure we'll think of something else and there is trailer maintenance and improvements too. When do I get to retire?

Gene

Old 11-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #339
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You've been very busy, Gene, and gone from here quite a long time.

Welcome back.

Maggie
Old 11-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #340
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I'm hoping for my first white Christmas ever, or at least snow at my house for the first time ever. I think my chances of snow this year, in Salem, are pretty good.

My keyboard for my desk top was acting up, badly. I wanted another wireless key board, but all of the reviews were of new key boards doing what my old one is doing. I had an old wired keyboard in my trailer and that is what I'm using now.

Hey Gene; For $1,000.00, I'll wash your dishes and do a better job than any machine, or two.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #341
DMT
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Yes welcome back Gene....I was getting worried. Great job on the dishwashers! I have had similar pleasure on aged plumbing. Always fun to look back on it, just don't start the job on a Saturday evening when the stores are closed on Sunday. (I speak from experience, as my wife takes pleasure in reminding me).

Different topic but similar in effort - I changed the oil on my Tundra this past weekend. What the.....?? They couldn't make the filter change more complicated? I now know why my father in-law joked that I would need to float a mortgage to have an oil change at the dealer.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #342
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The two dishwashers are installed and work. The shut off valves for the first installation had nylon shafts and like the first one, it was stuck. Trying to turn it with a vise grip resulted in the nylon twisting 'til it broke. All I could find in town was the same crummy double shut off valve for $26! The 2nd installation was going smoothly until the supply line leaked. They always tell you to buy new ones, but I never do. My turn came and I had to go into town for a new one today. Though essentially the same washer that we bought in 2010, this one is very, very quiet. After doing two this weekend, I am ready to install Bosch dishwashers as a profession. I could install (i.e., shackle) Bob for one grand, but then we'd have to feed him (gruel, moldy bread and brackish water and listen to him moan).

After doing things like plumbing when all the stores are closed, I've finally learned and the big box stores are open anytime I'm awake.

And, Don, I have been changing oil on our Tundra since 2007—that's about 20 times. They couldn't make it much harder unless you had to remove the engine to do it. Not bad enough I have to remove the skid plate each time, now I have a front hitch on there to remove too. Removing the filter housing works best with using a 3/8" rachet wrench extension. Spilling oil is mandatory and if you try to drain the filter with the thing they give you to press upward into then bottom of the housing, even more oil sprays you. Most of the time that bottom plug won't unscrew, so I just unscrew the entire housing and manage to spill oil anyway. Some of the screws for the skid plate are stripping out (the two front ones that don't do much) and two of the three that hold the plastic lower part of the bumper disappeared long ago. Since we are not using the truck much, I may not have to change oil until we leave for our giant trip in possibly early May. Next oil change would be at Don's house. Do you have a lift? Do the new ones recommend synthetic oil changes at 10,000 miles like our FJ? I think I've asked this before on the Forum, but since I've always used synthetic oil, and Toyota is now recommending 10,000, not 5,000 miles, for oil changes, why should I change oil at 5,000?

Now that I've got the dishwashers in, back to the "great room", but not today. I like that we now have 2 appliances that aren't white. I find myself looking at fridge and freezer ads—maybe Bob can keep things cold as well as wash dishes. We have matching ones—a fridge with no freezer and an upright freezer. I would replace them with one bottom freezer and one top freezer fridge and get the same cubic feet (maybe) and I wouldn't have to bend over to get things. But I'd have to find a super sale with both types (I saw an Amana bottom freezer stainless and the right size for less than $900 in an ad today—tempting).

Snow predicted for tomorrow. Maybe 1-4". We've had close to 4' so far and this is early for that much so early in this desert.

Gene
Old 11-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #343
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

I installed a new Toaster in our Kitchen today.....

Bob

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity."
Abe Lincolan
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #344
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I was starting to plan my retirement but did not figure on needing two dishwashers and a four slot toaster. I was thinking that I might be able to get by with less, although a 65" television sounded reasonable. It's all too confusing. I think I will keep working. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #345
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I could install (i.e., shackle) Bob for one grand, but then we'd have to feed him (gruel, moldy bread and brackish water and listen to him moan).

Śmaybe Bob can keep things cold as well as wash dishes.

Snow predicted for tomorrow. Maybe 1-4". We've had close to 4' so far and this is early for that much so early in this desert.

Gene

Hi, you don't need a freezer and refrigerator; I could just stuff the food [in my mouth] inside of this stainless steel looking thing.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #346
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob of the West, good idea about keeping things cool in your mouth in the stainless steel looking thing. I would remove the propane tanks to make sure you are cool enough.

Bob of the East, great looking installation. I notice that stainless steel toaster has 10 buttons and two slide controls. Does it wash the toast as well as toast it? Or is it a flying toaster?

Jim of the maple leaf, yes a 65" TV is most reasonable. I have suggested that very thing to Barb, but I have to figure out how to make it fit between a hanging Navajo rug and a mirror. If I can contact Dr. Who, he may be able to do some sort of time/space continuum distortion. And, I'd have to convince Barb, somewhat more difficult than the time/space thingie.

Snowed 3 or 4" during the night and they are calling for as much as 4" more, but the radar shows nothing coming this way, but I'm not a meteorologist, so what do I know?

The best screen saver ever was flying toasters. It was on Macs maybe 25 years ago.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After_Dark_Flying_Toasters.png
Views:	57
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	252235  
Old 11-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #347
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Flying toasters was also available on Windows 3.1😄😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #348
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
geez, how confusing. i click on the thread 'on the road' then on 'road trips' and come to find out it is focused on household maintenance. perhaps that might be a new thread title along with how to change the oil in your truck. and then come to find out, you have to 'install' a toaster, now that is real news to say the least.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #349
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Gene, it was Bob of the east that had the specifications for the television and I tend to just do what he does because of his most excellent research department. Plus retrieving one would involve a Road Trip to a BB near Lackawanna. Who doesn't like former steel towns? Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #350
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
gpt, it is winter here and road trips are memories or in the pre-planning stage. In between all that are maintenance, toasters and other things that may come up for whatever reason. If you dialed back to August, you will discover we were in "Squim" and will see photos to prove it.

I suppose in the rain shadow of the mountains of Olympic NP, it is warm and dry and you can travel along the coast while we shovel snow. I'd like to road trip all year, but we like winter too. And, no earthquakes here.

Wait 'til February when we get really goofy—tired of snow, wishing the sun would come north faster and we could start driving.

Gene