Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #441
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Just dropping in to let you know that we're enjoying the images and narrative.
Thanks from Canada

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #442
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene; We obviously have been there, but enjoy going there again with you. Love the pictures and descriptions.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #443
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
After three times together and one more for Barb, Arches NP is still is a cool place. And we're glad it was relatively cool because when it is hot, it is not so cool to visit.

Canyonlands is much farther from Moab and the best places are the 4wd parts of that Park. Maybe we'll go there again someday, but we'd have to think about taking the trailer and Barb following in the FJ cruiser for backcountry exploration. When we explored Canyonlands 25+ years ago, few permits were required, but I think they are now, so that makes it hard to be spontaneous. For me, Canyonlands is a far better experience, but you have to be prepared and can't drive a full sized pickup or SUV into the 4wd areas. The Needles District is the easiest to see, but getting over Elephant Hill is a challenge—you need a narrow vehicle with a small angle of departure or you would be dragging the tail on the many benches you have to climb to get to the top of that Hill. A long vehicle is very hard to use to get down the other side of Elephant hill because of severe switchbacks and the place where you have to back up for a while because you can't make the turn with any vehicle.

The Maze District is the most remote. Usually people go from Green River and have to go down Flint Trail, bumpy, narrow and sometimes in really bad shape after rains. Then there's three miles of slick rock to maneuver. Only then do you get to there places where there are trails into the Maze. Further on is the Doll House where you see some really cool shaped red rocks and a view down to the confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers. We never hiked down to there. There is a trail from the south which avoid the Flint Trail, but it is very, very long.

Island in the Sky is the third District of the Park. There's a 4wd trail around the edge which has some great views, but it is dry and dusty for camping. I prefer the other two Districts.

As we stay here our days change as we sleep late, eat breakfast late and get out of the trailer in the early afternoon. We plan to go to the local museum as it is free day and then have a very late lunch in town. It will be difficult to get up early on Wednesday when we leave.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #444
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We visited the local museum yesterday. Typical for a small town museum, it had displays about uranium mining, pioneers, Indians before whites came here and geology. Some exhibits had mistakes in the descriptions as is often found in such museums. Sometimes we see something that is really interesting, but Barb had an allergy problem soon after we entered. The cottonwood trees are pollinating, but we saw no tree inside. As soon as she left, she felt better. The museum is free on Monday and I liked that.

We ate lunch out—at 3:30 in the afternoon. They overheated my meal in the microwave, making it super hot and burned the cheese on top. It is hard to just look at your food when you're hungry. Eventually I got a piece and put it on my fork resting it on top (where all the heat goes). Then I blew on it, finally risking my mouth. Then I drowned it with water and it was still too hot! Then we heard the waiter warn others that their plates were very, very hot. Not just the plate, guys.

A quick survey of some shoppees, fortunately quick, and we returned to our outpost and watched a DVD. Another day if low accomplishment.

Today we go to another free museum at a posh resort up Utah 128, go to the Castle Valley and drive a loop road skirting the Las Sal Mountains. We actually got up early, around 9, ate out for breakfast where the huevos rancheros were an alien version not too close to New Mexico standards. Provisions at the City Market were obtained and I got a new comb.

The other day, after a nap, I was combing my hair and as I ended at the back of my head, I felt the comb fall out (or pulled out?) of my hand. Barb was watching and said the comb just disappeared from my hand. We tore the bed apart, looked over and under, in shoes, in my clothes, everywhere. No comb. Is there a black hole at the back of my head? If so, how long do I have? Demons? Some Airstream malfunction? How have I survived for two days without my own comb?

Gene

Old 05-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #445
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Shave your noggin...the comb will show up....

Bob
Old 05-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #446
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Shave your noggin...the comb will show up....

Bob

Gene,

Maybe it went down the back of your pants and lodged between your cheeks. Have you checked there? If you find it wash it before use.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #447
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Gene,

Maybe it went down the back of your pants and lodged between your cheeks. Have you checked there? If you find it wash it before use.

Ken
I had considered an unwanted colonoscopy, bit don't think that would be possible to not notice. Hasn't showed up so far, but I have new comb. I tried combing my hair sitting in the same spot on the bed and see if the newest one disappeared. It didn't. Mystery still unsolved.

Gene

Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #448
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
This morning we went to the Eclectic Cafe—they don't spell it that way, but I can spell it this way, so I did. You walk up to a line in front of a counter and woman takes your order. I ordered huevos rancheros and tea. She slammed down the cup spilling hot water all over. Not a good start. I will not order huevos rancheros in Utah again. There was a lot of food and Barb liked her breakfast. A quick trip to the supermarket, back to trailer to pack up for today's expedition. In years past that would mean some challenging 4wd road in the wilderness or backpacking up a trail and tenting. Nowadays it means taking a ride.

We went back up Utah 128 and stopped at the Red Cliff Lodge for the free museum. It has some local artifacts plus a lot of movie posters and photographs, mostly from films made around Moab. John Ford made quite a few here switching from Monument Valley in the 1950's. Too much to read, but interesting to see all that movie memorabilia. It is next to the registration building and down in the basement; ask at the desk to find it.

Next to the Loop—a road through Castle Valley and then up to the subalpine part of Manti-La Sal NF. There is a town of Castle Valley and a ranch too. The road, once we got several miles in, became poorly maintained, in places turning to dirt and gravel. Other places had been newly paved. Still drivable and some good views of various valleys while at today's snowline in places. The road loops around Moab and eventually rejoins 191 south of Moab.

I got in a nap while the Indiana election commentators droned on and Barb did some shopping. Tomorrow we go home. This KOA has a rule against backflushing your back tank even though they have a back flow preventer on their water line. I'll figure out something even if means running water at the toilet for a while until it is full.

Photos:

1. Another balanced rock seen as we left Arches.

2. Traffic in downtown Moab. There's always lots of it and a surprising amount of 18 wheelers come through here.

3. An older brick building in downtown Moab. Mostly what you see in Moab is tourist buildings and none match the other. Strip development is rampant here and the result is ugly. But there are a few blocks of older buildings, about all that was here when we first came in the late '80's. Did not get a photo of the Uranium Building though. It is a strange modernistic structure from the 1960's.

4. On the road through the Castle Valley.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	261846   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	261847  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	261848   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	261849  

Old 05-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #449
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
More photos:

1. Looking north at the Castle Valley from the La Sal Mountains.

2. The Loop road through the subalpine ridges.

3. A view west from the Loop road. It looks a lot like the rocks in photo #1 and may be, but there are a lot of rocks that look like that around this area.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	125
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	261850   Click image for larger version

Views:	101
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	261851  

Views:	110
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	261852  

Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #450

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Love the pictures, Gene. Keep them coming.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #451
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Great Thread

I'm liking the pics and narrative....Thanks Gene...
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #452
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Nice thread

Looks like a great trip. You make me want to visit that country. Thanks for the writeup and photos. I hope you are both over that bug you caught.

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #453
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A few more photos below. Got back last week and started working on stuff as always. I think I have solved the driveway parking and now know the exact points to aim for. I now get the trailer parked in about 4 minutes. It used to take me 20 at times.

Reminds me of Ken's driveway in Washington. When they bought the house, the driveway though it appears big in photos, but when you stand in it, you can see how difficult it could be. It takes a while, but eventually you solve it.

Started working on kitchen countertops. I'm learning how to use the planer and jointer. Making butcher block countertops seems about as easy a project as I could think of with these new machines. The first piece is drying. I am using Watco Danish Oil cherry flavored to bring out the rich reds in red oak. Over the oil will be many coats of polyurethane. It came out pretty well though it is hard to make sure the glued together piece is perfectly level. The clamps sometimes start curving the wood. I saw a photo in a magazine of someone clamping half the clamps from the bottom and half from the top. That sounds easier than it is, especially with a heavy hardwood. Using Titebond III glue, the best reasonably priced wood glue, means working fast since the glue sets up fast—8 minutes according to one article. Since I have the strips around 1 1/8" wide (they vary), that means 24 strips for a 25 1/2 deep countertop. That's a lot of glue and a lot of clamping and unclamping. It took 2 1/2 days to cut the wood, plane and joint it and cut it some more, arrange it for best look, glue it, sand it, coat it with Danish Oil. It'll take about 3 days of polyurethaning and wet sanding to finish it and then install it. I am unsure how the countertops were installed, but if they were glued, it will be a challenge to release them.

Our last house had off the shelf "butcher block" Formica. We hated it, but it took us 10 years to replace it. The irony—this house has the same. Three years this time to replace it. Once I finish the first piece, 5 to go ranging from 23" to 65" wide. No corners, no curves, fortunately. The new machines make it easier to get the wood properly sized, but it still is an art. I suppose I could buy computer operated machines for multibucks, but even then it is wood. Wood is alive even after being cut. You can cut a pretty straight piece the long way and the next day (or sooner sometimes) the two pieces curve as they are released from the original way they were cut (why doesn't curved wood ever seem to straighten?). At least it is dry here, so the wood usually doesn't pick up moisture—that can cause more twists, turns and other surprises. You can cut all the wood one day, come back the next and it is curved too much to use it, or you can, but have to clamp it very tight. And spaces between pieces of even 1/64" look enormous. I used the oak sawdust (looks like reddish flour) with a little water forced into the spaces and it seemed to fill them well; then I immediately oiled the wood so that the wood flour would stay in place. You can see the space, but it is now dark and looks natural.

Only a couple of weeks 'til we go to Ouray. Still have no idea of summer trips.

Photos:

1. Getting ready to leave the KOA in Moab. La Sal Mountains in distance. This is a very ordinary KOA. We were in a new section where in 20 years the trees will provide shade. In the summer Moab can be very hot (best to visit Utah parks in the spring and fall), so if you go here, try to get some shade trees when you request a space.

2. More window reflections. This is part of the rock walls that intimidate people on Utah 128; some lean over the road, but you'd have to have a 25' high trailer to worry about it. Mostly the rocks are 2 or 3' from the highway's edge, but there is a short section that is closer. The walls are a small part of the drive and seem less intimidating than the westbound side with a river a few feet away and 20' down.

3. Just can't get rid of the windshield reflections. Another part of 128. River is in the bottom middle. I know it looks like smoke coming from the top of the hill on the right and I have no idea what it is.

4. The remains of the original Dewey Bridge from the new one. The tower for the north side of the one time suspension bridge is visible and you may be able to see the cables that now hang down. Some of the original decking is hanging from a few of the cables even though the deck burned a long time ago.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	128
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	262277   Click image for larger version

Views:	125
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	262278  

Views:	149
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	262279   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	262280  

Old 05-10-2016, 09:47 PM   #454
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Road Trips

Don't forget to put polyurethane on both top and bottom of the butcher block. If you don't, it will do weird things. Don't ask how I found this out....😄

I like the look I get from clear water-based polycrylic. Goes on milky, sands out nice between coats and cures really hard but flexible. Seems to be really durable.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #455
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I put one coat of Danish oil on the bottom and yes, I have learned to coat the back of things and the ends of doors to keep them from expanding too much during damp times. I will coat the bottom again with polyurethane and two coats of sealant should be enough. The top will get 6 coats of polyurethane on top of the Danish oil. How did I decide on 7 coats?—inspiration perhaps.

I know about the polyacrylic and we considered using it. The urethane version tends to get reddish after time while the acrylic option is supposed to stay clear. But with this we wanted a bit of reddish coloration plus I had a full gallon of polyurethane and didn't want to have it stand around too long. The fact that I had that gallon may have led to rationalization, but I don't want to think that.

Ten days to Ouray.

Gene

Old 05-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #456
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Hey Gene,

Clamping some cauls over the top of the counter during glue-up may keep it flat. At least that's what the experts recommend. I've never taken the time to make any though. Usually some care during clamping and some planing or sanding afterward does the trick for me.

Don

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-12-2016, 11:27 PM   #457
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Understand the desire for a reddish hue. I would have trouble not using a gallon of polyurethane--I suspect the design department (DW) would have a low opinion of wasting the money...and she would figure out a good use of the material.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #458
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Don, I didn't know what a caul was until I just looked it up. I had thought of doing something like that before I knew the name but I feared they would stick to the glue that always oozes out after you finish with the gluing and walk away. I glued up half a piece (#2) and kept it pretty level by using two clamps on the bottom and two on the top. I may use cauls next.

Once I placed the new countertop (piece #1) on top of the old Formica, the original oak next it to looked yellowish by contrast. I thought of comparing the colors before finishing the new piece and seeing if we were going down the right road, but didn't want to carry the very heavy new countertop upstairs to compare. I will separate the oaks with subway tile and that should ease any color clash. The curve in this piece is not noticeable to the eye though I reserve judgment until we put things on it. Later I'll get the Formica out and install it. I have to level the bottom since it rocks a little and then back prime the areas I chisel down.

The oak cabinets are planned to stay the same, but to do new drawer fronts and doors and paint them. It is tempting to think about also painting over the oak, but more work than I need to consider now.

I have scheduled a plumber to put in a new gas line for the new stove. I've done black pipe gas line before and not blown up another house, but this house has the plastic pipe that I know nothing much about, so I'll pay someone. He discovered the nearest line to tap is too small (I wouldn't have known that), and he figured out how to solve that. I have to schedule the stove delivery, pull out the electric oven and store it and get things ready to remove the longest old countertop, switch the sink, tile around that area (we found a dark grey porcelain tile that felt just right), install new countertops, make sure I have a 120 v. receptacle for the new stove, remove the 240 v. receptacles for the oven and cooktop, remove the Thermador electric cooktop without breaking it (apparently a big problem with this one—a broken one is harder to get rid of than an unbroken one), cut up the old countertop to ready it for the dump, strip some Formica backsplash off and probably a bunch of other things.

I was looking at how much polyurethane I used for the first piece and figure it'll take about 2/3 of a gallon for the whole project. Then before I use it again, a hard crust will develop over the top and I'll only be able to salvage part of it before I use it again. I could try putting some plastic wrap over the top of the remaining liquid like I do for thinset or drywall mud, but I'm afraid it would become part of the liquid and create more problems.

I have to make 3 more pieces, go to Ouray, host a party and have the oven out by June 1; rest of countertop next day. That's why I'm sitting here writing this instead of working. It is so much easier.

Bird issue: Some birds attack low-e windows because they think they see another bird flying toward them to attack, but it is themselves they see in the reflective surface. We have a small bird attacking our great room windows for hours at a time. I have tried to sneak up on him with a hose, but he is too fast and has too good hearing (he hears me around the corner). He is leaving a mess on the windows (feathers, bird slime or whatever) and they are about 15' above the ground. Not easy to clean. We hung a fake bird on the inside of the window to scare him away, but it didn't work. I can't get close to him at all and have no solutions that will not destroy that side of the house. I will continue to try to get him with the hose, but "tactical" nuclear weapons start to seem reasonable. Maybe I need to find him a mate so he is otherwise engaged; is there a website for birds seeking a date?

Gene

Old 05-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #459
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Shot him through the window from inside with a shotgun.

That'll fix him good.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:06 AM   #460
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, put a fake cat near the window.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote