Old 09-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #309
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Yes, Ken, it is very possible Alfred E. Neumann is running for president after a facial reconstruction and name change. One thing that militates against that is all the declared candidates worry a lot—they worry about their hair, their polls, their clothes., their Twitter presence, their money, their owners—not so much about policies since many of the things they say have no connection to truth or intelligence. Seems like they are being subjected to the modern version of trial by ordeal and the results will be just about as valid. This seems to be true on both sides of the border.

But, I digress….

Maybe more photos of Chinatown later, or even later. Meanwhile, a trip to the optometrist (an friend of 25+ years) for lunch and an eye exam just before I have to renew my driver's license in the next few weeks. I'd like to know if I am going to pass an eye exam before I take the state one. For some reason old people have to take an eye test more frequently than younger people. Don't they understand we have so much practice that we don't have to see?—we use The Force. Reminded of the wonderful program, "Canada's Worst Drivers" with the woman with 20/100 vision who was the most improved driver one week.

Gene

Old 09-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #310

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Good one...(may need to rely on 'The Force' pretty soon myself; those traffic signal little green arrows are getting harder to see).

Old 09-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #311
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I was just going over my credit card charges for the northwest trip and it looks like CG rates are starting to go up. They've been in the $30-40 range for years, but now are getting higher—maybe $35-45. Public parks keep getting more expensive and reservation charges are really annoying. In BC, you get a $6 reservation charge for each night you stay at the CG. That's plus the campsite charge.

House is mostly painted. It got windy Sunday afternoon, so spraying was out and things went slower than the painter expected, so several hours more next weekend to finish. Then we have the back deck to paint and the house is done. Meanwhile we're working on the great room again and hope to have that finished by sometime in October. Kitchen cabinet painting plus drawer and door pulls to be installed after. Maybe some bead board. Discussions about countertops continue—I want porcelain tile and Barb wants stone or maybe some other kind of slab. Tile will cost thousands less than stone or something else and with narrow grout lines and a matching grout color, will look great. Other than sealing the grout every few years, no other maintenance.

And friends who have put their house up for sale near Crawford have had few viewings. Their house is much more conventional than ours was, but is further from town, on a dirt road, at least one realtor thinks the finishes are too simple to justify the asking price. Not a full open style kitchen/dining/living room; that's very popular now. Asking price is high for the area, so I think they will be going through what we did, hopefully not for four years.

More photos:

1. This is the most narrow street in Canada—an alley in Chinatown. I must have had a seizure because the photo is not clear. A bike or a wheelchair could get through. At the most narrow, Fan Tan Alley is 35". There are other alleys in Chinatown and some have stores along them. We did find a bakery with delightful pastry at the end of this alley; I think it was a French bakery, not Chinese.

2. Further down the alley, it got wider and stores with tourist paraphernalia were on both sides.

3. Victoria's inner harbor is quite busy with float planes, water taxies, fishing boats, ferry to Washington, tour boats. Cruise ships dock just outside the inner harbor.

I had some photos of the Strait of San Juan de Fuca and the shoreline of the Pt. Angeles area, but I'm going to have to look at them carefully because they kind of look like some photos of the Columbia R. Some times when sending photos from the camera to the laptop, they don't go in the same order.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	248135   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	248136  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	248137  
Old 09-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #312
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I believe picture 1 is out of focus because either you or your camera's auto focus decided the door frame at extreme right was a great thing to focus on. Perhaps for some esthetic reason it is appropriate. I got an F- in Esthetics 101.

Ken
Old 09-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #313
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I got an F- in Esthetics 101.

Ken
Maybe because it is spelled "aesthetics".

Gene
Old 09-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #314
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I was just going over my credit card charges for the northwest trip and it looks like CG rates are starting to go up. They've been in the $30-40 range for years, but now are getting higher—maybe $35-45. Public parks keep getting more expensive and reservation charges are really annoying. In BC, you get a $6 reservation charge for each night you stay at the CG. That's plus the campsite charge.

House is mostly painted. It got windy Sunday afternoon, so spraying was out and things went slower than the painter expected, so several hours more next weekend to finish. Then we have the back deck to paint and the house is done. Meanwhile we're working on the great room again and hope to have that finished by sometime in October. Kitchen cabinet painting plus drawer and door pulls to be installed after. Maybe some bead board. Discussions about countertops continue—I want porcelain tile and Barb wants stone or maybe some other kind of slab. Tile will cost thousands less than stone or something else and with narrow grout lines and a matching grout color, will look great. Other than sealing the grout every few years, no other maintenance.

And friends who have put their house up for sale near Crawford have had few viewings. Their house is much more conventional than ours was, but is further from town, on a dirt road, at least one realtor thinks the finishes are too simple to justify the asking price. Not a full open style kitchen/dining/living room; that's very popular now. Asking price is high for the area, so I think they will be going through what we did, hopefully not for four years.

More photos:

1. This is the most narrow street in Canada—an alley in Chinatown. I must have had a seizure because the photo is not clear. A bike or a wheelchair could get through. At the most narrow, Fan Tan Alley is 35". There are other alleys in Chinatown and some have stores along them. We did find a bakery with delightful pastry at the end of this alley; I think it was a French bakery, not Chinese.

2. Further down the alley, it got wider and stores with tourist paraphernalia were on both sides.

3. Victoria's inner harbor is quite busy with float planes, water taxies, fishing boats, ferry to Washington, tour boats. Cruise ships dock just outside the inner harbor.

I had some photos of the Strait of San Juan de Fuca and the shoreline of the Pt. Angeles area, but I'm going to have to look at them carefully because they kind of look like some photos of the Columbia R. Some times when sending photos from the camera to the laptop, they don't go in the same order.

Gene

RE: Countertops . . . . just one thought my friend.... happy wife, happy life
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #315

Quote:

Discussions about countertops continue—I want porcelain tile and Barb wants stone or maybe some other kind of slab. Tile will cost thousands less than stone or something else and with narrow grout lines and a matching grout color, will look great. Other than sealing the grout every few years, no other maintenance.

Gene
You know the issue is not up for debate. It is only a matter of how to surrender without losing face.

Just remember:

I have no idea what that means, but it must have some application to this.

Ken

P.S. Picture is also a link to website on how to surrender and convince yourself you still won.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:08 AM   #316
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
This stuff gets good reviews: SpreadStone Countertop Refinishing Kit

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #317
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Well, our discussions about style and materials are sometimes quite easy and sometimes not. Barb sees color better than I do and the final decision is up to her (unless she wants to paint the whole house pink*). I see shapes or proportions in my head and she doesn't. I know more about materials and the history of design than she does. I also know what is impossible or requires an army of tradesmen (and -women) to do. We go back and forth on this and eventually come to enlightenment. It helps that we agree on basic design and goals and the question is how to fit individual projects into those standards. We always work it out, but it can take time. It is true a happy wife is a good thing, but so is a happy husband. Neither of us want the other to accept something they hate.

So, I came up with an idea to demonstrate how a tile countertop will look great. It will also put my ideas to the test and thus I'm taking a chance I'll look like a fool. The master bathroom also needs work. That can include a tile countertop. So I came up with a complete plan for a bathroom remodel including a tiled countertop just like I would build in the kitchen. I kind of surprised myself because it was so complete—I outlined it while driving into town—but I've been thinking about it for 2 years. Maybe we will do that this winter—new countertop, sinks, faucets, paint, mirrors, shower doors and some tile around the doors. The shower/tub combination (2 showers plus a separate tub with its own shower—a monument to overkill) will stay the same until the day I decide to re-tile it and figure out what to do with an ugly tub and shower floor. The tiled countertop will convince her to move ahead on the kitchen counters (maybe).

Ken, "surrender" means to give up your preconceptions, resentments, BS and such, not to give up your soul, the meaning of life or other cherished beliefs. So walk on the beach** at sunrise (you are on the wrong side of the peninsula to walk at sunset, so don't wait for sunset—all you'll see is Seattle and that won't be inspirational) and open yourself to cosmic rays of discovery and healing, eat your tofu and hear the message of the cats.

Gene

*We once, when looking at houses years ago, toured one that was all pink inside—walls, carpets, ceilings, tile, everything but the stone around the fireplace, and one white room in the basement that was a sewing room. That house was on the market for many years until the people finally figured it out. Sold pretty fast after they changed color.

**Note the person walking on the beach in #315 appears to be wearing a dress. So it proves a woman can surrender too.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #318

Quote:

**Note the person walking on the beach in #315 appears to be wearing a dress. So it proves a woman can surrender too.
Sorry to burst your bubble. That figure on the beach is the well know goddess "SHE", whom all (heterosexual) men on earth since the begining of time must worship at each sunset. They must do this in order to increase their chances of gratification later in the evening. This is the surrender spoken of here. It is the surrender of power to the source of earthly pleasures.

It is up to you, Grasshopper, to make the choice between power or pleasure.

Ken
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #319
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I never watched TV when the grasshopper show was on, but I believe it was about beating up people and acting spiritual. I shall surrender to my power, locate my inner being, assess my location, adjust my force field, quantify my pleasure and take a nap.

Gene
Old 09-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #320
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Painters are finishing up outside, work slowly progressing inside and the pickup has a new oxygen sensor. The FJ Cruiser will get new tires Monday since the crappy OEM tires create front end shimmy no matter how we rotate them (yes, the front end is fine and the tires are balanced—had that checked). Though there's still a fair amount of tread, Michelins should ride better, give us better gas mileage and last a long time.

Hope to winterize the trailer tomorrow and delay all the other maintenance items and improvements for a while.

'Tis talk like a pirate day, arghhh! But why stop with talk?—use the cannon to ravage the nearest town and be off with the jewels, gold and women.

Gene
Old 09-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #321
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, winterize already? Or does this just mean that you are done traveling for the year? I most likely will have to do mine when we get home. I also have a list of things that need to be redone, fixed, and improved. Trailers take a beating on long trips like mine. My truck will need servicing and a major detail job. I think I'm just going to blow out the lines, drains, and fixtures this year and do without the pink stuff.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #322
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, we are finished with travels for this year although we have discussed one more short trip. But we have to finish the house painting, the great room and visit Pueblo for Barb's parents 90th birthday celebration (they are the same age, but 5 months apart). Lots to do and I hope to finish the great room by mid-October. I keep thinking of going to the hot springs 90 miles away, but will have to forgo that one or stay in a motel.

Since you've moved to a colder climate, there is some irony in not using the pink stuff this year. So long as you have the water pump bypass, feeding it antifreeze is the easiest part of the process. Looks like the drought and warm weather is supposed to continue in the northwest for a while though and you could travel well into December.

Our maintenance/improvement list has 20 items of which one has been done (park it on wood, not gravel) and that was very easy. I'm sure other things will come to us as well. I think most of it will be deferred until spring. It looks like we may get a lot of snow here this winter—El Nińo usually brings lots of snow to southwest Colorado, maybe not so much elsewhere. It depends where the polar jet stream settles.

I've been wondering how your new F-150 is doing. Consumer Reports had a mixed review on it and especially didn't like the "infotainment" system. Did not like handling either, but CR always trashes truck's on that. Are you taking the middle route (I-70 or US 50) back?

Presently avoiding making a shelf. I saw an article last year about how to mount shelves without any brackets or anything else showing, so that's what I'm doing. The steel L brackets are on the wall, under paneling, but sticking out. I will cut (dado) a groove in the bottom of the top piece of shelving so the completed shelf can slide onto it. The complete shelf will have another piece of wood identical to the dadoed one, glued and screwed to it, then edge banding applied with stainless screws and washers (little bit of industrial look we used on the other side of the room too). The shelf assembly will slide onto the brackets and I will run a few screws from the top (unless you are more than 7' tall, you can't see the top) to hold it in place. One sconce on the wall is already installed and another on the other side of the shelf will go up soon, so we will have much better lighting in the room. Any lamps we use a lot are being converted to LED's as we go along. We are looking at new lighting for the kitchen where we can use LED's too. I have to get a lot done before friends come at the end of the month so the great room doesn't look like a construction zone.

Gene