Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #421
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rain, sleet, hail, snow. Days of it and more through the weekend. Winter storm predictions in the mountains, though it may miss us since we are a little too low (6,900'). Managed to sanitize the water system yesterday despite yuck weather. Today the weather is worse and I don't even want to do anything. El Nińo's revenge.

We will press on.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #422
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Sorry to hear that you've been sick. Best to both you and Barb

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #423
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Rain, sleet, hail, snow. Days of it and more through the weekend. Winter storm predictions in the mountains, though it may miss us since we are a little too low (6,900'). Managed to sanitize the water system yesterday despite yuck weather. Today the weather is worse and I don't even want to do anything. El Nińo's revenge.

We will press on.

Gene
yes; we had reservations at James Robb arriving yesterday but moved to an arrival for today. We are still deciding if we are going to head over today or just cancel. It's wet all over.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #424
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Might as well be wet on the road as at home, Steamy'. How long does it take you to get here from Steamboat? Which way do you go?

Precip in Moab as well as here through Tuesday. It'll keep the tourists inside while we own the outside. And maybe we'll catch up on reading (ha!, never have, but I keep hoping).

There seems to be a bike race downtown Saturday in GJ as well as some other stuff sponsored by the bikers at the local college. We'll stay away from that and should be out of town long before the downtown race. More and more bike races are happening around here and they never seem to tell anyone who may be affected and how—some outfit called Epic has one towards the end of the next month which may affect us (delays, bikers racing on a narrow curvy road, etc.) and make it difficult to take Barb out for her birthday (music festival plus bike races are good for tourists, not so much for locals). Epic doesn't seem responsive to residents' concerns

Back to loading the fridge and then hitch up the truck. Seems like we're getting it done early, but I'm sure there will be plenty of stuff for the morning.

Gene

Old 04-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #425
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Gene, we've not met but I want you to know that I follow your "On the Road" writings and I enjoy them very much. I'm sorry to learn that you and Barb were so sick from the flu. Wish you both complete recovery. Scary stuff!
Saw your pix of Santa Fe and wish we had known you were here so we could say hello in person. Next time .
Regards, Jan

Nightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #426
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jan, you must have a life since you've posted 5 times in 2 1/2 years.

Thanks for the compliment. This is easier than real writing where there are style books, editors, more editors, etc. We appear to be fully recovered. They took the oxygen away yesterday though it was difficult to get them to do because they wouldn't check with the doc and see if I needed it anymore. All the doc would do was ask me if I needed it. Maybe they won't take it away or check with the doc because the longer the equipment is here, the more they get paid; it was here a week longer than necessary. Medicare rules will drive you crazy and a some of these medical suppliers are run by less than competent people.

Gene

Old 04-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #427
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
10 am and it appears to me things are just about packed, but I am often wrong since there are things I just never imagine need to come with us. It is 110 miles to Moab, an easy drive with some challenges on Utah 128. Most of the road is fine, but there are, as you get closer to Moab, narrow, curvy sections with rocks hanging over the road on the south side and the Colorado River on the north side. Reminds me of the various coast highways in California, but a lot fewer miles on 1287 than along the coast. This road intimidates a lot of people and they go further west on I-70 and then take US 191 south to Moab. We'll see and assess whether we want to hug the rocks coming back on Wed.

There is a classic car show in Moab today and we might make it in time to check it out (if it is free). The town's museum is free on Mondays and we like free.

It was 32˚ yesterday morning and mid 30's today. Now up to low 40's. Moab will be 5-7˚ warmer than home, so I shouldn't have to disconnect the water hose at night, always a pain as it gets stiff and hard to coil below 40˚. Rain, snow, etc., predicted here through Tuesday, but on until Monday morning in Moab. We in the desert always like rain, but when it goes on for days, we start to get crazy.

Gene

Old 04-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #428
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Gene I have a 6 " jointer but after many years of making trapezoids I decided to try the old fashion approach. Here it is and this is what I've done today. Looking forward to the report on yours when you get back.
DonClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1462034521.511983.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	261571Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1462034535.234683.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	261572

Old 04-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #429
Rivet Master

Its about 200 miles, so three and a half hours is usually a good travel time. We drive to Craig on Hwy 40 then down Hwy 13 through Meeker to Rifle. Another way is to go down Hwy 131 to Wolcott, then I70 west. The mileage is about the same so theoretically it should take less time since you would be on I70 for a greater proportion of the trip, but it has never worked out with pulling the trailer. I just don't take advantage of the 75MPH speed limit.

We changed our reservation dates to drive down on May 8th. Would like try the 6th or 7th, but weekends are sold out, so we will settle for a Sunday arrival.

I guess we are now paying for the mild March weather.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #430
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
It was 32˚ yesterday morning and mid 30's today. Now up to low 40's. Moab will be 5-7˚ warmer than home, so I shouldn't have to disconnect the water hose at night, always a pain as it gets stiff and hard to coil below 40˚. Rain, snow, etc., predicted here through Tuesday, but on until Monday morning in Moab. We in the desert always like rain, but when it goes on for days, we start to get crazy.

Gene
Have you tried one of the ZeroG hoses? I just bought one following the recommendation of a Bambi owner we were parked next to in West Yellowstone last September. It seems like it is a lot easier to handle than a standard hose. He was pretty happy with it.

I have yet to test it on a trailer hook-up other than spraying out the garage.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #431
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steamy, thanks for the information. It does say the one at Lowe's is drinking water safe. Temps are supposed to stay in the 40's at night, so no problems here. Seems like it takes forever to get to Steamboat, but we used to do it starting in Crawford and going over McClure Pass. With the bridge construction mess in Glenwood, I want to avoid that town, but don't have to go through town from GJ. Hopefully it is quicker from GJ should be go there this year.

Don, you made a lot of wood shavings and can keep warm for a day. Looks like you made a big board. I have to do the adjustments and read how to do all this and then buy some rough cut wood and try it out. I thought of bringing all the articles I have on how to do stuff, but decided to relax and be stupid instead.

We left about 11 and drove to I-70, then going west to the Cisco exit (#214). It was sunny! At last. The Cisco exit isn't called that anymore because Cisco is a ghost town of collapsing buildings, trashed RV's and a few "buildings" that may be inhabited. It is not an appealing place. If you get of I-70 east of Cisco you travel on a badly maintained county paved road for 7 miles before the turnoff on Utah 128. it saves 6 miles instead of getting off the interstate at the 128 junction. This is all high desert, empty and dry. From Cisco you go downhill for about 10 miles to the Colorado River. The road follows the river on the north for several miles, then you arrive at the Dewey Bridge. The original one lane bridge, built around 1930, was a very long suspension bridge with a wood deck. In the 1980's, the state built a modern concrete bridge. The historic Dewey Bridge caught on fire after a kid started a brush fire and it spread to the old wood deck. There has been talk about restoration for years, but nothing has been done. After all, the County couldn't afford a two lane bridge 85 years ago.

The highway now follows the south side of the river to the junction with US 191 just north of Moab and near the entrance to Arches NP. The road is about as narrow as they can make a two lane, maybe 9' in places. On the river side, there is often between zero berm and a couple of feet. When next to the river there is a steep embankment about 10-20' high and then muddy water. The other has rocks close to the road. The narrow, curvy, scary part is about 15 of the 30 or so miles along the river.

This is the part that scares people, especially those who are not familiar with mountains or haven't towed much. They do not enjoy the spectacular canyon or Fischer Tower, a landmark along the way. In 2007, on our first real trip with our brand new trailer (we had towed it 240 miles from the dealership), we took this road. It was scary and we returned via 191 to avoid hugging the rocks. After 55,000 miles with the trailer, this was a pretty canyon with a road that needs attention to the road. But this time I could enjoy the drive. We've been on worse roads many times by now. We'll probably return hugging the rocks. My advice—if this sort of road bothers you, take 191. Then unhitch and drive along 128 to Dewey Bridge and back and enjoy the sights.

Ever time we come to Moab it is bigger and more commercialized. More and more 20th century tourist buildings—small hotels, modern square buildings, and some fake "older" buildings. We started coming to this part of Utah in the mid-'80's and it seems many times bigger and getting uglified. Fortunately, the red rocks, mountains, desert are still around but a bit farther away from town.

The KOA seemed to be many miles south of the town, maybe because of all of new development along the way. It is a big CG. We are in the new part fearturing a lot of sand and some young pants. But snowcapped mountains to the east (La Sal Mountains) and a rugged looking high rocky ridge to the west. Wifi seems good, lots of TV channels—good for lazy people.

Photos:

1. Rock formation along the Colorado River and highway.

2. The other direction. The Colorado River is at the bottom.

3. Fortunately not all of the road looks this wavy.

4. La Sal Mountains visible in a more civilized part of the highway.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	261600   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	261601  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	261602   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	261603  

Old 05-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #432
Rivet Master

Hi Gene,
A couple of weeks ago we drove to Scottsdale (without the Airstream) and was routed through Moab. The only room available on a Saturday night was at the Red Cliff Lodge on Hwy 128, 15 miles out of Moab.

I couldn't remember the road details of 128, so we took 191 to the 128 junction and essentially backtracked to the Lodge.

For future reference, would it have been shorter/quicker to take 128 from I70 to the Lodge? is 128 shorter/quicker to Moab?

thanks,
Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #433
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steamy, we saw the Lodge, a place we didn't remember. It is enormous. Yes, you would have had a shorter trip coming from the east on 128. I haven't checked the miles, but 128 is the hypotenuse of the triangle. I think 128 is 42 miles from I-70 to the junction with 191. If you take the county road from Exit 214, you save another 6 miles.

The wifi here works well when it works, but then it doesn't work. So I'm using the Verizon Jetpack which was slow but usable yesterday.

More photos:

1. Another view of the Colorado River and the canyon. Radio antenna is the blurry thing on the right.

2, 3, 4 More photos of the canyon and the Fischer Tower area.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	79
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	261626   Click image for larger version

Views:	137
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	261627  

Views:	134
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	261628   Click image for larger version

Views:	87
Size:	536.5 KB
ID:	261629  

Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #434
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
And more photos:

1. Rock formation typical of the area.

2. Road with new bike trail which extends about 5 miles from the junction just north of Moab and up 128.

Today we go to Arches NP when we get ourselves moving. Good chance of thunderstorms today which may keep the crowds down. There was a car show in town yesterday. We got to the KOA too late to attend, but the cars were around town last night. People were camped along the highway through town and cars, old and mostly new, were cruising the main drag all evening. Looked like Pasadena in 1955.

Had dinner at a pizza restaurant, Zax, which we've gone to before. It used to be better and they seem to like to put too much salt in a lot of the food. Strange place for an anniversary dinner, but pizza is not something we usually eat, so it was a special occasion. Came back and watched the White House correspondents dinner on TV. The president has a future as a standup comedian.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	86
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	261634   Click image for larger version

Views:	114
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	261635  

Old 05-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #435

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are enjoying the trip and the narrative.

SuEllyn and Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #436
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
Nice photo of the bike trail. We spotted some nice campsites along that road on the banks of the river.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #437
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We went to Arches NP today, but first came the traffic jam. In midtown Moab traffic came to a stop, then bumper to bumper. That went on for miles to where the road narrowed to one lane and then to where a cop was putting a guy through the DUI test—walk a straight line. This was about 1 pm and that guy looked like he had been drinking all morning. After reflecting how much his life is messed up for a while, we drove on.

Not a pleasant start to the afternoon. Arches is 5 miles north of downtown Moab. Once you pass the entrance and visitor center, you climb almost 1,000 feet along a red rock wall and find yourself among enormous red rock formations, towers, hoodoos and weird shapes plus a few arches. Some parts of the landscape looked tortured. In between groups of things to see are miles of desert. Arches is not just arches and the massive rock formations are common in other parts of southeast Utah, especially at Canyonlands NP.

We can't remember the first time we went to Arches together. Was it '87? '90? That time we explored the 4wd drive road plus hiked to many arches, but not all. We came back in 2000 and saw a few of the same arches and some different. Today, sort of like that. With a threat of thunderstorms, we wore our magic raincoats and they worked. Only a few drops.

We hiked to the Windows—two arches plus a little one—close together and to Landscape Arch—the longest somewhere, the US, planet, universe. It is hard to believe it can stay up. A large piece crashed to ground in 1991 and they no longer allow people on top. When we were there before, there were people on top. Three miles of pretty easy hiking, but I did realize that it was a lot easier 25+ years ago.

We reminisced about our wedding 28 years ago and how we came to this part of Utah for our honeymoon with backpacks, drove into the Maze District of Canyonlands on many miles of 4wd trails and backpacked down a 600' canyon into the Maze. There is a famous Anasazi rock art panel there called the Harvest Scene. I remember just resting against some cottonwood trees down the wash in front of the Harvest Scene and eating veggie paté on crackers and contemplating the "ghost" figures. An occasional hiker would pass by, usually from Germany, during the 2 or 3 days we spent in the Maze, but mostly we were alone to contemplate. Not your usual honeymoon.

I don't think I could do that anymore, but glad I hiked into the Maze 3 times long ago. A remote, even mystical place rarely visited. The network of canyons is very confusing and it is easy to get lost there. One trip I took a bunch of guys with me and had to herd them to keep them from disappearing up some canyon and never coming back. That was a challenge. While I am fascinated by the desert and especially, remote parts of it, I wouldn't want to live there—but I do, though just 11 miles from downtown Grand Junction. That helps because the desert is a bit too stark for someone raised in the lush verdancy of the northeast. Even New York City is lush compared to the southwest sagebrush desert.

Photos:

1. Red rocks somewhere near the entrance after we climbed up to about 5,000'.

2. A group of hoodoos crammed together.

3. Some of the massive rocks a couple of miles from the entrance with a reflection in the middle from the windshield.

4. Tortured rocks.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	119
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	261671   Click image for larger version

Views:	82
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	261672  

Views:	90
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	261673   Click image for larger version

Views:	132
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	261674  

Old 05-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #438
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
More photos:

1. Balanced Rock. Anywhere that is somewhere in the southwest has a balanced rock. I wonder if they'll all fall down at the same time?

2. Finally, an arch. I can't remember the name, but it is near the Windows.

3. Looking through North Window Arch (the photo of the Arch didn't come out well, but how often does anyone get in an arch and take a photo of the view?).

4. Landscape Arch. It kind of blends in and from a distance doesn't look all that long, but once you are close, you realize how long it is. A big piece on the right side fell in 1991 and they closed off access under it and on top of it.

It started raining about an hour ago, like a thunderstorm rain without thunder or lightning.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	261675   Click image for larger version

Views:	106
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	261676  

Views:	92
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	261677   Click image for larger version

Views:	114
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	261678  

Old 05-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #439
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Things got strange, my laptop locked and now I have to remember what these are photos of.

1. A small arch near Landscape Arch.

2. The right side of Landscape Arch—the piece that fell off in 1991 was to the right of the really thin part.

3. A tortured rock on the way out.

4. These large red rock formations are in various parts of the southern Utah and lots in Canyonlands.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	165
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	261679   Click image for larger version

Views:	132
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	261680  

Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	261681   Click image for larger version

Views:	150
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	261682  

Old 05-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #440

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been there a number of times, but still love to see it. Thanks for the pictures, Gene.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote