Old 08-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ken, I must admit I haven't had the urge to poop in a cow pasture, though if I (1) did have the urge, and (2) did poop in a cow pasture, I would not tell anyone. I trust that cross border cows cannot rat on me (if I did poop in a cow pasture) as their only vocalization appears to be "moo". Ken, perhaps you should start a new thread called "places I have had the urge to poop" outlining details about the urge, where it happened and any unforeseen consequences (photos not necessary). Please do not tell me where to find the poop thread.

It rained today and the stultifying humidity rose into the 90+% range. Feeling permanently sticky, dirty, slimy and wet is something I remember from living in the northeast and one reason I moved to Colorado. In the desert I can wear a shirt for a week, but not here. Braving the rain (actually showers and not much of that, but pouring in the middle of the night) we ventured south. Washington's 101 is mostly inland and there are not many towns, but still slow going because of those RV's that go so slow and weekend traffic. We crossed the Columbia River at Astoria on a very long bridge with the high part looking perpendicular from a distance. When we got there it was pretty steep and I wondered how that would be with ice. Astoria was the end of the Oregon Trail and is near the mouth of the Columbia. Perhaps the first place settled by Europeans, it an old town and we moved on to a Fred Meyer's supermarket in the next town, Warrenton. Got lots of fruit, but have remember the Cal. Bug Stations are ahead. Then down the Oregon coast very slowly as weekend traffic was bad. We averaged less than 30 mph today.

Once in Oregon, we follow the coast a lot. A grey day, but no fog. There are more and more towns along the beaches and some look pretty worn. Many look like beach towns anywhere. Elsewhere people go in the water, here they look at it. At times 101 winds through the trees on the west side of the Coast Range, then back to beaches and small towns. Lots of lumber harvesting and more ugly clear cuts. Once they replant, they plant only one type of tree and it no longer looks like a real forest with diversity. The new plastic forest has neat rows and files scientifically determined to let in just the right amount of light, water and wind so each tree is exactly the same height and all are equidistant. The health of the forest is ignored. Another short day with many things slowing us up. We've driven this way several times, usually in the rains of Fall. I think I liked it better then—less traffic, normal weather for here. But we are going home!

In Devil's Lake RV Park—this deluxe: paved pull thrus, neat and sort of tidy. Very orderly and someday the baby trees they planted will dent RV's. Price is also deluxe at $49.

357 miles to the marijuana capital of northern Cal., Arcata. Many beach towns to go, ocean to see, rain to fall, weekenders always in front of me. It is pretty, we love to see an ocean every year and are 3 years behind. I think between the humidity, grey skies and desire to get home, it is a bit much. We saw an Airstream in the road today, the 2nd one. Maybe 4 in CG's. A few in yards. Also a Steamline and few I don't know, all dying in backyards. Someday photos, someday.

Gene

Old 08-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #254
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia

Another good read, but Gene sounds like he's all "pooped" out!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #255
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Ha! With all of his health issues on this trip, I thought maybe they diverted to Arcata to make a purchase or two. You know, for "medicinal" purposes......

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #256
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Ha! With all of his health issues on this trip, I thought maybe they diverted to Arcata to make a purchase or two. You know, for "medicinal" purposes......

Jim
Oral or suppository?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #257
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
I was thinking more along the lines of the "Up In Smoke" variety. Tommy and Cheech sorta thing.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #258
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
"Shoulda kept the Reds, man..."

Last line of the dialog that played in my head a minute ago....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:08 AM   #259
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Natures way of saying High......

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:54 AM   #260
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I can wear a shirt all week in Florida too. After that, no one cares where I poop because no one is anywhere near me. Makes for private dining in any restaurant or a seat by yourself at sporting events. Sorry.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #261
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
That's why there is some much "wide open spaces" in the intermountain west. You have to be quite a ways away to not smell your neighbor's shirt.

Ken
Old 08-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Oral or suppository?
I though perhaps you had made that up. However, I changed my mind when curiosity caused me to stumble upon this Canadian (.ca) website.

Backdoor Medicine: How Cannabis Suppositories Can Save Lives - Cannabis Digest

Now I an trying to find supporting evidence that cannabis was actually named after Canada. (or is it visa versa).

Ken
Old 08-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #263

Upon further investigation, I found this article on the home page of the above cited publication.

Pesticide Use in Colorado Cannabis Gardens

This may explain a lot about the material in this thread.

Ken
Old 08-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #264

and this perhaps even more:

"Hallucinogenic Mushrooms found in Colorado Cannabis Gardens"
Old 08-29-2015, 11:44 PM   #265
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Safari quit while I was into a long 2nd paragraph. I should prepare this separately, but forget to.

People are worried about pesticide in Colorado marijuana grows? What about all the pesticides on stuff we eat, plus the serious effects it has on the workers in the fields. Having known someone seriously compromised by a common pesticide (an organophosphate), it is bad stuff and almost impossible to get any damages for an injury thanks to Congress. A potential client came to me messed after using one bug bomb with the stuff. He almost died and had permanent nerve damage. His case could go nowhere, partly because one person doesn't have the resources to fight it (start with a doctor's analysis to show there is a case at $5,000-10,000 and go from there).

I wonder if when alcohol Prohibition was starting to crumble in the late '20's and early 30's, the same jokes were made. I make them too, but I find the comparison between the 2 types of prohibition and how they evolved and how they end very interesting. Towards the end of alcohol prohibition, some states stopped enforcing the law and the feds couldn't keep up with it. As it was ending, there were a lot of jokes about drunks and drinking and when it ended, it became very fashionable to drink a lot. It was a big part of certain types of the fantasy Hollywood movies about wealthy people. That attitude that drinking is fun—the more the better—lasted for more than a generation. Meanwhile the rural and conservative states stayed dry, or some counties were—a great opportunity for local authorities to get extra income from the black market. When marijuana was banned in the 30's (they lost on alcohol, had to find another devil), a new black market was created. Now in Colorado people are coming out—either they have been using it for pain and other medical problems for a long time, or they just have fun. People who never used it before are carefully experimenting and having fun. Colorado hasn't been destroyed. We have "dry" counties and municipalities and people just drive a little ways just like with alcohol to get what they want. The black market still is active because of high taxes. Somehow the states can't understand about pricing yourself out of the market. Meanwhile more and more towns, cities and counties give in because there is money to be made. It shows up more and more in Hollywood movies, but now the stoners do accomplish things and are the heroes. Dave is here.

But I digress…

Last night it rained hard and this morning the forecasted wind had begun. Gusts to 55 were predicted though I don't know if it was that bad. We continue to suffer from humidity—as high as 90+%. We drove south through Lincoln City and many more towns focused on the ocean. The waves were high for the Pacific (try the Atlantic in the northeast if you want big waves) and the southwest wind was fierce close to the coast. The trailer towed just as if there was no wind, but the truck was buffeted sometimes. Rain on and off and many ocean views. Winding inland through dense forests and then back to the beach, sometimes high above on a roadway carved out of the side of mountains. Slow going much of the time until we got to Cal. (no problems at the bug station) where the roads had more 4 lane sections and we drove around a lot of the towns. Still could only average almost 40 mph counting a gas stop, lunch stop, some food shopping at a bakery/restaurant/organic veggies and fruit store and a few driver changes.

Drier as we went south and the wind let up. Driving became a lot less stressful. A few road cuts above the coast funneled wind through and the high bridge at Newport, Ore., were the worst places. By the time we got to Arcata, there was some blue sky, it was a lot drier and tonight is cool and dry.

Gassed up (only 1 1/2 gal. left at that point) just north of Cal. in Brookings. Gas was 60 less in Oregon than in Cal. Either stations or distributers are making out like bandits lately as wholesale gas is half or less than retail—biggest spread I've seen in many years.

In a fairly average RV park near Arcata. We have been reduced to eating microwavable dinner as neither of us wants to do much more. Bland food, but at least we got it in the health food aisle. Covered 330 miles today on slow roads in 8:30. We'll have some shorter days to keep from beating ourselves up, a big push from Ely, Nev., to Green River, Utah, and only 110 miles to home to give us time to park (after all my practice backing in on Vancouver Is. I'm getting pretty good at it, so maybe I can do it faster at home), unload and collapse.

Years ago we went to see Lassen NP, but it was May and they had had record May snows—20'. So the most interesting areas were covered. We'll go through there again and with the drought, snow should not be a problem.

Now that it is 10:30, I expected Sat. Night Live, but just a horror movie. I would expect the NBC station in Arcata to air SNL.

Gene
Old 08-30-2015, 05:53 AM   #266
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Bummer about SNL dude! 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote