Old 08-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, it is obvious that you are an international threat with your beard. I'll bet you have many dangerous things hidden in your beard. I'm going to shave mine off, but I have no razor, so I'll have to use my Swiss Army knife. Glad I sharpened the knife before we left home. Barb has never seen my face without a beard; I hope she doesn't leave me for a Mountie in those cool red jackets.

Photos:

1. The interior of the Silverwater restaurant in Pt. Townsend.

2. This ornate building looks like an old hotel. Closer look would show it needs a lot of restoration. It is one block from the water.

3. Stairs to UnderTown.

4. Street musicians in front of the old building in #2.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	245365   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	245366  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	245367   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	245368  

Old 08-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
More:

1. Waterfront Pt. Townsend.

2. Another old building. Looks like a mercantile store.

3. Another downtown commercial building—the Capt. H. L. Tibbals block, built in 1889.

4. Victorian house with major features around the cupola.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	245373   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	245374  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	245377   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	245378  

Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
And more—

1. Fawn crossing residential street in Pt. Townsend. He (or she) was preceded by his (or her) twin and their mother. Still has spots on his or her coat.

2. VW Microbus looking like a camper, but has a tow bar, so maybe it doesn't move on its own. They were so slow, they didn't move very fast anyway.

3. County courthouse. I think it is Jefferson Co. but it may be Kitsap Co.

We have very limited wifi ability in Canada, so I'll either have to pay for CG wifi (goes against the grain) or wait until we return.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	245379   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	245380  

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	245381  
Old 08-12-2015, 11:00 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Gene, most commercial campgrounds on Vancouver Island have great free Wi Fi. Even the ferry and the waiting area at the ferry have it on the Canadian side.

George
Old 08-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #187
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Gene, most commercial campgrounds on Vancouver Island have great free Wi Fi. Even the ferry and the waiting area at the ferry have it on the Canadian side.

George
I hope you are right. When I made reservations, the websites for the CG's said we'd have to pay for it. Everywhere else in BC, Yukon and Alberta we have had free and very good wifi, better than in the US. Wifi is mysterious to CG operators. They have to pay for it and want to pass the cost on, just like high end lodgings do. But midrange lodgings offer it for free and that is like TV long ago—put a quarter in for 30 minutes and the TV would go off just before the end of the program. Eventually TV was free too—it is just another utility like wifi will be

Gene
Old 08-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Where are you going on the Island? We've just moved here from the interior of BC and are in the process of house hunting while staying up island. All the CG's that I looked into had free Wi Fi. Also every library in every town will have it free.
Good luck with your trip. It is one of the most beautiful spots in North America.

George
Old 08-13-2015, 04:36 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
George, we are going to Nanaimo for a couple of overnights on the way to Strathcona PP, Ucluelet, southwest coast, Victoria. Thanks for checking. I feel better.

Gene
Old 08-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #190
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
i sure hope your selection of camping places on Van Isle is better than Rainbow RV, a pit of a place. you were 10 minutes from the Clallam county campground at Dungeness spit with plenty of space for trailers your size, geez.

the pilings are the remnants of the loading wharf at the town of Dungeness, through which you unwittingly drove. it extended into the bay 3/4 of a mile, and if you had been there at low tide you would have understood. it was a lane and a half wide and ended at a very big wharf. virtually all commerce happened by boat as the roads were of minimal utility. to travel from Sequim to Port Angeles by vintage auto was a 14 hour drive, now about 12 minutes.

so lets see, the Ohio class subs are based at Bangor on Hood Canal but that floating bridge opens for a variety of vessel traffic, commercial and private as well. it is quite unique in the way it operates and has to be seen to believe the mechanism. out fishing when one of those subs heads in from the open ocean is quite a production: Orion P3 over head; logistic supply vessels flanking the sub; huge contingent of USCG vessels all trying to keep up. if you are in the VTS lanes, they will hail you on the VHF and if you are not paying attention, they now have sort of a fire cracker shell they will fire at you from their 12ga shotguns. 500 yds separation is required and vigorously enforced.

walking to the lighthouse is best accomplished on the summer solstice tides when a hundred yards or more of sand beach are exposed at the Dungeness spit. and yes, the spit is commonly breached in the gale and hurricane force winds we get during the winter months which are accompanied by 15-16' seas. with climate change, we are close to the time when the water level will be high enough that this spit will no longer be able to self heal, see it while you can. up until this year, the spit continued to grow about 7'/yr, ENE. this last year with so little water in the area, no growth occurred, sort of unusual. you can stay out at the light house, a week at a time, check it out if you are interested.

you needed a local tour guide for the 2 days you were in the area, much of interest to observe including the largest dam removal, ever, on the Elwha. oh well, hope Van Isle treats you well.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
George, we are going to Nanaimo for a couple of overnights on the way to Strathcona PP, Ucluelet, southwest coast, Victoria. Thanks for checking. I feel better.

Gene
Gene, the drive from Victoria to Nanaimo encompasses "The Malahat." I haven't driven if for a long time - it probably has improved - but it has some steep, twisty sections. You can avoid The Malahat by taking the Brentwood Bay/Mill Bay ferry (just south of Victoria).

The drive to the westcoast of Vancouver Island is magical. Cameron Lake, Cathedral Grove - some of my favourite places. Unfortunately, a big wind storm took out many trees, but it's still worth the stop. (The last time I walked through - before the storm - you never saw daylight. Was a deep, dark canopy. Was somewhat horrified by the subsequent loss of trees, as this video shows......
Old 08-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

Gene
We are just north of Nanaimo in Nanoose Creek. Just came back from visiting friends in at Seal Bay Rv Park. Full hookups and free wifi and cable in a PP type setting with its own Trout pond right beside a nature preserve with miles of trails. 2 other A/S there today too. Beautiful spot that we are going to book as soon as this silly house hunting is done.
Strathcona PP of course won't have wifi but shouldn't be hard to find in Uclulet. Be sure to take a drive north to Tofino while you are there.
Have fun and careful with the road to Uclulet. Very windy with lots of blind corners but fabulous scenery.

George
Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Despite Bob's experience, we went through Canadian customs in less than a minute. I didn't have to shave off my beard nor surrender fruit nor turn around and take the ferry back to Washington. It was all quite pleasant and next time Bob tries to go to Canada, we will take him here. We can hide him under the bed.

After going through Customs, you are in downtown Victoria with loads of traffic. We drove past Parliament (Victoria is the capital of British Columbia) and found our way to the TransCanada Highway (TCH). After many traffic lights, more traffic and narrow traffic lanes, we got out of town and drove along the water and sometimes far above it. There are many islands and peninsulas to the east of Vancouver Is. It felt like we were in a garden of trees, bushes and some flowers. We practiced multiplying by .62—kilometers times .62 tells us speed limits in Mph. Not so good with temperatures since that requires multiplying by 1.8 and adding 32, but we know 30˚ C is hot. Centimeters are really small and meters are big—for feet from meters, multiply by 3 and add a little (1,000 meters is about 3,200 feet). It was hazy from forest fires. Vancouver Is. is full of mountains. We had forgotten how many there are since we hadn't been here for 10 years.

The expressway is not like US ones—semi-limited access, sometimes 4 lanes, sometimes 2. Speed limits are lower than we are used to, but no one seems to pay much attention to them. Along the highway there are tons of signs, but many are too small to read and aren't all that helpful. Any map we had did not show clearly how to get to the campground—Living Forest Oceanside. But when we were close, there was a big sign telling us where to go. Before that was anxiety that we would never find it. It overlooks water, not really the ocean which is on the other side of the island.

The CG is 20+ hectares (a hectare is something twice as big as an acre, more math). Though Canada went metric a long time ago, many older people start talking in miles and inches and feet when we Americans look at them like they are speaking in another language. It is full of tall conifers and quite nice. Sites are wide and it was easy to back in. We decided to stay an extra night because we are tired, need to buy food and this is a pleasant place.

But (there's always a "but") you have to pay for wifi and it is the awful Tengo. $5 C ($3.50 US) for two days. I spent about an hour trying to get it to work and finally the iPad sort of worked. Never got the laptop to work. We went to the office and asked for our money back. No problem—got our money and another coupon for free. They told us the owners had spent $50,000 C to upgrade the system, but all the trees made it spotty. After I said I was sorry they had wasted all that money, I told them we'd been a plenty of CG's with trees and giant MH's and the wifi worked better, but Tengo was always difficult and this was the worst Tengo ever. They conceded "some" (sounded like more than "some") people had problemsn and it used to be worse.

They do have free wifi at the cafe, but in the dark we couldn't find the cafe. Back at the trailer, suddenly the iPad worked ok, but very slow. This morning I tried the new code on the laptop and it is working so far. Maybe later I'll try photos, but it is time to look for breakfast. When we come back, we are to move to the next site. Then later look through Nanaimo and buy food and find a bank to change money. It will feel good to give them $100 US and get about $130 C back. Everything seems to be a bit more expensive here, so it will be a wash.

The sites are tiered here so each row of the first few can see the water and whatever is out there. But there are so many trees, it is hard to see. Wish I had brought my chain saw. We are on the second tier and at night we can see lights across a strait—it may be an island, a peninsula or Vancouver. Vancouver is nice city, but we've seen it already and once was enough. It is directly across from Nanaimo, the tub city.

The people next to us have left and we can move now and eat later.

Hope I can send this.

Gene
Old 08-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #194
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The first time we went to Canada they took the stems of our tomatoes before we could pass thru, and Xrayed the Interstate on the way out.

Maggie
Old 08-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #195
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maggie, the US doesn't x-ray you, they have a radiation detector—2 large yellow square metal things you drive through.

We went to a Smitty's for breakfast across the TCH from the CG. Before that we moved to the next spot. I'm getting better at backing the trailer after doing it so many times and it was pretty easy. Smitty's is a chain from Calgary and they want to kill their customers with bacon. One breakfast came with 8 strips of it. Not a good business plan. I couldn't finish the giant veggie breakfast and started to feel bad. By the time we returned to the trailer I felt worse. We can't figure out whether it is food poisoning or some virus or bacterial attack because I haven't felt all that good for a few days. The only thing I have eaten that Barb hasn't is some Chobani yogurt I ate yesterday and we threw it out. Chobani had problems last year, but it smelled fine, so I don't think that is it. Neither of us ever has gotten sick on a trip, so we are surprised. Slept for a while and Barb went to a bank and a grocery store. I am hungry, but then the thought of food grosses me out. All I want is water. Don't tell the Mounties, or they will come for me and send me to quarantine or, worse, turn me over to the CIA.

Muggy here and not comfortable. We are so used to low humidity, we don't easily adjust to temperate climates. The A/C will dry things out. The plan is to go to Strathcona Prov. Park tomorrow and I hope I can. Reservations are hard to come by in August.

Gene
Old 08-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #196
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maggie, the US doesn't x-ray you, they have a radiation detector—2 large yellow square metal things you drive through.

We went to a Smitty's for breakfast across the TCH from the CG. Before that we moved to the next spot. I'm getting better at backing the trailer after doing it so many times and it was pretty easy. Smitty's is a chain from Calgary and they want to kill their customers with bacon. One breakfast came with 8 strips of it. Not a good business plan. I couldn't finish the giant veggie breakfast and started to feel bad. By the time we returned to the trailer I felt worse. We can't figure out whether it is food poisoning or some virus or bacterial attack because I haven't felt all that good for a few days. The only thing I have eaten that Barb hasn't is some Chobani yogurt I ate yesterday and we threw it out. Chobani had problems last year, but it smelled fine, so I don't think that is it. Neither of us ever has gotten sick on a trip, so we are surprised. Slept for a while and Barb went to a bank and a grocery store. I am hungry, but then the thought of food grosses me out. All I want is water. Don't tell the Mounties, or they will come for me and send me to quarantine or, worse, turn me over to the CIA.

Muggy here and not comfortable. We are so used to low humidity, we don't easily adjust to temperate climates. The A/C will dry things out. The plan is to go to Strathcona Prov. Park tomorrow and I hope I can. Reservations are hard to come by in August.

Gene