Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #221
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I sent him a PM last night with a few details of a lawsuit that I inadvertently got dragged onto. Thought he would get a kick out of it. Haven't heard back. I just figured the Great White North was a bunch more interesting than a another droll legal proceeding.

Of course the "in the slammer" theory has some merit. Maybe the border guards finally got wise to his shenanigans.

Have a great time you two. Have a beer for me.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #222
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

He's on a sleazy bar hunt...

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
He's on a sleazy bar hunt...

Bob
Lots of those in Nanaimo or "Surrey by the Sea" as the R.C.M. Police call it.

(Surrey is a bedroom community of Vancouver. Some parts are nice, but some parts are the grungy "armpit" of the Vancouver area).
Old 08-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #224
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
I just heard there was some guy with an airstream got caught trying to "Free Willy"....
LOL! No comment.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #225
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
LOL! No comment.

Chicken.......lol

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-21-2015, 12:09 AM   #226
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I just got a short note from Gene. They're alive and well, with lousy communications.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:48 AM   #227
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Good to hear. As a communications director I guess I should offer my services but Gene would either want to pay me on Canadian dollars or remodel my mid room. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #228
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Mud room. Darn phone

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #229
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
"For the record, your honor, no Canadians have been hurt. Fantasies about raccoons or Canadians are not actionable in the Queen's Courts. Thanks to former PM Trudeau, free speech reigns supreme across the Confederation or Dominion or that big red thing north of Minnesota. My Ambassador will be contacting this honourable Court by drone within minutes". Thus went my speech and I was quickly released with apologies, a gallon of maple syrup, a commemorate hockey stick and an English/French dictionary.

We are in the internet void. I have had to use The Ucluelet Campground wifi just outside the office—slow and slower and now while at French Beach Prov. Park, the Verizon Jetpack, better but not so great. I think I may be picking up a Verizon signal from Washington across the Strait of Juan de Fuca because I don’t seem to be getting a Canadian cell tower. We paid extra for 250 Mb. While in Canada, but don’t seem to be using it.

The drive to Ucluelet (Ukee to locals) was slow on a winding and narrow road with construction added in. Barb offered to drive and didn’t know it was the worst part of the road. It took her a while to recover. The Ukee CG was among the worst we’ve ever been. One guy across from us rated it the worst and left 3 days early, forfeiting more than $100. We had a view of a marina, but not much harbor and no ocean. 15 amp. Service which meant blown breakers several times. Dust and narrow spaces. Close to other campers. This is what happens when you don’t reserve very, very early. Deciding to eat at a fine dining restaurant, we couldn’t find one with food we wanted, so we ended up at a pizza joint with the universal comfort food (when in doubt, eat out). It was hot and humid the first day, but cooled off a lot for the next two days, though the humidity was rough for desert dwellers.

Could not use A/C because of limited amperage. Our water hose started leaking though pinholes (can’t blame CG for that), so we rushed into town and found one at Co-op, a chain of supermarkets with hardware ad clothing. First full day we went north about 25 miles to Tofino, once a fishing village, but it was discovered and changed into a tourist town. Parking was nearly impossible and we were glad we didn’t stay there because of the crowds. We ate at an unsatisfactory restaurant and then walked around. Downtown there’s a large building made to look like a coastal Indian longhouse. Inside was carved art and prints (also originals in the thousands) done by an artist. This was not authentic Haida or other Indian art, but much influenced by it. We bought a print and Barb bought a ring. One of the woman working there had a name almost exactly like ours, both such rare names that I’ve never met anyone with the same last name except a relative.

We did have a good breakfast in Ukee (Matterson’s) the morning before we left. Many restaurants have all day breakfast on the Island and I can eat breakfast as often as a Hobbit.

I drove back and felt so good the narrow, bumpy, winding road was fun—wish I had a sports car for it. Traffic kept building as people flocked to the weekend vacation spots, but we were generally going the other way. Because of a forest fire we couldn’t go to French Beach directly, but had to go through the Victoria area. Traffic and construction made it hard and slow. We finally got to the CG. Deep ditches, trees, rocks and bushes made the backing in challenging, but going slow and getting out the truck 20 times (maybe a little less) led to a successful parking.

Lush forest makes for lousy solar and each day we re falling behind, but the batteries are working well. We get NPR here from across the Strait. We are close to a beach was went down there the first evening and watch waves come in. A young couple braved the water a little with their two young sons, but it was obviously very cold. Strangely, they hung with the son about 10 while the one, about 5, they ignored as he played at the water edge 100’ behind them. No drowning occurred.

Yesterday we drove to Pt. Renfrew, about 30 miles west where the Strait ends and the real ocean begins. We hiked 1.7 miles through the forest (some trees several hundred feet high) down to Botany Bay and then to Botanical Beach. The latter is known for tidal pools full of little creatures. We saw some very small crabs in them. We arrived minutes past high tide, so the pools were pretty much under water and waves weren’t very big. We could see across to the Olympic Pen., but it was mostly dim in the haze and humidity (we are used to seeing scores of miles in the desert. Took a lot of photos with my new 500 mm. lens and am learning how to hold it steady without a tripod, but a walking stick can help too.

Longest hike yet and I was feeling great until the slog uphill back to the truck. Barb drove and I bounced—bumpy, winding, rough road. Exhausted by the time we returned, but refreshed today. Short hike planned for today. Tomorrow on to Victoria and will have dinner with Evan (eheffa) and Jane tomorrow night. We met them in Moab years ago and have finally come to see them.

I’m not going to try to upload photos until I get free wifi or a 4G connection on the JetPack. See if I can send this and if it fits. Sorry for typos—I should have bought the nonreflective screen.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #230
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Gene, the westcoast of Vancouver Island hasn't been the same since they paved the road, circa 1975. Before that it was a windswept stew of natives, hippies, surfers, fishermen, and bush pilots.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #231
Rivet Master

Quote:
Gene, the westcoast hasn't been the same since they paved the road, circa 1975. Before that it was a windswept stew of hippies, surfers, fishermen, and bush pilots.
I haven't been there since the 1960's. Perhaps, I should skip it and save my memories.

Ken
Old 08-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #232
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
FaN, I was out there in '79 and I do not remember pavement beyond Alberni. Gravel was ubiquitous and some of the bridges were just logs with heavy planks across and a curb of heavy planks to keep you on if it got wet and slippery. I still remember a steep downhill section with a tight curve at the end and down shifting and spraying gravel trying to shed speed and avoid becoming part of the scenery. I also remember pulling off the road in Cathedral Grove and spending the night among the trees. That was before the big blow that took some of the old giants down.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #233
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Gh, according to this article, the road was paved in 1972.

Tofino, BC - Vancouver Island Communities, Real Estate & Businesses
Old 08-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #234
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
that haze over JDF is a result of the fires that are raging in central WA. a low pressure system pushed that smoke over the cascades into Seattle and eventually down the strait. the winds last night pushed it all back to the east.

i have fished at Tofino but took a pass on Ucluelett as that place didn't look very appealing to me. don't know how you got to Port Renfrew but if you came down from the N, that road was paved just a few years back. if you are going to head to Victoria from there, you will find the road 'interesting' with some very steep downhill/uphill places across one lane 'bridges'. go really slow so you don't bottom out.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #235
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
that haze over JDF is a result of the fires that are raging in central WA. a low pressure system pushed that smoke over the cascades into Seattle and eventually down the strait. the winds last night pushed it all back to the east.

i have fished at Tofino but took a pass on Ucluelett as that place didn't look very appealing to me. don't know how you got to Port Renfrew but if you came down from the N, that road was paved just a few years back. if you are going to head to Victoria from there, you will find the road 'interesting' with some very steep downhill/uphill places across one lane 'bridges'. go really slow so you don't bottom out.

A slight technical correction:

Low pressure areas don't push. They suck.

Chinook winds are caused by higher pressure east of the cascades forcing air to flow toward a lower pressure air mass west of the cascades. Of course there are many other factors that effect the exact direction of that flow. They include coriolis effect, terrain, the exact locations of the low pressure and high pressure air masses, and what other weather systems might be interacting with them .

I'm just trying to keep up to speed with my meteorology education, that your tax dollars help fund.

Ken
Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #236
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
actually, the low pressure system was E of the cascades with a high pressure off shore. the winds were from the E flowing to the W, from the low pressure system feeding the high pressure system which was off shore.

i think i might have wasted some tax dollars here
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #237
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
actually, the low pressure system was E of the cascades with a high pressure off shore. the winds were from the E flowing to the W, from the low pressure system feeding the high pressure system which was off shore.

i think i might have wasted some tax dollars here
I think the problem may be in an explanation you may have gotten from media journalists who masquerade as weather experts.

I just looked at the current weather map. There is a low pressure area in central Washington. However there is no significant high pressure area off the coast. The nearest areas of significant high pressure are in central British Columbia. The mechanics of what is happening is that air is flowing from the high pressure areas towards the low pressure area. The effect is the same as water flowing down a drain (low pressure area). Since the earth is spherical* and spinning, and we are in the northern hemisphere, a counterclockwise airflow is set up around the low pressure area. This airflow will cause easterly winds north of the low pressure area. These winds will bring the smoke into northwestern washington and it will follow the CCW flow around the low pressure area. The smoke will of course slowly dissipate as it travels.

This is different than the Chinook wind scenario that I mention above. These are referred to as Santa Ana winds in California. I apologize for jumping to the wrong conclusion without researching the actual situation.

However, no matter what anyone may try to tell you, fluids will not flow from low pressure to high pressure in this particular universe, unless some other extraordinary (unknown to me) forces are at play.

*the earth is an oblate spheroid, but sphere will suffice here.

Ken
Old 08-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Gh, according to this article, the road was paved in 1972.

Tofino, BC - Vancouver Island Communities, Real Estate & Businesses
Tar and chips paving, heavy on the chips. Sure felt like gravel.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #239
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We arrived at West Bay Marine CG at noon yesterday—it took 2 hours to go 35 miles. Victoria is very busy and growing and now has an obscure parking meter system downtown that confuses us. Evan and Jane picked us up at our trailer and we spent a very pleasant evening together. We last saw them 5 years ago in Moab, Utah. We went to Il Terrazo in Victoria and then Evan drove us around downtown helping us better understand where things are. The wind was blowing from the west and it was quite cool. I don't know why it was blowing from the west, but the smoke had apparently blown back to where it came from. We capped off the evening sitting in our trailer and telling stories and finding out how similar we were.

The most memorable and pleasant parts of our quest story have been spending time with people I met through the Forum. Like every quest story, it has featured challenges, illness, fighting evil, enlightenment and forging life-long friendships.

Today we find a way to get to downtown. A water taxi appears to be quite expensive, a walk quite long and driving doesn't seem to be anything but difficult. Though the ferry back to Pt. Angeles is quite close, it may take an hour to drive there in 2 days. We want to see the renowned museum, the old and very Canadian hotel (steep copper roof now green) quaint streets. The CG is very busy with houseboats tied up along part of the shore—they are 2 or 3 stories high, boxy and look very unseaworthy. Adequate and there is a price for everything from showers to wifi. I'm getting Verizon wifi which is expensive and impossible to tell just how many Mb. I am using (it is part of the evil faced on a quest).

Gene

Old 08-26-2015, 12:36 AM   #240
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Last night we spent the evening with Evan (eheffa on the Forum) and Jane. We hadn't seen them in 5 years, but it was like we'd seen good friends last week. Had a good dinner at a downtown Victoria restaurant (Il Terrazo), got a tour of downtown and then came back to the trailer and talked and talked. Great to see them and find out how much we had in common. They just returned from Alaska and we compared notes. We hope they can visit Colorado, but both are medical professionals and very busy.

Today we took the water taxi into downtown, walked a lot, saw the parliament building (technically the legislature; "parliament" is the national legislature in Ottawa), a late Victorian building with much artful detail and then went to the provincial museum. Very good museum with lots on BC Indian language, culture and art plus stuff on early settlement of BC and the role of gold worldwide. Very interesting, but my back doesn't like me stranding and reading and viewing the displays. I experienced great pain and Barb was very worried, but I pressed on for 4 hours. She helps me a lot and I try to reassure her that while I hurt, I want to stay active and so I do. Took the water taxi back all the way (saved $10 going to town by walking half a mile extra, but couldn't do that going back. After a two hour nap, I felt normal for me. Aging is not fun, but you have to keep moving or you are consigned to the couch and decline.

Tomorrow we do a test drive to the ferry terminal to see how long it will take and tour more of the area. Hope to see Chinatown and Old Town and now know how to find parking garages and not have to deal with the dumb parking meter system here. Then upon return we will start preparing for hitching up early Thursday and going to the terminal and face the US customs and immigration fruit police who mostly have bad attitudes and suspect all us bearded men of criminality. A week and we are home and back in our grove of remodeling and our version of normality.

I have scores of photos and will wait 'til I can upload in Wash. and Oregon.

Gene