Old 08-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #155
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Stopped at a visitor center in Sask a while ago - the most popular t-shirt for sale said: Saskatchewan - Hard to spell but easy to draw!

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #156
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Gene: when I clicked on the arrow the video did not play!

Have a good holiday.

Dave

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...p;d=1437846698

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1658088

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #157
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Gene: when I clicked on the arrow the video did not play!

Have a good holiday.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...p;d=1437846698

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1658088
Dave,

Just keep trying. It only works if you click on the arrow exactly 17 seconds after each odd minute (according to the atomic clock in Boulder, CO). It's a form of security retired lawyers use.

Trust me,

Ken
Old 08-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
What video? I didn't post a video, someone else did, apparently at an odd minute + 17 sec.

We are just north of Bend, Ore. at an old fashioned RV park with lots of permanent residents. Maybe they work in Bend, about 40 miles away. The wifi is terrible, but they have cable TV. The Jet Pack works fine.

We left not at the crack of noon on Wed., but at 12:40, our latest start ever. Picked up some fresh baked bread in downtown Grand Jct., and were off after piking up the mail (Barb got a jury summons and she would have been in violation if we didn't get it because it was for the day we return). 100˚ in Green River and propane cost twice what we pay for it at home. Went as far as Provo, Utah, and stayed in Lakeside RV CG. I can't remember anything about it except the wifi worked badly, but worked sort of. You can't see the lake from the "Lakeside" park unless you pay to get in the state park on the lake. TV did not have the Comedy channel, so I missed the next to last Daily Show. Taped at home and we'll watch next month.

Thursday morning we drove up I-15 through SLC traffic and the usual, perpetual construction zones. Then I-84 to and through Idaho. We stopped 20 miles west of Boise at a CG (Ambassador) with grass so lush it almost looked like rugs. No Comedy Channel either, but we could watch the debates. All the rush of the past week caught up with me and before a half hour was done, I lay down on the bed and "watched" the debate with my eyes closed. That lasted about 30 minutes and the next thing I knew it was 3 am. Read a little and went back to sleep until 7 am. Ten hours of sleep sure helped and we clocked another 300+ miles today. Bend CG's were full, traffic was awful, but we found Trader Joe's. Barb recognized the shopping center and I pulled in and there it was! We must have been there 5 years ago, once. I got no credit for being on the right road though.

Bend has become a retirement mecca and now has more than 80,000 people. We only skirted the east side of the city, but it was rush hour and quite unpleasant. I know the mild climate there and the recreational opportunities attract people, but it felt overcrowded. I like sleepy Grand Junction better.

We made reservations in Washington for tomorrow. We usually travel on the long trips in the spring or fall and we aren't used to making reservations, so this is a new thing. I suspect many more people are traveling this year too. Though wholesale gas is around $1.65, retail remains high. $3.05 in Bend.

Though not as hot as we drove north, still in the 80's and dry. In Idaho it was very hazy and we could not see very far. I expect the fires in Cal. caused that. Not as hazy today. Driving across eastern Oregon is long and tedious. Roads are pretty good to very good across the desert. Close to Idaho there is little vegetation and bare mountains. As we drive west, more sagebrush and desert grasses, but everything looked very dry. Now that we are in the eastern shadow of the Cascade Range, there are more trees and grass, but not very green grass. We are well north of most of the fires.

Tomorrow we go past Mt. Hood and on to Portland, not stopping anywhere there. Then across the Columbia River and east to Washougal, Wash. There a Pendleton discount store there that has great bargains. I bought 2 coats there 3 years ago for less than 50% retail. For years I've been waiting for a sale on a robe. I have one I bought 20 years ago for $5 (I don't remember why it was so cheap, but there was nothing wrong with it except being ugly). Looks fine, but Pendleton has some beautiful stuff. We always stop there on northwest trips. Then on to a CG in Castle Rock, Wash. and Gig Harbor on Sunday for two nights.

Meanwhile Capital One screwed up and was denying our card today. I called early in the week because they were screwing up a payment and also and told them we would be traveling to BC and through several states. The person I talked to put some sort of thing on travel anywhere but Canada. So we paid cash, then got an e-mail telling there was suspicious activity and I spent 20 wasted minutes on the phone getting this straight. The woman I talked to today told me I wasn't listening and then when I explained things the third time she realized she wasn't listening. They constantly apologize, but that time it sounded real. Makes me realize how dependent on a credit card we've become. We have a backup, but don't want to use it unless we have to.

We've traveled almost 1,100 miles. The truck has performed perfectly, but those fast miles on interstates mean bad gas mileage—around 10. Trailer tows fine and everything works. We split up the driving, but we need servants to help as it is harder than it used to be. I think 500+ mile days are in the past.

Gene
Old 08-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
What video? I didn't post a video, someone else did, apparently at an odd minute + 17 sec.

--------------------------------------------------

Gene
Gene,

The two pictures that Dave's links point to have a yellow rectangle with a black play symbol in it. When you get more sleep, you'll catch on.

Ken
Old 08-07-2015, 11:23 PM   #160
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You have the hardest part over Gene. Just getting away is the most difficult.

And the miles will be easier after the first few days of adjustment. Looks like you will have some cooler weather on the Island. Should be good for sightseeing.

Wed, and Sat evenings after 4PM are discount days for overlength vehicles on the main route out of Tsawwassen terminal, on BC Ferries. Check that out online.

Have a fun trip.

The video was a

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #161
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Fall foliage

What are your suggestions for a tour to see the fall foliage in New England?

It looks like the prime color turn starts around the end of September. Any ideas on a good home base in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine?

Your help is appreciated. This will be Glimmer's first trip East. Should be fun!

Pat
Old 08-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Gene, the horrible heat wave has broken. The Island is supposed to get some cooling rain early next week. Rain or shine - you're headed to a good place!

massey, I believe Gene is taking the ferry from Port Angeles.

Keep safe....and keep us informed.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:27 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
You have the hardest part over Gene. Just getting away is the most difficult.

And the miles will be easier after the first few days of adjustment. Looks like you will have some cooler weather on the Island. Should be good for sightseeing.

Wed, and Sat evenings after 4PM are discount days for overlength vehicles on the main route out of Tsawwassen terminal, on BC Ferries. Check that out online.

Have a fun trip.

The video was a

Dave
I'm pretty sure Gene is taking the Port Angeles-Victoria Black Ball ferry. I've never done that. However I've been on both the Anacortes and Tsawwassen ferries. I much prefer the Tsawwassen. I'm not sure how he's coming back.

Ken

P.S.
DISLAIMER:
Any info I post about Washington state is either based on only 4 1/2 months experience or is more than 22 years out of date.

What the heck happened to Seattle while I was gone?
Old 08-08-2015, 04:58 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We're taking the ferry from Pt. Angeles to Victoria and back. Last time we came back via Nanaimo to N. Vancouver. We avoid big cities, so we aren't going through or near Vancouver nor Seattle. Glad to hear the heat wave has subsided, though clear skies are nice.

Pat, best time to be a "leaf peeper" is late Sept. to October. Our trip to see the trees turn was to drive to N. Eng. as fast as possible, go to northern N. Eng. and NY and drive south through the mountains as far as Kentucky and thus follow the change in weather southwest. It was great as we timed it perfectly, something that was as much luck as good planning because you can be always a week behind or ahead. The brightest colors are the reds of the maple trees in the north. Driving 3,000+ miles to see this is not enjoyable as that far on interstates is a job, so take your time and see the sights along the way. We took interstates most of the way, but would take a day here and there to rest. You'll need at least a month to do it from Cal. We did it before we had a trailer and ran into snow on the way in northern NY, but lucked out in timing and weather—rest of the trip was clear weather. Trees change according to light, weather and mysterious things only known to trees.

Gene
Old 08-08-2015, 05:08 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene; Go by my house and see if it's still there. And wait for us to return. We are only a few miles away in some place called Pennsylvania.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I'm pretty sure Gene is taking the Port Angeles-Victoria Black Ball ferry. I've never done that. However I've been on both the Anacortes and Tsawwassen ferries. I much prefer the Tsawwassen. I'm not sure how he's coming back.

Ken

P.S.
DISLAIMER:
Any info I post about Washington state is either based on only 4 1/2 months experience or is more than 22 years out of date.

What the heck happened to Seattle while I was gone?
If going to Vancouver Island via Tsawwassen, take the more scenic Swartz Bay vs. Duke Point route. The Swartz Bay route takes you through Active Pass.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, your house was just a pile of ashes and nuclear waste (if I had some film, I could have made an x-ray). It was hard to see past the caution tape, but I thought I saw the tail of a missile that had a maple leaf on it. I was hoping to make off with your TV, but there was just a lump of plastic. Enjoy Pa., some parts of the coal mining area (Hazleton, Wilkes-Barre, for ex.) look just like your house.

Today we drove north through the Warm Springs Indian Res. The road ascends toward Mt. Hood area and we came out of the sagebrush desert and into the conifers. I saw lodgepole and a few ponderosas plus other trees I don't know the names of. Some looked 80-100' high—old growth forest. Glad to get out of the desert. Temps were down to the low 80's and there was a lot of traffic coming from Portland. Mt. Hood from 50 miles away was obscured by haze, but as we drew closer either the haze dissipated or there was less and the mountain stood out. So far it is a dormant volcano, I hope.

Lots and lots of traffic as we came to Portland, but we escaped north to Wash. and went to the Pendleton store and mill in Washougal. I didn't find robe I wanted—they had a heavily discounted one in tartan, but I wanted Indian designs. I guess I do with my 25 year old $5 robe for a while.

Yesterday we made reservations at Toutle River RV Resort because we were worried there would be no sites anywhere after yesterday's issue. I was driving and couldn't check the reviews online. Mistake. This place has lots of amenities for a long stay, but is between busy I-5 and a railroad. The trains here have extra loud whistles, blow them a lot and come along frequently. Before you get to the office there is a kiosk where a woman hands you a form to fill out about your tow vehicle and calls the office to let your through. No one answers. After 15 minutes she lets us through and we got to the office. Everywhere there are rules—ones on the kiosk you can't read from your truck and ones in the office you don't want to read. We check in and go to our site. Roads are paved and site was level. Basic amenities, but Tengo wifi—slow and with many limits. Then the trains come. Get inside and turn on A/C and TV to drown out the whistles, but we can still hear them. We can get some local TV and it is not good unless you like shopping channels. If you are hard of hearing (not just hard, very hard) this is a good place. We have been to Nazi campgrounds before and we can add this to out list. Nice big tree out the window though.

Barb just handed me another half beer and I have to drink it. One beer makes me somewhat loaded. Before I can't find the laptop keys, I'd better stop.

Gene
Old 08-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #168
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
-- snip ---- best time to be a "leaf peeper" is late Sept. to October. --- snip --- Driving 3,000+ miles to see this is not enjoyable --- snip --- Trees change according to light, weather and mysterious things only known to trees. Gene
Thanks Gene, we have been practicing. Just returned from the shake down run to Kansas. Interstates are fast but interesting side trips do help with the travel experience. Lot's to see. There is even a mother ship out there. Pat