Old 07-22-2015, 12:19 AM   #141
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Gene,

While you're not paying attention, your thread is going TU*.

Ken

*Too Ugly

Old 07-25-2015, 12:57 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
"While you're not paying attention, your thread is going TU*.

Ken" T's are great up or down or sideways. I don't mean T-shirts. Paying attention to painting.

We finished the front porch (or deck, whatever) and the rest of the front side of the house. With most of the garage, that is getting close to half of what we can do. We never heard back from a painter for the rest—he called back, message was garbled, I left a message for him, he never called back. This was a guy who painted part of a metal roof 4 years ago for us. I guess he's too important for small jobs now. Called another painter recommended by the guy we bought garage doors from—looked at the job, promised to call back that evening (Wed.), never called back. We had this same problem with painters before. Will ask more friends about painters at a party tomorrow. Seems like painters are a difficult bunch to deal with—I remember my father telling me that 60 years ago.

Anyway, the rest we will paint will have to wait until Sept. My wrist joints and tricep muscles welcome the rest. Now it is time to ready the trailer for a 30 day trip, change truck oil and grease it, detail the truck and maybe the trailer and maybe get a little more work down inside the house. I had thought of repacking the wheel bearings on the trailer, but will probably not. Airstream's recommendations on that are far more often than it is reasonable to do, though it may make sense for people who travel very little.

Our new TPMS system (TST) seems to work perfectly and I hope it lasts longer than the previous ones (Doran, Tire Minder). It has a 3 year warranty, just about how long the others lasted. This has a flow through option so once the sensors are on, you can fill or remove air from the tires anyway. The sensors also lock on, though I think they are pretty unlikely to be stolen. I got the flow through because it was the only way to get the suction cup for the windshield. On our truck there is no other place to mount it—the dashboard doesn't work well with glued things. I got a very good deal from them and only had to buy 4 sensors even though they usually sell it with 6—that alone saved a lot. They were even nice enough to set all the pressures, warnings, etc., for me. My price was half of what I paid about 6 or 7 years ago for the Doran.

Some photos of the trip up to our house through red and yellow sandstone and juniper/piñon forest. Remember to turn right at the rocks! There is an old ranch nearby with some now crumbling buildings. This area was settled around 1905-10. If I recall correctly, our land was homesteaded around then and in the '20's, the owner defaulted on a mortgage. A small plot at the bottom of the hill was reserved for a church, but it was never built and the plot was merged back into the property. Maybe I can claim to be tax exempt. Later the entire area was made part of a larger ranch and in the '90's, sold to a developer who subdivided and sold lots ranging from 5 to 40 acres. Our property was bought to build a house in 2003.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	243872   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	243873  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	243874   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	243875  

Old 08-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The big push is on—trailer is hitched up, truck washed and polished, both getting loaded with too much stuff, maps figured out, reservations made, clothes for 18 days packed (laundry time somewhere on Vancouver Is. so we return home in clean clothes), passports ready, money being obtained from bank, Canadian money left over from 2010 (worth 2/3 of what is was in 2010). Food seems to take the most time and some can't be packed until the morning before we leave. Fridge is cold (39˚) and getting packed—the doors will be bulging outward by Wed. morning.

Checking on fires in the northwest (or southwest if you are in Canada)—the ones in Cal. are south of where we go, and by the time we are returning, they may be out. But there are fires in Ore., Wash., and BC too, though none seem to be on our route. But the whole area is unseasonably hot and dry and new fires may be coming. The recent stories about the future Cascadia earthquake and tsunami have stopped for now, but if it happens while we are near the coast, this thread may end suddenly. I hope our trailer floats. We could use sheets for a sail if I can figure out how to get on the roof without letting in water through the door. Hawaii is the only state we haven't been to, but we might float there.

Paying bills in advance so we don't have to worry about them on the road. The cat will get fed by a neighbor and a women who waters the plants, clean his box and checks on the cat. Tires are filled with air and new TPMS system installed and working fine. Trailer not washed and polished because it is like washing and polishing a whale. Camera and giant 500 mm lens are packed. Enough tools to rebuild a locomotive. Chairs, generator, compressor, wood to lift wheels in case of a flat, jack if more problems, tire repair kit, water and sewer boxes, toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates and plastic glasses to save on washing, water tank full, coats, gloves, hats, maps, Woodalls, computers and iPad, Verizon hot spot for wifi, chargers, hiking boots, and more and more.

One last blast in town tomorrow to pick up more stuff, eat out at the last good Mexican restaurant we may see for a month and we'll spend a while at the blues jam in the evening to relax. Wed. morning will be the insane finish to getting out of town and hopefully we will leave before the crack of noon. Pick up mail for the last time for a month if I can find a place to park downtown with a trailer in tow.

Last evening we met with Brian and SuEllyn (moosetags) for dinner of pizza and salad. We had a pleasant time talking about our travels, Airstreams and just getting to know each in person. They were to leave for Jackson, Wyo., this morning and we told them about the route they were to take—Colo. 139. A winding and steep highway just east of the Utah border from I-70 to Rangely. The problem is there is no good route from here to Jackson without going out of the way. And all of them are slow.

I'd post photos of the sunset sky, but none of the photos posted lately are appearing in the past several days.

First day we get propane in Green River and then on to Provo. The Springville, Utah, CG we stayed at three years ago has become a KOA and raised its rate at least $10, so we will go elsewhere. Next day is Boise where we will look for cable TV and the first official debate and the last Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Gene
Old 08-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #144
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have a great time, Gene.

I do hope you're going to see FaN while you're up there, can hardly imagine that you would not.

When you do, give her a hug from me.

Maggie
Old 08-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #145

Gene,
Last time we took the Airsteam up I-84, we stayed at this place about 30 minutes south of Boise:

Mountain Home | Grapevine 7

Very nice park with reasonable rates.

Ken
Old 08-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #146
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
hope you checked the Canadian customs web site to see what food stuffs you can and cannot take into Canada. same with alcohol which is OK in very limited quantities. same with tobacco products and of course no firearms or mace is allowed.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maggie, we won't be on the mainland of BC so we won't be hunting down FaN. Can't do everything that we would want to and have to get home in early Sept. To see everyone and everything would take full timing.

Ken, thanks for the tip. We want to get to Boise on the 2nd day and shop at Trader Joe's there. Easier to go to a TJ's if we stay in the town and unhitch since TJ's parking lots are usually pretty difficult for an RV. I am aware of that CG as I have noted it when we have traveled I-84 before.

gpt, I have only looked at Canadian regs briefly and hope to go over that and US rules before we leave, but may have to do it on the road. We will be well within limits on alcohol, etc. for Canada. I noticed the US has relaxed limits on how much you can spend on items you bring back, but we have never been close to the old limits and besides, US border guards don't seem to be interested in anything but fruit these days. No guns or mace, but I do have a hammer.

Most of the packing now is about food and I don't have all that much to do with that. Barb deals with that and laundry. I fix things, do truck stuff, check air pressure in tires and all that manly stuff. It is "division of labor", the sign of an advanced economy.

Yesterday I paid a credit card bill and Capital One's website kept telling me I couldn't pay more than I owed, but I was trying to pay what I owed. The website kept telling me I couldn't pay it, tried 5 times, gave up and then got an e-mail that I had paid it. I called them (20 minutes wasted) and they knew nothing. Gotta check bank account now to see if they tried to take money 5 times instead of once—which would bounce after it got to multi-thousands. The internet is convenient except when it is screwed up.

One more bill to pay–better get on it.

Gene
Old 08-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #148
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
food stuff across the border is rather confusing and they seem to change without notice. checking in advance so you can answer their questions, yes/no will save you from an inspection and a loss of lots of time. usually fresh fruit but it changes, as i said. also, no firewood, just in case you pack that along.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Getting the last of stuff loaded and hope to beat the "crack of noon" leaving time. Then pick up some bread in downtown Grand Jct. and try to find a place to park.

Just checked fires in Utah, Idaho and Oregon and none along our route. I'll check that daily. Weather for the next few days is hot and maybe rain in a few days.

I read yesterday that the Border Patrol was checking RV's and cars in 2012 for bombs with sniffer dogs before you get on the ferry from Pt. Angeles. Sounds like it is getting harder to leave the US too. Apparently there was someone trying something about a bomb at that port some years ago. I wonder how many RV's have been found with bombs? Seems like a waste of time. Last time we went this way (no trailer) there was one Canadian guard at the Victoria terminal and he had little time to check anything. I think the regular US border guards are at the Victoria terminal to inspect before you take the ferry back. They can't refuse reentry to the US for citizens, but they can sure mess up your day.

Between food rules, bomb scares and general paranoia it is getting harder and harder to cross the border and I wonder if that is cutting tourism to and from Canada?

Gene
Old 08-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Have a great trip Gene! With luck you will post your adventures here as they unfold. We were just in Central BC last week and the weather is staying hot so the threat of forest fires is still very real.

If you get this far east please look us up. Would love to meet you and have lots of room for parking....

Cheers
Doug

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks for the offer Doug. We will only be on Vancouver Is. on this trip. Hard to go to Sask. because I have trouble spelling it. We have been in the southern part of the province some years ago and spent a couple of enjoyable days in Moose Jaw, a town that has probably never seen a moose.

Gene
Old 08-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Thanks for the offer Doug. We will only be on Vancouver Is. on this trip. Hard to go to Sask. because I have trouble spelling it. We have been in the southern part of the province some years ago and spent a couple of enjoyable days in Moose Jaw, a town that has probably never seen a moose.

Gene
Don't feel bad about the spelling thing. I'm in the same boat. Please keep us posted on campgrounds and sights on the island as it might be part of our trip this fall as we head west and then south down the Oregon coast and into CA

Cheers
Doug

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #153
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
The Canadian border police keep asking if we have any chicken when crossing from the lower 48. Crossing from Alaska two times in July was no problem. Today returning to North Dakota, the US border police decided to get into our trailer and take a lemon, a slice of bell pepper and half avacado. Dennis
Old 08-06-2015, 01:07 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
The Canadian border police keep asking if we have any chicken when crossing from the lower 48. Crossing from Alaska two times in July was no problem. Today returning to North Dakota, the US border police decided to get into our trailer and take a lemon, a slice of bell pepper and half avacado. Dennis
Obviously he wanted to spice up his salad a bit.

Ken