Old 06-06-2015, 04:50 AM   #127
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Gene,
Really enjoying your thread. I also had the same issue with the Tire Minder but then I accidentally broke off the antenna so had to have the receiver replaced. They sold me a "reconditioned" unit for $80 that looks brand new and works fine. I still have the odd transmitter failure but have found that with a little cleaning, all is well. My conclusion is that there are several potential weak spots with this system, starting with my ability to understand how to program the thing. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 06-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jim,

Programming may be the problem. Their booklet is not all that clear to me but I tried a couple of ways they said to fix it. Each way ended up being pretty much the same as the others, but no good result. I just can't get excited by this.

And rain started yesterday and has continued with showers and clouds. We were just starting to recover from weeks of rain and now more … rain. Ken, how lucky you are to be in the dry northwest and have escaped wet, dreary Colorado. I expect record suicides soon. I'm going to wear out my raincoat. Colorado R. is getting bank full or a bit over in some places and looks very muddy. The goldenrod is flourishing and as soon as it dries out (if it does), much sneezing will be going on, and ragweed is 2 months away, or maybe early this year.

Friends left this morning driving down into the clouds. Lots of laughs yesterday, a good Mexican dinner last night. Next weekend Ride the Rockies will be round and it is best to stay far away from them—you never want to pass 1000 people on bikes, many tired and wobbling, with a trailer in tow on a hilly or winding road. I did that for more than 20 miles in Cal. one year and I am permanently damaged by it. Supposed to be sunny next weekend, so maybe we can paint outside.

One new kitchen faucet got installed. 3:10 to remove the old one, 20 minutes to install the new one. I could have installed the new one faster if I were not so tired from removing the old one. A smallish nut rusted to a threaded brass pipe was between two feeder lines and one mixed line—basin wrench could not get close to it and the nut was kind of battered. A 17 mm. combination wrench sort of fit on a 5/8 nut, but it wouldn't turn. I ended up breaking/cutting off the feeder tubes and flexible mixed lines to get to the nut. I disassembled the top parts and used many wrenches, much cursing and WD 40, finally getting the nut a little loose to to give me enough play to get a hacksaw on the brass pipe. If you have never had your head and upper back in a cabinet so that your lower back is on the edge of the cabinet without any support lower than that, you don't know what that does to your body. Even pillows and rolled up blankets did not prevent the cabinet edge from feeling like it was crushing lots of vertebrae. I've never had a nut so difficult to loosen before. And there's another one waiting under the 2nd sink, except the cabinet is narrow and I may have to remove the disposal to even get close. Not today, I think. But the new faucet does look good, works good, and is very contemporary. HGTV would be happy.

Gene

Old 06-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The second faucet went much better—either it was not rusted underneath, or the copious amounts of WD-40 I sprayed two days before and the morning of the installation event helped. Less than an hour and all was done.

We decided to bag the trip to the rez as we have plenty to do here, but will spend 4 nights on Grand Mesa ("World's Largest Flattop Mountain") in early July. Lots of late season snow up there, but the campground is supposed to open in a week. Always restful and usually pleasant weather up there. Last two years we had cell and internet there, but we'll be lower in the CG, so I don't know if we have line of sight.

And we will leave for the northwest on Aug. 5, arrive in Victoria on the 13th, giving us plenty of time to get there and visit some Forum friends on the way. Two weeks on the island and then back to the US, down the coast until just short of Eureka, and then aim for Reno and US 50 (Loneliest Road) across Nevada, a journey we have made several times. We'll miss the world's best pizza in Gualala, but we are figuring on 29 or 30 days and that's enough.

So, that makes 4 trailer trips this year (maybe 4,000 miles bringing us close to 55,000). And remodeling of course—hope to finish great room, hallway crown molding, some door painting, kitchen cabinet painting and hardware and paint the exterior of the house. There is also fighting the man—Dish just increased our rate by 50%, Verizon continues to screw us for internet and who knows what other company will try to stick it to us next. No wonder everyone is angry—dealing with banks (one credit union we use now requires two passwords in the form of "security questions" that I never wrote down the answers to), cell companies, cable, satellite, etc., can make anyone go over the edge. No wonder we go take the trailer and hide somewhere.

Four weeks to camping.

Gene
Old 06-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The Delta faucets have been functioning properly. They were a little stiff when we first used them and as Bob reported, switching flavors and flow was hard to set, but they have loosened up as they broke in and are now working fine. All the wood (panels, 1 x4, etc.) for the great room and hallway crown molding is sanded and urethaned and ready. We put a border of black tile around the fireplace and it looks much better. It is one of those gas fireplaces that are pretty common with black louvers and a surround of brushed nickel. The tile dresses it up. I have lots of tile left from a sale ($5/box of 100 ceramic white or black 4"), so I look for places to use it to enhance something. I cut the 4x4" in half—full tiles would have been too big. Next comes wiring for two more great room lamps.

I wish I could paint outside or remove rust on the trailer, but we get a few days of clear weather, than back to showers or the threat of them. Grand Jct. is 50% over normal precipitation for this year. It seems when it is clear, I have other things to do. Barb's parents may come this week, or we may go get them, or the visit may be postponed again. Weather has intervened. Waiting to find out what is happening prevents planning ahead. I don't want to tear apart the great room when people are coming to visit.

But we now have reservations on the Pt. Angeles—Victoria ferry in August and a site at Westbay Marine Village for 3 nights. Our Forum friend in Victoria tells us summer on the island means reservations are necessary, especially on weekends. He sent me lots of recommendations for CG's. A tour book on Vancouver Is. will arrive in a few days and I can research more, though I think we will go to Strathcona and Tofino and drive a loop around the southwest corner of the island. Except for the loop, we've done it before and know what we want to see again. I think I'd better get moving on reservations on the southwest coast and Tofino.

And we'll take off for 4 nights on Grand Mesa in July. It might be early for flowers, but early in the month works out for us best. We've been to Jumbo CG for 4 or 5 years every summer and it is close to home, cool during Grand Jct's hot summers, pretty nice sites and sometimes a riot of flowers, especially fireweed.

Photos to download, but not now.

Gene
Old 06-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
If you want to go to Vancouver Is., do not wait as long as I have to make reservations. We pretty much got what we wanted, but not everything. The plan is to go to Nanaimo from the ferry and we got a good space at Living Forest Oceanside CG for that night. Next to Strathcona Prov. Park—you can reserve sites, but the best ones are walk in* sites. There are lots of walk ins at Ralph River CG and it is more remote than Buttle Lake CG. We'll take our chances since I am told there are fewer tourists that far north. Back to Nanaimo for one more night. Next comes Tofino, but the 2 best CG's were full, 2 more (one in a park) don't take reservations and the 5th one is next to an airport and far from the water or town. So we have a reservation at Ucluelet, south of Tofino. It is on the harbor, not the ocean. Then to French Beach Prov. Park in the southwest corner of the Island—wooded, no view, but short walk to beach. Next is Victoria. Each place is 3 nights except for Nanaimo.

I have read about too many campgrounds, checking online and in Woodall's (mostly online as Woodall's is pretty weak). I hope we don't need a lot of reservations in Washington and Oregon.

Vancouver Is. is very popular and it deserves to be. Most of the campgrounds are expensive, charge for everything they can, even the showers. Wifi seems limited and expensive. The parks charge $6/day for a reservation plus the site fee ($26 and no hookups at all) and $5 for the dump. No campgrounds have any discounts for AAA, CAA, Good Sam or anything else. The exchange rate will help (78 US = $1 Can. today). The ferry will be almost $500 round trip and that's US money. We have been to the Island about a decade ago before we had a trailer. We would have gone back a couple of years ago but because of the ferry cost, we haven't. This will probably be our last trip there because of the expenses.

My advice is to go there, but take a lot of time—we have 2 weeks on the Island and probably could have spent 3, but didn't want to be away from home that long this year. Even the Island tourism organization says it doesn't make sense to come there with an RV unless you spend at least 2 weeks there. Ferries are subsidized in other provinces and territories because otherwise the costs would be too high, but not in BC. More time makes the ferry fees feel like less. With an RV, it is a place to go once in a lifetime.

Gene

*I know we don't walk in, but we drive in, but drive in means something different and walk in seems more appropriate. I still wonder whether it is "walkin" (different in meaning from "walkin'"), "walk-in" or "walk in".
Old 06-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Every time we drive down to Grand Junction, we see lots of sandstone plus views of the Grand Valley. Here are some photos of the trip down. We drop 1/2 mile in about 8 miles. For some people this would be a scary and then tedious trip, but we are used to mountains and enjoy the beauty of the surroundings. One day I'll take photos coming up. The fourth photo is from a bar in GJ where there's a blues jam every Tuesday. The music is better than the food, but you can't beat the soup d'jour.

Just treated most of the trailer rust with Ospho. Had to remove just about everything I could from the tongue and also clean off the stairs. I'm sure there is other rust, but that was enough for today. The afternoon sun is pretty intense and after a cool and wet spring, I'm not used to it. Paint tomorrow if the rust has been chemically transformed.

Gene

1-3 Little Park Road about a mile from our house where the road starts downhill.

4. On the wall in Charlie Dwellington's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	241331   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	241332  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	241333   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	241334  

Old 07-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We've been overwhelmed by painting the house—if you ever decide to paint the outside of your house, immediately contact me and I'll talk you down. Still, I guess we're saving a lot of money so we can take a trip to the northwest.

Our 4 nights on Grand Mesa a while ago were relaxing. It rained fairly often and was cloudy and cool most of the time, so we stayed inside for the most part and read, watched Grand Jct. TV (a local repeater worked for the first time up there), listened to music or napped. Well worth it.

Got a better hot spot plan from Verizon—costs too much, but will actually save us some money. Broadband where we live is awful, so this is all we can do. The County couldn't care less and that is the prime reason businesses won't relocate here, but the County is badly run. When we go to Canada, then we get totally ripped off—$20 for 250 Mb—you can use that in a few days reading the NY Times and the local paper. I think there are Canadian plans you can use, but I don't know anything about that. And on Vancouver Is., it seems the commercial CG's change extra for wifi.

Gotta go paint and paint and paint. I sort of hope it rains again so I can get a rest.

Gene
Old 07-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #134
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
I completely feel yer pain re: the exterior painting. I painted our two story "for the last time" 2 years ago. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm just too old to get on the top of a 32 foot ladder any longer. Sux getting old.

Look around for the data plans. Sorry I can't give you any specifics for Canada. Living in a wired world is great until you have to pay the bill for something out of the ordinary.

Be careful on that ladder.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:51 PM   #135
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I completely feel yer pain re: the exterior painting. I painted our two story "for the last time" 2 years ago. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm just too old to get on the top of a 32 foot ladder any longer. Sux getting old.

Look around for the data plans. Sorry I can't give you any specifics for Canada. Living in a wired world is great until you have to pay the bill for something out of the ordinary.

Be careful on that ladder.

Jim
Just remember: 99.34% of the time it is better than the alternative.

Ken
Old 07-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #136
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Ha!! Any day vertical, and not Tango Uniform is a plus, right?

That's Toes Up for the uninitiated.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 07-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #137
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Ha!! Any day vertical, and not Tango Uniform is a plus, right?

That's Toes Up for the uninitiated.

Jim
In the navy when they would tag a piece of equipment with "TU", they told me it meant "Technically Unsatisfactory". You mean there's something else?

Ken
Old 07-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
"Toes Up"????

Ain't the way this former Navy person remembers the translation....

We referred to a different part of female anatomy in the vernacular if you get my drift.

We won't get into other mnemonics, Falcon Codes, or the like in a family space...

Been there, heard that, still giggling!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #139
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Remember boys, I'm trying to abide by the rules and keep my posts "family friendly". We need an smilie for "wink, wink, nudge, nudge".

Gene, I just saw an ad on TV for T-Mobile. The claim was for "unlimited phone and data" in "The USA, Canada and Mexico". Might be worth checking out. Of course, I never believe the claims of "unlimited", but it still may be worth looking into.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 07-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #140
King of the Zebra Speedo

1974 31' Sovereign
Obrien , Florida
There's rules??? What the he....ck!!!

-Red, breaking all the ******* rules...