Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
Road Trip Virginia

We are planning a road trip throughout the state of Virginia in April. Would love to know about "must see" places. Anyone with advice about "known" or "little known" places would be greatly appreciated.
laulenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Monticello and Mt. Vernon.

Floyd, Va on a Friday night.

Maggie
Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
You could check out Williamsburg/Jamestown area. Very historic, also a Busch gardens right there as well. Norfolk/Virginia beach you have some attractions, Navy ships (Wisconsin) and the Va beach "boardwalk". Lots of quaint little towns on both the northern neck/western shore of the Chesapeake bay as well as the eastern shore across the bay bridge tunnel. Or you could head south a bit and check out the outer banks in NC, go as far down as Hatteras or Ocracoke. Out to the west you have the blue ridge parkway, Shenandoah mts, Luray caverns and natural bridge.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Look at the thread for "Tail of the Dragon"..... (rent a convertible or camp and unhitch before you run it - reduces the white knuckle factor).

Floyd is GREAT for bluegrass! Virginia Highland Haven Airstream only park 15 miles north of Floyd too. Met Doug & Maggie there. It's a wonderful stop over. There's one traffic light in Floyd County - it's in Floyd city, and anywhere within 3 blocks of there you'll find great music, nice people and good food. Also a hardware store that will remind you of what they were like in the 1950's and earlier.

Anywhere along the Blue Ridge Parkway is a great run too.

Brunch at Chateau Morrisette winery 15 miles south east of Floyd just off the Blue Ridge parkway. And bring your trailer cause it's a shortie. Go to the wine tasting, then sleep it off in your own bed!

Paula
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I have a suggestion......

Do a google search for " The Crooked Heritage Trail "
It is a scenic route with numerous historical musical destinations, and musical happenings ( Barn Dance, Bluegrass Jam Sessions, Country Music hot spots, music museums, concerts, and shows). There are campgrounds and rental cabins along the way.
Also old Route 11 that runs along new I 81 in the Shenandoah Valley is great for antique hounds.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

If you are into adventure, there's a skydiving place out of New Market, Va.. Also about a mile down the road from the airport is the New Market Battlefield. If you give the airport a call, ask Bob if he minds if you boondock over night there, he and I fly hot air balloons together. As part of our Rt. 11 Caravan we boondocked at the airport for a night. Campground in Edinburg called Creekside is real nice and has fly fishing in the creek going by the campsites.

Enjoy,

Enjoy,
Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
Great find.

While traveling south of Mt. Jackson on Hwy 11 we spotted this covered bridge and wished I had my airstream along to get a picture of it coming out of this historic landmark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09201.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	179088   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09202.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	179089  

TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
We have stayed overnight at the Virginia Highland Haven Airstream only park, and were treated very nicely. I have passed by the Creekside RV park at Edinburg (mentioned above) many times. I never camped there because I was so near my sister's place, but it looks inviting. I have been from top to bottom and side to side of Virginia and have never found a place uninteresting. The Skyline Drive is a favorite, yet I love the power and might of Norfolk as well. Usually when close I make it to Washington, DC and love every minute of time spent there. Just have fun and enjoy the great outdoors as well as modern greatness of our great nation.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
Thanks for responding..Sounds like fun.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
Thanks for responding. We'll ck out The Skyline Drive, and Norfolk is a must!

We have a week in DC before traveling through Virginia.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
Thanks. Will ck it out on Google.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
Thanks for responding. We love bluegrass music! The hardware store sounds like a fun place to investigate. We're from California, so wine tasting for us is always a treat.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
Thanks for responding. Jamestown is on our list. Also the coastal towns.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Monticello and Mt. Vernon.

Floyd, Va on a Friday night.

Maggie
Definitely those two. Just added Floyd to our list of places to see.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
A few random tips:

Stop in Staunton, Virginia the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, a really neat little town oozing character and charm. As Airstreamers with a love of vintage, stop at Wright's Dairy for burgers and the best chocolate malts. But leave the AS back in camp, and park your TV in one of the stalls with the original metal stands and intercoms.

The Luray KOA is a nice, well run campground if you're looking for a nice jumping off point to points throughout the northern Shenandoah Valley and Skyline Drive. Luray itself is a very nice small town, with a lot of character, and several nice spots to get a meal, coffee, and a great old small town movie theater. Luray Caverns are fun.

Just up toward Front Royal is the relatively recently opened Andy Guest area of the Shenandoah River State Park. The sites are flat, modern, and excellent, the bath houses immaculate. You're steps away from the river itself. Sign up for superbly value priced tubing float trips on the Shenandoah River at the park office.

Monticello gets all the buzz for a great house of a founding father, and Mannassas is the premiere battlefield. But don't overlook Orange County in central Virginia with Montpelier, the James Madison house. Fewer crowds, a superb site. The nearby Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness campaign battlegrounds are fascinating Civil War era sites. Ditto, fewer crowds than Manassas, and a more rural, authentic period feel.

When close to D.C., check out the Prince William Forest Trailer Park - a nice spot, shaded, borders on the national forest. Wait for rush hour traffic to end and then it's a 30 minute drive up 95 into the downtown of our Nation's Capital. Mt. Vernon is a must-see of course, but be sure to check out the ENTIRE estate, not just the main house, with numerous interesting spots including the slave quarters.

Airstram Dad
Arlington, Virginia
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quick add, if staying at Prince William, another option is the campground in the National Forest itself. Boondocking, but beautiful woods. For a good nearby dinner, check out Dixie Bones BBQ in Woodbridge, perhaps on the way back from a day at Mt. Vernon.
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Dad View Post
Quick add, if staying at Prince William, another option is the campground in the National Forest itself. Boondocking, but beautiful woods. For a good nearby dinner, check out Dixie Bones BBQ in Woodbridge, perhaps on the way back from a day at Mt. Vernon.
Thanks so much for all the info. Very helpful.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
VA Creeper

Oh, this is a must; I didn't see it mentioned previously (my apologies if it has). This is in Damascus, southern VA near the NC border. Absolutely great. It is an 17-18 mile bike ride (all down hill) on a rails-to-trials gravel trail. You can bring your own bike or rent from from one of the outfitters. They will drive you to the top and (mostly) you cruise down. It takes several hours, and it is simply beautiful; the trail largely runs down beside a stream/river.

Damascus is also one of the places where the AT (Appalachian Trail) intersects with civilization (not sure if that is good or bad). We camped at a very small RV park right downtown in Damascus.

You are not far (two hours??) from Asheville, NC, which is another really cool spot, where on Friday nights you can catch the "drum circle".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	179109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1702.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	179110  

Name:	IMG_1718.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	179111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	179112  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Sounds like you might need more than I week. I just booked Montecello for early May, one week just that area, will use as hub for day trips. Can't wait. Sbb
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Virginia

One of our best camping trips yet, was our stay at Virginia Highland Haven Airstream only camping area close to Floyd. The Airstream'ers were great and very hospitable---reasonable also. You have to go to Floyd on Friday night for the Bluegrass music. There will be several excellent bands, all playing at the same time, close at hand. The advertised entertainment in the store is good, but we had more fun on the street walking around listening to them all. We live in the Tidewater area (Williamsburg, etc)--Virginia Motto:"Virginia's for Lovers," and it is (most of the time). I hope you have a great trip. Tom
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote