Old 09-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
Apeldoorn , The Netherlands
Send a message via Skype™ to JimHoek
Road Trip, Tips & Suggestions welcome!

Hi all,

It’s that time again…

This time I’m going on a road trip during the last two weeks of October.
First I’ll be in Puyallup WA (near Seattle). From there I’ll be travelling south to Los Angeles CA, to pick up my 13yo daughter from LA International Airport.
We’ll then be going to Bishop CA and Las Vegas NV. While close we’ll probably visit Grand Canyon (never been there, yet).
And then back north to Puyallup WA.

Last time I received some pretty good suggestions… and I would very much like to receive suggestions again! Anything is welcome.
For anything Airstream, of course, and salvage yards, swap meets…, general shopping (13yo daughter…) and whatever is worth!

Looking forward to your reply!

Regards, Jim.

Jim, WBCCI #3755 OCC #1580
The Netherlands
1959 Airstream 18ft Traveler
Avatar: 1957 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer D500
my pictures
JimHoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
When in the Los Angeles area try going to the Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena.
Rose Bowl Flea Market
And try taking your young teen to the Grove Shopping Center.
The Grove
Lots of young Hollywood stars seem to shop there. It could really make her day if she's into that sort of thing. And it is right next to the Farmer's Market.
The Original Farmers Market
Totally worth the trip, if you are anywhere close by. Great fruit, veggies, meat, and places to sit, eat, and people watch.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy&Pete
When in the Los Angeles area try going to the Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena.
Rose Bowl Flea Market
And try taking your young teen to the Grove Shopping Center.
The Grove
Lots of young Hollywood stars seem to shop there. It could really make her day if she's into that sort of thing. And it is right next to the Farmer's Market.
The Original Farmers Market
Totally worth the trip, if you are anywhere close by. Great fruit, veggies, meat, and places to sit, eat, and people watch.
Cathy & Pete,
Thanks! My daugther does really likes your suggestions, especially The Grove, and I think we'll be there.
Are wooden shoes allowed in The Grove? Airstream Forums - View Single Post - Another new Dutch member
Just kidding....
The Netherlands
my pictures
Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
If you have the time (5-7 days) to get from Seattle (have a meal at Ivar's) to L.A., take US 101 from Tacoma down the WA and OR coasts (have another meal at Mo's in Newport) into redwood country and then CA 1 (pacific coast highway) through San Francisco (have another meal at Scoma's in Sausalito or the city) and Monterey and Big Sur.

Great time of year for Grand Canyon, but expect the south rim to be crowded.
You can do a good deal of the ride from L.A. to Williams,AZ on old US 66. Pretty good food at the cafe in Ludlow and at the Hungry Bear in downtown Needles.

If you go to Vegas, take a side trip to Rachel on the Extraterrestrial Highway and stop at the Little AleInn....the eastern side of Area 51. (Fuel up before you leave US 93) You'll wind up on US 6 east of Tonopah.

If you're going between Bishop and Reno, take the side trip up to Bodie. The gravel road up there is pretty rough.....we dropped the trailer 1/2 way up at a turnout and went the rest of the way in the pickup. Some pretty long hills on US 395.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
JakBluMule,
Thanks a lot!
I've been able to locate the places you've mentioned, put them in my GPS and most certainly will visit some.
The Netherlands
my pictures
Old 10-07-2007, 12:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
If you have time a drive down the Oregon Coast is beautiful! If it is raining (often is...) it will be a slow go... lots of lighthouses and interesting things to see along the way.

The mountains in Northern and Eastern California could have early snows at this time of year so be aware of the weather. Traffic in California south of Sacramento is generally hectic and often icky... you can check conditions at the California State website at: Welcome to California They also have a phone number you can call on your cell to get fairly up to date information if you don't have wifi access on the road.

If you go to San Francisco and are pulling a trailer ~ it is not a RV friendly city. You can wind up on very, very steep hills with a stop sign at the top and parking with a trailer is close to impossible. However, in SF a trip to Crissy Field (under and near the Golden Gate Bridge) is excellent and so is the Exploratorium. It is a really fun Science museum for young and old alike!

In Sacramento the Train Museum and Sacramento Old Town is worth the stop as well!

Have fun and let us know what cool things you see!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Ashland City , Tennessee
If you are going to the Grand Canyon take some of old route 66. The strech east of Barstow is rough but it smothes out after 8 miles or so. Lots of ruins of old business along this piece to Neddles. The part from Kingman toSeligman is the only part that deviates from the Interstate as much as the Califonia strech. Going through the reservation maybe a good learning experience for you teenager. Safe travels and remember, 66 can be remote. California desert for sure. Go ready. Steve