Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
[QUOTE=Steve & Mary;1416939]We picked up our new AS in 2008 in LA and headed to NM on the way home. Before we got there we hit a storm in AZ and had plently of salt conditions to deal with. As soon as I got back to Louisiana I washed the underside as well as the topside. I still get underneath every year and do a good spray down with WD-40. QUOTE]

Do you use a pressure washer or go to a self-serve car wash?
How do you get under it? With a creeper or just crawl?

What bothered me was I knew it would still be below freezing when I arrived home, no chance to wash. I was lucky that the sun came out and dried up the roads so it looked as shiny as when we started out. I have to store mine off-site because of deed restrictions but as soon as possible I'll bring it back here and give it a good washing and apply WD-40

Since you've had yours since 2008 it appears a good washing will prevent any problems. You must buy WD-40 in the industrial sized 30 gallon drum.

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
The undercarriage may clean itself if you drive through heavy rain for a few hours in an area farther south, as if you are traveling north to south in winter into states with no salt. Jim

avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
We are saltwater fishing people, so there is no way to launch the boat without dunking the majority of the trailer in salt water. The best way to rinse the trailer that I have found is that when you are back at the house, condo, camp, etc. just put a lawn sprinkler on a hose and stick it under the middle of the boat on the trailer and let it run full tilt for about 30-45 minutes. If you can do this on grass, so much the better. I don't see why this would not work for the underside of an Airstream.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would think a sprinkler spraying full tilt up under an Airstream for 45 minutes would soak the insulation and plywood subfloor, and may lead to electrical problems. But then I don't trust the water resistance underneath enough to tow in heavy rain either.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There is salt everywhere this winter, even in Georgia and Alabama.

perryg114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
But not all the time and not in Fl. Jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Severna Park , Maryland
Interesting posts-I have not exposed our current trailer to salt; but, sure limits some opportunities.

Consider the product Fluid Film. A boating friend made the recommendation to me when I purchased a new boat trailer. I spray it on all fasteners on the trailer and it does an amazing job in the salt. It is a lanolin product and I found it in Tractor Supply.

Haven't given it much thought for our Airstream; maybe undercarriage....???
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:43 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Salt is defiantly not your friend, save your quarters and just car wash hose it our get the cracks and seems the best around the rivets and belt lines. Is the same as owning a vintage car it's delicate.

shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote