Old 04-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #57
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
That depends on the chicken. Southwest chickens lay salsa-laden eggs.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
eggs come without salsa?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Hmm, when my DW left I got the trailer, she got the (real) house . . careful of which one you become most attached to. .
Personally, having been there 'n done that, I'm positive you got the best end of that deal.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Personally, having been there 'n done that, I'm positive you got the best end of that deal.
Why it's important to be careful, eh?
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Is it still okay to talk about food on here?

I, too, like to check out the local food landscape. Yes, I've paid the price but, to me, that's a big part of the fun of traveling.

If you even have the (dis)pleasure of driving I-5 in Oregon, try to stop at a little town called Rice Hill. There's a great burger joint called "K & R Drive-In." A double bacon cheeseburger, some fried pickles and a milk shake should be all the food you'll need for the day. Stop by the CAT scales on the other side of the freeway after you eat to make sure you're still under your GCVW!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
OK one more for the list....
This is one of my families favorites from when I was just a wee tot. When we were traveling through or near Hartford CT my parents would always stop at Reins Deli (it is actually just north of Hartford in Vernon CT). This is an honest to God "New York Deli" that just doesent know where NY is! Absolutely one of the best places on the planet to have pastrami and corned beef on rye! We almost never get there these days but if I have even the possibility of an excuse we head in. Maybe a little road trip this weekend.
Bruce
Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #62
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Spahr's Seafood Restaurant 3682 East US-90 in Des Allemands, LA 70030. Best fried catfish ever! If you have an RV, trailer, or 18-wheeler, you've got to parallel-park just off the shoulder of the eastbound highway because the restaurant's parking lot isn't terribly large, but it's worth the hassle.

They do have two other locations nearby in Houma and Thibodaux, LA but I haven't eaten at those.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Where I come from the chickens lay eggs over easy with a plate full of grits on top of them ...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
For those who love to try knew places and travel a lot you might want to down load the app Diners, Dives and Drive-ins. It list the places on the the TV reality show by the same name. It is up to date shows directions etc.

Over the years I have found similar types of places to be some of the best places to eat. Nothing fancy just good down home cooking

John
Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Like Bruce and several others here I am another who thinks that one of the great joys of travel is the discovery of people through of their food and local customs.

I’ve traveled for over 50 years now, and to 60 countries, and this holds true pretty much everywhere.

Across North American, regional specialties, time honored local institutions, the interplay between folks in eating and drinking places and the great diversity of local customs and taste makes it all endlessly fascinating.

In the age of the iPad and the Internet just Googling the name of the town you’re in, and maybe Where to Eat In So and So, often turns up clues to interesting places.

Traveling with such an interest, you eventually develop a sixth sense which helps you read between the lines of the Trip Advisor and Yelp and Chowhound, etc and etc. reviews. This added sense mostly protects you from the misguided advice of locals as well. You learn fast that a cab driver’s idea is hardly ever your idea of where you wanted to go.

Almost everywhere in North America you will find places that have become local institutions. There’s usually a good reason for the local, or wider, fame.

Right near Jackson Center, at Sydney, Ohio, you’ll find a 100-year-old diner, still in it’s last 1940’s building:

The Spot to Eat!

These are the kinds of places that folks in old age homes still remember having their first date at - and where the Jell-O is still served in chunky glass bowls.

Even if DINER is not your food style the charm and eccentricity of these places almost always make the visit worthwhile. And they are everywhere to be found.

A few warm memories of my last trailer trek down South:

Very regional things like gooey butter cake in SAINT LOUIS, gumbos and budin in LOUISIANA (even if the best gumbo I had was served at the GUMBO BAR in historic downtown GALVESTON, Texas), breakfast tacos in AUSTIN, TX, among the many, many other local treats.

The explosion of craft brewing everywhere: Have a Magnolia Pecan Ale from Kiln, Mississippi with your Southern dinner at the Walnut Hills Round Table in Vicksburg or spend an evening at Bell’s Brewery in KALAMAZOO, Michigan.

The totally unique AUSTIN, TEXAS food scene, with its “trailer park restaurants” – several blogs and web sites devoted to the subject – and the World Headquarters for WHOLE FOODS, which is really a GIANT RESTAURANT masquerading as a super market.

(Another way to find interesting stuff: Google ‘New York Times’ plus the name of the town you’re in. They have a way of finding cool, funky, terrific places. That’s how I found JUSTINE’S in Austin, about the best French Bistro this side of the Atlantic, hidden away in a rough industrial section of town, across the road from a propane plant!)

I also found ADMIRAL that way, in Asheville, N.C. Described as in a “ cinderblock building in the wage earning section of town” (probably an old auto body place), the fresh caught fish served with wild ramps was unbelievable, like something you’d expect to find in San Francisco or Boston.

And there is someplace to eat besides the Waffle House in Meridian, Mississippi. At one of the oldest restaurants in America, WEIDMAN’S (1870), I had a pork cutlet to die for. Being in the South, I kept trying them. Same thing at the Black Mountain Bistro in Black Mountain, N.C. - and at EPIPHANY in downtown Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

And smokehouses across the South:

Indy Anne of this Forum tipped me to The Original DREAMLAND in Tuscaloosa. This is the 1950’s original in a former black ghetto, not the fancy franchise that’s downtown now - and in some other Southern cities. Hard to find and worth the effort.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dreamland.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	156317

PAPPY’S in midtown Saint Louis is so famous that I had to go 4 times before I got in. Closes early, around 9, when the food runs out.

The Germantown Commissary has great ribs and cool local flavour in suburban Memphis TN.

And neat novelty places like TED DREWE”S FROZEN CUSTARD, operating for 80 years now in Saint Louis. Open the 11 warmest months of the year, the “concrete” custard is served to you upside down, with the spoon unable to fall out the so-thick, delicious product.

Name:	ted drew sign.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	156322

Name:	ted drewes.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	156319

SOLLY’S HOT TAMALES is now an institution in Vicksburg, Mississippi, having operated there since 1937.

The only BORDEN'S Ice Cream and Soda shop left in America is still running in Lafayette, LA.

Name:	bordens lafayette.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	156316

Herby K’s is a 1936 landmark in Shreveport LA, still serving visiting fireman and the local cops.

Name:	herby k out.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	156318

The TOMATO PLACE, just south of Vicksburg on the famous Blues Highway 61, is a cool spot featured as “Best of the Road” in this year’s Rand McNally Road Atlas. Seasonal fruit and vegetables, local products, good eats and the funky hats the owner likes to wear around the joint.

Name:	tomatoe 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	156321

Name:	tomatoe place.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	156320

I’m going to stop now but will report in after my return from Newfoundland and Atlantic Canada this summer.

My mouth is watering already.

Sergei

Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
azflycaster....I noticed the White Castle Crave Case....now ther is fine eating...when in the South give Kristles a taste.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Speaking of the South, I think it was Ocean Springs, MS where we had one of the best meals ever at Hartz Fried Chicken.

Went in there one Sunday after leaving Gulf Island NS, I believe. Little old place, jam full parking lot and found a buffet of the most delicious fried chicken and fixin's we have ever eaten. Everyone in there just from church, it seemed, and they were hopping to keep the buffet full.

One of those places we were glad is not available on a regular basis.

Maggie
Old 04-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Ist time for me and a 60 Trade Wind

I had never been there before. But for years I have wanted to stop at a White Castle. We do not have them in my area. My wife always said NO when we had been in Ohio. Well today I was solo in Ohio. So I made it happen. Checking it off my list.

Ace in PA

Name:	at White Castle.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	156389
Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
We love our microbrews so as a rule we seek out the local microbrewery or brewpub. People who appreciate good fresh brew usually like good food too so the locals at the bar often serve as our references. We try to eat what the particular area we happen to be in is known for....BBQ, tex-mex, Cajun, seafood, etc. it's worked for us for years. That being said there's also the option of filling a growler or two and then cooking out at the campsite. My favorite meals are the ones we do ourselves at a great state park campground or boondocks site.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
We love our microbrews so as a rule we seek out the local microbrewery or brewpub. People who appreciate good fresh brew usually like good food too so the locals at the bar often serve as our references. We try to eat what the particular area we happen to be in is known for....BBQ, tex-mex, Cajun, seafood, etc. it's worked for us for years. That being said there's also the option of filling a growler or two and then cooking out at the campsite. My favorite meals are the ones we do ourselves at a great state park campground or boondocks site.

There is wisdom in these words....
Bruce