Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
We focus on trying to avoid "mystery food" from the unknown restaurants that show up in many small towns along the routes we take.

It's not hard, in view of the fact that we are towing a trailer that has lots of food in it. I love peanut butter sandwiches! And saving money is fun, too!

Need I say more...?
Agree with Aagae. Have kitchen will travel~! The lure of the Airstream is my own bed and my own food! Why in the world would I want to sit in a hot, stuffy (and dirty?) roadside eatery when I can enjoy my own fresh food in the fresh air.

However, what I like to do is stop and purchase regional specialities - savour the local flavours - be it fresh fish, fresh fruit....whatever....for meal preparation in the AS later. I also like to keep a keen lookout for roadside stands/ food boutiques which sell cottage preserves, baking, condiments etc. Oregon has a wonderful chain of stores called "Made in Oregon" which specialize in state-made gourmet specialties..... Made In Oregon | Pendleton Blankets, Tillamook Cheese, Gift Baskets | Oregon Gifts | Made In Oregon

A couple of weeks ago I was at Harrison Hot Springs, sans Airstream, and found a wonderful shop which sells smoked salmon, hazelnuts (including hazelnut brittle to die for!) and flavour-infused honey. If I had the trailer, it would have been loaded up with salmon, honey, raw hazelnuts, and some of that brittle!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
yay!!! for local and fresh!!!
when we are out - with or w/o AS - we know we're always safe if there's a whole foods/sprouts/trader joe's in our path. If we don't feel like cooking, we'll take out healthy and enjoy at "home". definitely search out coops/farmers markets. we'll go out of our way to enjoy them and stock up!
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Opinions about restaurants are so subjective, I've quit asking for them.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hey KerriO, food obsessive bay area native here too. It's a trick with online reviews, so many can be good reviews of awful places. We used to try reviews in Gourmet- the taco truck in Guernville was reccommended and it is a regular stop. Also, just going with a gut feeling- I try and see what is being served while looking at the menu. One thing about our trailer that I love,it's tiny but I have a four burner range and an over with a broiler. I make pizza crust at home and we make pizza in the trailer- awesome especially if we find some local good cheese or asperagus or something. We buy local eggs here in Sonoma, so fritatas are a staple, and I prepare scones (flour cut into the butter at home) and then add milk and bake in the trailer. It is also great for making friends, when people smell stuff baking and gravitate to the trailer.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
The Best Smoked Salmon/Hazelnut Brittle

Found it on the net. If you're ever in Harrison Hot Springs.....

** Papples Market - Lone Wolf Musings
Old 04-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #26
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I agree that often internet reviews are unreliable - I often think an establishment may stuff the ballot box... but there are some awesome spots to stop in almost every town. You know them when you see them - they have stuffed parking lots when others are mostly empty.

The last two cool finds for us were the HiLo cafe in Weed CA, diner food but fresh and fast and the Terminal Gravity Brewery's Public House in Enterprise OR. Local Brew pubs almost always have great food with local ingredients and seasonal specialties.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I agree that often internet reviews are unreliable - I often think an establishment may stuff the ballot box... but there are some awesome spots to stop in almost every town. You know them when you see them - they have stuffed parking lots when others are mostly empty..
Yep, that's our philosophy.

We just have a more relaxed attitude about local eateries, kind of like campground bathrooms/showers. Some people can't stand 'em, others just don't find them offensive. Part of the travlin' around the country way of life, taking what you find and going with the flow. It's an adventure.

We prefer preparing our own meals, but sometimes we like a day off from cooking---and no dishes. A good meal with no dishes is one of life's little pleasures.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
A thread search (as before) will reveal depth.

My favorite the past decade has been Roadfood.com - Your Guide to Authentic Regional Eats
BruceB I've been using it ten years plus. Reliable, not perfect. Cross-reference restaurant name against recommendations on Chowhound.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
You can usually spot those inhouse reviews a Vegas buffet-table away. Especially when there are multiple-choice buttons for service, food, value, atmosphere etc. They will rate everything as "excellent" but will throw in one "very good" because they do not want to be too obvious.

I think the genuine reviewers submit when a place is very good or very bad. If a restaurant has no reviews, that probably means it is mediocre at best. Not the worse place to eat - but certainly not the best either.

I pen restaurant reviews as a bit of a hobby. Does a poisoned palate = a poisoned pen. Frankly, yes. What Kitty Kelly did for celebrity - I can do for cuisine i.e....

When Reviewing One Voluminous Chinese Buffet: "There was enough food to feed l.5 billion Chinese, but if you want quality, go someplace else."

One Fatburger Outlet: "Will I eat here again? Fat chance."

Another One of Those Roadside Eateries: "Whenever you see one of those chain "family restaurants" close to the highway interchange, keep on driving because it's guaranteed to be another gastronomical car wreck."

One Diner in Hope, B.C. (Where the first Rambo was filmed). This was interesting because there was a line-up to get in. Big disappointment!

"Hopeless in Hope

Rambo: 'You got some place I can eat around here?'
Teasle: 'There's a diner about thirty miles up the road.'

What's the line-up to get into this joint about?

Is the food really that good.....or is it a casting call for another Sly Stallone flick?

This place may appeal to a shell-shocked soldier, but if he really is nostalgic for those C-rations that have been carpet-bombed by sodium, he should have never left the war.

One thing it has going for it are the friendly servers. If you're lonely and haven't seen a woman since???....it's a great place!

Otherwise, keep driving right on through town, mac."

However, since purchasing the Airstream, I seldom eat out. You are safe.

But, it was a lot of fun!!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
As I began this thread I should submit a couple of successes from our last trip (before Airstream). These we found using the "Where To" app.

Yellow dog Eats Cafe in Windermere Fl = awesome!

Sea Critters Cafe in Pass a Grille FL= best grouper of the trip!!!

Sea Horse Restaurant In Pass a Grille = amazing breakfast.

Rodeo Diner in Kissimmee FL. Good old fashoned honest hardworking family breakfast joint....

Bruce
Old 04-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Of course as stated above the best food can be had at our little Airstream. Dorsey is preparing one of her "Dutch Oven Specials" as I write this. Chicken, three types of mushrooms, shallots, tomatoes, parsley, tarragon, sweet vermouth, butter, olive oil, and some pancetta.
This one we have had before and it's awesome!
Bruce

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2417651294.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	155756  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Love that adorable little trailer!

Maggie
Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We love it too Maggie!!!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Love that adorable little trailer!

Maggie
And BruceB's adorable little doghouse . . ready to sleep in for when he #*&^ up.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX

And BruceB's adorable little doghouse . . ready to sleep in for when he #*&^ up.
I am certainly no stranger to the dog house.....
Bruce
Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Being a foreigner in the US, I find even the "Corporate" chains quite interesting. We had a greasy meal in the one of the Waffle House places in Meridian, Mississippi which for me was quite exciting (yes, I'm and eccentric Englishman). OK, the food could have been better, although probably not cheaper, but mostly I enjoyed enjoyed watching the interaction between the clients and the staff.

That said, the best food we had on that trip was found by accident; just picking places as we saw them and trying them out.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Chico , California
I second the full parking lot comment. I've also had great luck with the "tripadvisor" app, as well as urban spoon which allows you to deselect chain restaurants. Mostly, I just google best restaurant in the town I'm nearing. Yelp also has some good suggestions. I don't know how I traveled prior to the iPad and iPhone!
bikemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I am certainly no stranger to the dog house.....
Bruce
Hmm, when my DW left I got the trailer, she got the (real) house . . careful of which one you become most attached to.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Count us as "Tripadvisor" users, also! We've actually had some pretty good meals when following reviews on Tripadvisor. I also use the full parking lot as a sign of good food except at truck stops! I've had some of the worst food ever at truck stops. Now, I just pass them by!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Trucks park where they can. It's only indicative (any more) of high-priced low quality food served to a captive group.