Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Rivet Road conditions to Jackson Center from Texas

Planned our route from Rockport, TX to Jackson Center, OH using Googlemaps ... the resulting route suggestions looked like a string of yellow christmas lights... We’ll be headed out here on Oct. 13th...

Taking out “incidents”, there were still quite a bit of cautions for road construction. My question is, using the following highways (interstates), anyone familiar with the type of road construction going on? Like, major construction, miles of narrow lanes, re-routes & detours, etc., etc.? Anything to be overtly concerned about?

From Rockport, TX, we’ll hit HW-59 out to I-30 thru Arkansas, I-40 to Tennessee, I-55 to I-57 in Missouri, I-57 to I-70 in Indiana, I-70 to I-75 in Ohio...

Any insights will be greatly appreciated! TIA
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Road conditions to Jackson Center from Texas

It's none too bad. Have been over all those roads quite a lot the past year. Construction simply is what it is. A penalty to average travel speed.

IH-20 was bad enough that this normally "fast" road caused me to see two back to back 400-mile days where my cruise control set was 67-mph and the daily average was actually 56-mph from D/FW to ATL.

Your expectation should be that traffic will slow due to single lane closures. And, that the closer these zones are to a metro area, the worse they'll be.

Over the course of a day if one is off the road before 3-pm, one has avoided the worst of those problems.

Not all construction is in daylight. Some at night, especially in cities.

You would make best time with 0500 departures and being rigorous about planning all stops in advance (day before). The Interstates are such that only then is travel unimpeded. Cars are on the Interstate till late at night. Used to be only big trucks past about 8-pm, but no more.

FWIW, I'd run 59 to 20, and 49 north from Shreveport to Texarkana. 40 to Nashville and then north to 71.

This may not be better to the way you see things.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Good points, Slowmover. Heard 70 in Indiana is not in good shape which make 71 & Cincinnati in the running.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Zionsville , Indiana
Just took my rig from Indianapolis to the JC on Friday. 70 East of Indy is under construction but has two lanes open the entire way. A few bad spots (stress few), but generally good. I did have a light cover fall off and crack (bummer).

When I purchased the rig in July I towed it from Austin, TX to Indy. Going through Dallas (rather than around) was a mistake, tons of construction and hard to change lanes and such in traffic. From there we did 75/69 north through OK, some of this was not great, made the rig bounce. Once we hit 44 it was smooth the rest of the way to Indy 44 to 70.
rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
We travelled across I-70 through Indiana to Ohio this past April. The ring road around Indianapolis and east to Ohio was in terrible condition - easily the worst major highway we've encountered in three years of full timing.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Thanks! Looks like we'll go around Cincinnati vs Indy. Definitely missing big D... Got stuck in traffic through there several years ago in a Moho - still in therapy over that...
Old 10-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Summer is construction time, no getting around it. I know that I-65 in southern KY is a major road widening project. Between Cincinnati and Jackson Center there is another major project. Barring any accidents you should be OK. Take your time, don't be in a rush, keep your speed down.

I have always relied on the app Waze to get me around accidents and slow traffic. I have the Garmin in the middle of the windshield bottom and my cell phone on the bottom left corner, running Waze. Waze always comes out the winner with recent traffic conditions because of all the Waze users providing real time data. If you haven't tried it, just download and use it locally for a while. There's nothing you have to do, it will give you the information.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Thanks, Rich, will indeed check out Waze - sounds very useful. I rarely go over 60 towing the 34'... since we're already "home", no place we need to hurry to.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mason , Ohio
Suggestion (since I live in Greater Cincinnati): Go around the western I-275 beltway around Cincy through the corner of Indiana. Generally, but NOT always, better traffic. Gets busy in northern Cincy during morning rush hour. Lane narrowing and shifting if you use I-75 going right up the center of Cincy.
ulwbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
I recently towed our 25' FC from Dallas to Louisville, KY (I30 through Little Rock and up to I40 through Memphis to Nashville. I took I65 from Nashville to Louisville where you can catch I71 to Cincy. Biggest mess was major construction in Memphis at the intersection of I40 and I240 on the east side of town. I65 from Nashville to Louisville is relatively open. Even the sections under construction for widening were moving steadily at 55mph. Do avoid downtown Louisville as there is major construction reconfiguring the approaches to the new bridge. Just take I264 around the east side to I71.
Candominium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post

From Rockport, TX, we’ll hit HW-59 out to I-30 thru Arkansas, ...
Depending on your time of day, you'll circumnavigate Houston, right? BW8 would be my choice, but even BW8 gridlocks on the west side during both rush hours.

Last time I took 59 north of Cleveland TX, it was a nightmare of construction, but in that area, I don't think there are any good alternates. It's worse than average construction because they are trying to advance an old cow path all the way to controlled access freeway standards. So it's not like a normal widening or lane addition project. Be mentally prepared for it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #12
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Thanks so much for the great advice here! We’re going to move up our departure day so as to accommodate some alternates around some of this.

We hit some of the Memphis construction on our last trip a few months ago, or at least them preparing for their fun. Wasn’t too bad at the time...

Thanks loads for the Cincy info, ulwbob. Never been thru there so this is useful. Will watch & follow your suggestion on Louisville, candominium.

And yeah, I avoid Houston whenever I can, Interblog...

Now, on our circuitous route back, we’re planning on several stops in New Mexico thru Alamogordo, Roswell, Demming (hi Artstream!), & Las Cruces. In Texas, we may stay a few at Ft. Davis state park - one of our favs... gonna take our time .
Old 10-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Celebration , Florida
Yes, I70 is a mess thru Indiana. Went East to West from JC this summer.
I would avoid if all possible.
trigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candominium View Post
I recently towed our 25' FC from Dallas to Louisville, KY (I30 through Little Rock and up to I40 through Memphis to Nashville. I took I65 from Nashville to Louisville where you can catch I71 to Cincy. Biggest mess was major construction in Memphis at the intersection of I40 and I240 on the east side of town. I65 from Nashville to Louisville is relatively open. Even the sections under construction for widening were moving steadily at 55mph. Do avoid downtown Louisville as there is major construction reconfiguring the approaches to the new bridge. Just take I264 around the east side to I71.
We made that trip in March; woof! That was some rough road coming through the Memphis construction. We bungee-cord everything inside and it still bounced things open and even popped the sink cutting board out into the floor. We caught the BG Pkwy in Etown over to Lexington. I-75 north from Lexington to Cincinnati is pretty good. Stop in at the Toyota plant in Georgetown and take the tour
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Road conditions to Jackson Center from Texas

The only real problem with Memphis is IH40 westbound. Real backups. Nothing of note eastbound by comparison.

59 across Houston is rarely a problem. It's IH45 in either direction that is murder.

E-W across DFW is almost always best on IH20. Though, from Austin, one wants to use TX31 to avoid altogether.

Agreed about using outermost loop around Louisville.

275 around western Cincinnati is long, but easy.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote