Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
River's End CG Tybee - Not Sure?

So was considering going to the area of savannah, Hilton head, tybee, for a 7 day summer beach trip in 2015 as we have never been to that part of the country.

We liked the idea of being very close to the beach with our small kids so we spotted this "River's End Campground".

Also my sister and her two daughters (8 and 11) are going to meet us there, and possibly shack up with us in the AS (we did this a couple weekends ago successfully and had a blast with the girls)...this would be total of 7...their website says max 6 persons per site...but perhaps they wont count my 2 year old? Ill call them about this I suppose ahead of time...we will have 3 adults, a 4 year old, 2 year old, an 8 year old and 11 year old.

Concerned though because all of the seemingly nicer interior spots are already reserved leaving only the perhaps less desirable outer sites many lite the road which I read is fairly busy...this could be annoying stress with small kids...but doable I suppose.

Beach was not dog friendly, but a nice dog park near there I hear.

My sister could rent a cabin if push comes to shove...but we leaned away from that because at night its easier for all us 3 adults to sit around and enjoy the campfire and some cold beverages will all kids in the camper fast asleep, then later adults pop in and sleep.

I had looked at the other nearby option of skidaway island state park...much nice camping spots it seems, but a drive to the beach and my wife was concerned it would be too much hassle to enjoy the beach and stuff for kids to do as we see it...easier to bring kids back for naps if we are near the beach for example.

Any thoughts? Ideas? I really wish my sister could just come down here and we go to say port st. joe here in the panhandle in april or may...but that is way far for her...

What about time of year in that region? June is good for tybee with kids?

Thanks for any and all advice folks

Oh, to the person that had PM'ed me all about Hilton head stuff to do...something happened and I think I accidentally deleted ALL my messages....I am genuflecting right now in lieu of my terrible sin!! that was so thoughtful and detailed..I feel awful truly! And I forget your screen name

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Been there a couple times with the TCT. Nice city owned park. Filled up lots of times though. Has pool, dog walk and walk or bike to the beach. Not a new park. Restrooms are showers also and were always clean even though the psrk was full when we were there. Short drive to Savannah, take the trolley tour, but might be boring for the kids. Tybee us kinda like a smaller. Gentler Key West. Some of the campsites are on the road, but those are drive thrus. When we were there with the Tin Can Tourists all us old hippies and even the children seem to be having a good time. Restaurants nearby. Staff was very friendly, ask them about sites. Best to call. The TCT will be there in April. All AS, etc welcome. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Thanks Jim. Mosquitos in June mucho?

Old 09-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We were there in April and May, yes there were Mosquitos but we could still do outside activities. Don't know if they have cabins. Remember thus us a city park and the campground roads are city streets with only campground traffic. Site are close together. At the rally we had outside activities day and night with no complaints about a lot of bugs. But they are there. Golf cart tour busses come through the park to take you to the historic sites or to the other beaches, or to restaurants I believe. I think you can get a tour to Savannah from there. Have to check that out yourself. Savannah was really impressive. Jim
Old 09-01-2014, 06:12 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Commerce , Texas
We've been there last two years in June. It is our favorite place to spend a few days going to the beach and taking it easy. Very laid back and slow pace of life.
billymyers56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I called today and spoke with 2 ladies that work there.

They told me that because 2 of my 7 are bitty kids I will not have a problem.

There is a few “preferred” sites that appear much more spacious including site 136 which the awning side has no direct neighbor and I was assured that will be nice, and not on the road.

When you book the site online, it gives a message about how technically no spot is guaranteed..but I called them back and did it by phone and they assured me it would barring some wild flooding issue or some such craziness...which they would not anticipate.

I dont mind bug spray for the “skeeters” just dont want to get completely destroyed by them.

I think we are good to go....really excited....my sister is going to stay with us...she will pay for the spot (approx 400 bucks for the week, and she will pitch in on the food ) - and her kids are really helpful with our small kids and surprisingly this made things really fun camping recently.

Was discussing this on facebook and my brother attempted to high-jack and say “hey we should get this condo over here in hilton head instead....NO....you can do that...we prefer our silver palace.

One thing we always hated about the condos with our small kids...8pm, they sleep and we are stuck indoors....we love when they go to sleep and sit around the campfire at night enjoying the outdoors.

ok, thanks for the tips everyone....

I really am not sure if we will take our small in’s into savannah....need to research that more.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Commerce , Texas
We use a fan to blow the skeeters away. Works pretty good.
billymyers56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Great pizza place on the same side of the main road toward Savannah. Less than a mile. Eat outdoors. A little funky a lot of fun. Jim
Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have a decent outdoor oscillation fan - it's a tad small but will do the trick

Out neighbors have one of those tall plastic tower looking fans - that thing works great

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums