Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2003, 08:59 AM   #1
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
Ridged pavement

On the expressway near here, they have ridged the pavement laterally. I am sure the idea is to give better traction, but the result is a feeling of driving on ice. Other rigs feel it too. Any advice for driving on it? (other than slow down)
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Squirrely

No advice, but sympathy.

I used to ride a fair sized bike as a daily driver. I hated to cross any bridges or other grated surfaces. (Lots of grated bridges in So Lousianna). Had to start out in the far left side of the lane, and ended up in the far right side at the end of some of the bridges.

Not an enjoyable experience.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:32 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Just slow down. I hate it when we come upon that too. I'm glad we haven't run across it while pulling the trailer yet - it's bad enough to drive on with the car! I can't imagine that it helps combat ice so well that it's worth making the road hard to drive on all year around.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:45 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If what I think you are describing is what we have here, I just got familiar with riding on it as a bunch of newer construction has it.

Steph is right, take is slow and you should be fine.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:33 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I noticed very different levels of "pull" on these grooved road surfaces with different tires. My Dodge van with Kelly Safari tires was very sensitive to these grooves, while the same van with Goodyear Wranglers did not wander near as much . i don't even notice them witht he Suburban now, which has Michelins.
The trailer got squirly as well, but i wonder if this was a function of the van being squirly. I would slow down to where it is manageable. Unfortunately speeding up is usually not an option.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:58 PM   #6
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
It must be a factor of the tow vehicle. We have Michlens on the AS, Heavy duty Coopers on the Tow Vehicle.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:33 PM   #7
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by uwe
I noticed very different levels of "pull" on these grooved road surfaces with different tires. My Dodge van with Kelly Safari tires was very sensitive to these grooves, while the same van with Goodyear Wranglers did not wander near as much . i don't even notice them witht he Suburban now, which has Michelins.
The trailer got squirly as well, but i wonder if this was a function of the van being squirly. I would slow down to where it is manageable. Unfortunately speeding up is usually not an option.
I'd guess you hit it right on. I have discovered that a lot of trailer sway and "squirrellyness" is a function of the tow vehicle's rear tires and how they react to input from the combined vehicles. If they're at all mushy or have soft sidewalls, it's not a fun ride.

My Excursion is "squirrelly" at highway speeds with the tri-axle attached at 55 psi, but solid as a rock at 70 psi. Who'da thunk it?

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Grooved Pavement

That grooved pavement also produces minute vibrations that no amount of balancing of the entire assembly the Andy way will eliminate.
I think if you had to do many miles if it, it would vibrate your Airstream to pieces.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Grooved surfaces are a nuisance....

but what I really dislike are concrete highways, where you have a dividing crack about every ten feet. As stable as my trailer and tow vehicle are, that type of highway will start a bucking sensation that only slower speeds will cure. Of course, slower speeds on a towed trailer make all those idiots behind you really happy!
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:57 PM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Joe,
I know just what you mean. ALL the freaking freeways around Los Angeles have these " expansion joints". Sometimes I have to slow down to 45mph to keep the trailer from oscillating up and down like it was in a shakedown test.
BTW, nothing so far has cured this particular problem for me. Not new axles, not shocks, not tires, nothing!! Not even changing tow vehicles from a 1 ton van to a 1/2 ton Suburban. Not getting better shocks for the Suburban. (The only time I did not notice it was when I used a Mercedes ML320 to test it for a potential new tow truck. This ML has a very short rear overhang.)
Problem is, go slow in the slow lane and get an 18wheeler up your rear, move over to make room for the pro drivers, and get a Hausfrau in a Lexus wanting to go 90 flipping you off....aggravating, to say the least.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:48 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Uwe......

I don't think it matters what the tow vehicle or trailer package might be, expansion joints are going to get you bucking if you are going fast enough. My trailer and truck, with a Reese Dual Cam hitch, are well balanced and handle the normal bumpy roads and tractor-trailer pass-bys very well. I remember years ago when I often travelled the Pennsylvania Turnpike. What a ride, even in a heavy well-made sedan. I would hate to drive it with the trailer, assuming it is still in the same miserable condition.
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:51 PM   #12
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
So is it
"squirrelly"
or
"squirrely"

Perhaps its Native american
"Squirrelee"
or french
"Squirrellet"

Obviously, I am going through aluminium withdrawl, too much time on my hands.