Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Return trip from Glacier National Park

Hello again everyone!

In an earlier thread, I posted a question about Glacier National Park.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ns-107334.html

I wanted to ask a follow-up question on this.

We're thinking of returning to Seattle by traveling south to the Washington/Oregon border, and traveling along the Columbia River (through The Dalles), towards Portland, then up to Seattle.

It adds about 200 miles to our trip, but that's okay. So I'm just wondering what you think about this route? My main concern is the Columbia River Highway. How is that Highway? Easy to drive?

And any good stops or suggestions along this route?

Thank you again, you've all been EXTREMELY helpful.

ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
84 through the Columbia Gorge is a nice road and the drive is very scenic. If you haven't been, I would recommend it. There is a lot to see along the way.

The little town of Boardman has a municipal Marina and RV park and it is quite nice. We have stayed on our way back from Bend on a particularly hot and long day.

Just past John Day dam around exit 109 there is a nice state park. Mary Hill state park is green and shaded. You can drop your trailer and travel across the river to see the museum and hit Mary Hill winery if you are inclined. The Stonehenge replica is just across the river as well.

Just east of Cascade Locks you will find Bonneville dam. It has a visitors center and a fish hatchery. A little farther down the road is Bridal Veil Falls and it is something to see. You exit off the left lane and enter a nice parking area in the median. It is easy on and off if you go. A short walk under the freeway to the falls.

There are many other state parks along this route so you should be able to find a place to stay for a day or two.

The only drawback is the wind which can be very strong. I think the prevailing direction is down the gorge which would give you a tail wind but I am not sure about this. The area around The Dalles is the wind surfing hot spot of the nation and for good reason. If it is blowing, pull off at Biggs Junction and watch from the park along the banks of the river.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
I-84 is ok, just windy. Lots to do and see, as mentioned above.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Actually I like the road in Washington on the north side of the Columbia river. I am not a big fan of interstates and (I think it is 15 or 17, can't recall) on the Washington side is less frantic, and you can go back and forth across the river at several locations, via bridges if there is something on the Oregon side you want to visit. Now, it is a 2 lane road, and much more windy and twisty and up and down than the Interstate, but that never bothers me. As mentioned, Maryhill State Park (on the Washington side) is nice, but there is a train track which goes by it, as well as the interstate on the Oregon side, so it is not totally quiet. If you are in for an interesting climb, stop at Beacon Rock State Park and climb the stairs to the top. The view is worth it, and it is a fun extra hour. It is right on the Columbia.

As mentioned Bonneville dam and locks has interesting tours.

And, yes, doing the loop you suggest is worth it. If I were you, I would go from Glacier to Missoula, then take highway 12 from Missoula through Idaho, stay on it in Washington and then at the tri cities (Richland etc.) go to the north side of the river road. However, be advised that 12 from Missoula to Lewiston Idaho is beautiful, but very windy and twisty, with a 50 mph limit in Idaho for about half of it. Great forest service campgrounds though. If you decide to go that way, PM me for my recommendations on the campgrounds.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Actually I like the road in Washington on the north side of the Columbia river. I am not a big fan of interstates and (I think it is 15 or 17, can't recall) on the Washington side is less frantic, and you can go back and forth across the river at several locations, via bridges if there is something on the Oregon side you want to visit. Now, it is a 2 lane road, and much more windy and twisty and up and down than the Interstate, but that never bothers me. As mentioned, Maryhill State Park (on the Washington side) is nice, but there is a train track which goes by it, as well as the interstate on the Oregon side, so it is not totally quiet. If you are in for an interesting climb, stop at Beacon Rock State Park and climb the stairs to the top. The view is worth it, and it is a fun extra hour. It is right on the Columbia.
I have to agree with Idroba. Highway 14 on the Washington side is a great way to see the Columbia. It is two lanes, and easy driving. There are several state parks that are nice. I stayed at Mary Hill State Park last summer and had a great time. Lots of things to see, and some very nice small wineries to visit, you know... if you like that sort of thing.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Great ideas and information everyone! Thank you for all your tips and suggestions. We may have to consider driving along the Washington side, thanks for the idea.

We're excited about the trip. This will be our first trip in our 30' Classic (we traded in our 28' Flying Cloud). I was a little concerned about the drive along the Columbia. I guess I need to stop worrying so much...my husband calls me an "alarmist". Says to sit back and enjoy!

Still you mentioned that wind.....I never ever thought of the wind along the drive!

Thank you again.

Yolanda
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
sebastopol , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post

As mentioned Bonneville dam and locks has interesting tours.

And, yes, doing the loop you suggest is worth it. If I were you, I would go from Glacier to Missoula, then take highway 12 from Missoula through Idaho, stay on it in Washington and then at the tri cities (Richland etc.) go to the north side of the river road. However, be advised that 12 from Missoula to Lewiston Idaho is beautiful, but very windy and twisty, with a 50 mph limit in Idaho for about half of it. Great forest service campgrounds though. If you decide to go that way, PM me for my recommendations on the campgrounds.
We are in Missoula thinking of taking 12 to Lewiston can you recommend a campground near Lewiston ?

Thanks