Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
Rest Stop Overnight Camping -- Legal?

Does anyone know if it's legal to park/camp overnight at rest stops and off ramps, the kind you see on interstates and US highways where the big tractor trailers stop and sometimes spend the night?

"My two cents is worth every penny."
Old 06-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Varies from state to state.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I bet its awfully noisy with all the semis running their engines all night.

Kelvin
Old 06-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
It's actually not that bad. We've done it twice, and including having one running his diesel behind us. It varies from state to state, and usually if it's not allowed, there is a sign that says, NO OVER NIGHT PARKING.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
No one will question you if you are stopping to "REST". These are not camping areas and most are signed as such.
Some of these stops are monitored and others not. The ones that are not monitored are hangouts for various nuisance types. Take your chances.
Sometimes the money spent on a campground is well worth it.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
Old 06-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
What to watch for either in rest stops or truck plazas are lot lizards, ie whores on the prowl, or teams trying to break in or some times singles, it has happened several times but when alarm went off they vanished, sometimes if there is security they are aware then they go to jail. If I stop in rest stops or tuck plazas I try to stay farther away as drivers need spots to park, also if stopping do not park on side of road or off ramp as can get hit very easily, if no spots go thru park on ramp back to hiway if room to do so. never on side of hiway when leaving. If in doubt about security, truck drivers no of bad places and they will tell you if you have cb radio and ask.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It varies from state to state.

In Minnesota it's unlawful to park more than six consecutive hours at a rest stop except for motor carriers.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
There's a reason that some rest areas in Fl have full time security and it's not to keep you from resting there. Be alert! Jim
Old 06-03-2015, 05:55 AM   #9
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
Thanks for all the informative replies. I appreciate it.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
Old 06-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Yertle
Don't spend nights on off- and on-ramps...its too dangerous for various reasons. I'll leave again next week for a cross-country trek ending in Florida, and I will (as always) spend the nights at interstate rest stops (while in transit). I have done this for several decades, without a single bad experience. Just use common sense. jon
Old 06-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Avoid the entrance/exit lanes when using rest stops.
Truckers entering/exiting often have wide loads or lumber stored beneath their rigs which shift when travelling and can hit your vehicle/trailer without their knowledge. Ask me how I know.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Another option is that last I checked all the Walmarts allow overnite parking in their lots, which are usually well lit & well patrolled, & you can use their restrooms & McD or whatever for quick meals or buy food - which is partly why they allow it.

Note that at Wallymarts, truck plazas & rest stops etc. - we're talking about "parking" not camping - i.e.: leave the TT hitched up to the TV - & observe the limits for rest stops - if 6 hrs max - then it's for a short sleep while driving a leg, but they probably wouldn't hassle you much if your went 7 hrs to make breakfast & eat in the am!

We did these options as kids traveling with family in the 1950-60's (except no Walmarts everywhere back then), & as an adult since the 1970's in our cars, our 1988 VW Westfalia since bought new & since getting our vintage kin Avion in 2012.

As others have said - today it's good to be cautious & ready to leave if trouble is suspected, ergo leave the jacks up & other connections off so you can roll away quick if needed!

Travel Safe & Have Fun!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Old 06-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Can't overnight in Florida rest stops anymore -- we had a very bad period where there were a lot of drug deals and a few armed robberies that resulted in killings. Most interstate rest areas have a night watchman who will move you along in fairly short order. In the Florida Keys, overnighting anywhere outside of an established campground is unlawful even with the permission of a business owner. On private residential property, it quickly becomes a zoning issue.

As for Walmart parking, it is available in most, not all, instances. In a lot of areas (Homestead, Fl for example), the privilege was abused by people who "homesteaded" and the local authorities stepped in to stop the practice.

More and more rigs on the road and, it seems anyway, less and less common courtesy and horse sense, is starting to have a price.

Mike
Dismissive cat
Old 06-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
Check out the Ohio rest areas. They have a few that have separate camping rest areas, away from the cars and trucks. They have full hookups and dumping station. If you stay overnight, they accept $10 (last time i did it) in a machine for a permit ticket. Very nice. Also one in CT probably many more. In a regular truck stop, be careful. Your nature is to park in a quiet isolated spot with little truck noise. That is where you will get trapped by the lizzards. Stay close to trucks they are usually safer. The lizzards are afraid of them.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
What to watch for either in rest stops or truck plazas are lot lizards, ie whores on the prowl, or teams trying to break in or some times singles, it has happened several times but when alarm went off they vanished, sometimes if there is security they are aware then they go to jail. If I stop in rest stops or tuck plazas I try to stay farther away as drivers need spots to park, also if stopping do not park on side of road or off ramp as can get hit very easily, if no spots go thru park on ramp back to hiway if room to do so. never on side of hiway when leaving. If in doubt about security, truck drivers no of bad places and they will tell you if you have cb radio and ask.
Just flash your lights, that makes the go away.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
There's always the Cracker Barrel option. Most of those have ample, pull-through RV & Bus parking around back and usually don't mind if you stop for the night and step in for breakfast in the morning. I even had Beastie (the AS) complimented. As always, your mileage may vary with whatever the local manager feels is OK.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
This might not be an option if you're on the interstate, but we've found that on the smaller rural highways all you have to do is ask.

Farmers fields, church parking lots, a race track, a fairground, even the parking lot of a RCMP (police) station, have all offered overnight stays in safety and comfort.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Cabelas,Sams Club and Walmart..........
Old 06-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Another option is that last I checked all the Walmarts allow overnite parking in their lots, which are usually well lit & well patrolled, & you can use their restrooms & McD or whatever for quick meals or buy food - which is partly why they allow it.

Note that at Wallymarts, truck plazas & rest stops etc. - we're talking about "parking" not camping - i.e.: leave the TT hitched up to the TV - & observe the limits for rest stops - if 6 hrs max - then it's for a short sleep while driving a leg, but they probably wouldn't hassle you much if your went 7 hrs to make breakfast & eat in the am!

We did these options as kids traveling with family in the 1950-60's (except no Walmarts everywhere back then), & as an adult since the 1970's in our cars, our 1988 VW Westfalia since bought new & since getting our vintage kin Avion in 2012.

As others have said - today it's good to be cautious & ready to leave if trouble is suspected, ergo leave the jacks up & other connections off so you can roll away quick if needed!

Travel Safe & Have Fun!
Tom
///////
Unfortunetly that is no longer entirely true. Walmarts all over the country are no longer allowing overnight stays for varies reason from local laws forbidding it to security concerns. We have 4 Walmarts in my area. Two recently put up signs saying no overnight parking. At least one of them has become a favorite spot for muggings and carjacking. The local Sams Club still allows overnight parking.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Rest Stop Overnight Camping -- Legal?

Walmart welcomes overnight stays, however, always check inside the store. Some areas, Palm Springs/Indio for instance, have local laws prohibiting over night camping and will get you up in the middle of the night and give you 30 mins to move on. They may also write tickets with large fines.
We once called ahead to a Walmart to see if it was OK, and it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Closed Thread