Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
What to watch for either in rest stops or truck plazas are lot lizards, ie whores on the prowl, or teams trying to break in or some times singles, it has happened several times but when alarm went off they vanished, sometimes if there is security they are aware then they go to jail. If I stop in rest stops or tuck plazas I try to stay farther away as drivers need spots to park, also if stopping do not park on side of road or off ramp as can get hit very easily, if no spots go thru park on ramp back to hiway if room to do so. never on side of hiway when leaving. If in doubt about security, truck drivers no of bad places and they will tell you if you have cb radio and ask.
Just flash your lights, that makes the go away.

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
There's always the Cracker Barrel option. Most of those have ample, pull-through RV & Bus parking around back and usually don't mind if you stop for the night and step in for breakfast in the morning. I even had Beastie (the AS) complimented. As always, your mileage may vary with whatever the local manager feels is OK.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
This might not be an option if you're on the interstate, but we've found that on the smaller rural highways all you have to do is ask.

Farmers fields, church parking lots, a race track, a fairground, even the parking lot of a RCMP (police) station, have all offered overnight stays in safety and comfort.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Cabelas,Sams Club and Walmart..........
Old 06-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Another option is that last I checked all the Walmarts allow overnite parking in their lots, which are usually well lit & well patrolled, & you can use their restrooms & McD or whatever for quick meals or buy food - which is partly why they allow it.

Note that at Wallymarts, truck plazas & rest stops etc. - we're talking about "parking" not camping - i.e.: leave the TT hitched up to the TV - & observe the limits for rest stops - if 6 hrs max - then it's for a short sleep while driving a leg, but they probably wouldn't hassle you much if your went 7 hrs to make breakfast & eat in the am!

We did these options as kids traveling with family in the 1950-60's (except no Walmarts everywhere back then), & as an adult since the 1970's in our cars, our 1988 VW Westfalia since bought new & since getting our vintage kin Avion in 2012.

As others have said - today it's good to be cautious & ready to leave if trouble is suspected, ergo leave the jacks up & other connections off so you can roll away quick if needed!

Travel Safe & Have Fun!
Unfortunetly that is no longer entirely true. Walmarts all over the country are no longer allowing overnight stays for varies reason from local laws forbidding it to security concerns. We have 4 Walmarts in my area. Two recently put up signs saying no overnight parking. At least one of them has become a favorite spot for muggings and carjacking. The local Sams Club still allows overnight parking.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
Old 06-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Rest Stop Overnight Camping -- Legal?

Walmart welcomes overnight stays, however, always check inside the store. Some areas, Palm Springs/Indio for instance, have local laws prohibiting over night camping and will get you up in the middle of the night and give you 30 mins to move on. They may also write tickets with large fines.
We once called ahead to a Walmart to see if it was OK, and it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
Old 06-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #21
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We had good luck at Camping World in Roanoke, Va on our trip southbound in January. The lady at the register said " we have a thousand campers, what's one more" and when I asked a guy outside where I should park he pointed to a space and said there's even a 50a electric post to plug in. Don't get any better than that.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 06-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We have stayed overnite in rest areas in all of our travels ,and never had a problem...
Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1998 19' Bambi
Parkville , Missouri
As far overnighting in Florida Rest Stops regulations must have change since early this April on the way back from snow birding in Key West I stayed s the rest spot just north of the I75/turnpike split and a rest stop just east of Pensacola As far as I know all I 10 Rest Stops as well as I 75 south to the split are ok btw some even have RV only areas
Old 06-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Google is a wealth of up to date information.

No Overnight Parking at Walmart | Walmart Locator
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We do a lot of cross-country trips. Walmart (away from the grocery area) is the best overnight, plenty of lights, security cameras, sometimes security patrol, usually fairly quiet. The convenience of a store at hand is good.

Truck stops who allow campers near the restaurant and store such as Flying J are decent. Breakfast and a fuel stop helps.

Like someone said, church parking lots, small town parks, large stores off the beaten path and away from tourist areas can be accommodating and quiet, few safety concerns.

I think interstate rest areas are the worst. Little security, plenty of low-lifes, trailer area often full of noisy trucks coming and going all night, a few truckers don't want camper rigs using their rest area and will park so you have plenty of engine noise next to you trailer, most don't care they just want some sleep like us.

Many choices if you look ahead. If traveling to a destination with little to see along the way, it's nice to pull off for a night's rest somewhere easier/cheaper than the interstate RV park.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Nice rest areas in WV and they have dump stations. At Tamarack I-77 Beckley WV crafts during the day and quiet parking at night.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I would be limiting my o'nites to Wal-Mart ore Cracker Barrel lots, although except for noise the truck stops are usually safe. Unfortunately the options get less and less as new problems arise in these areas
Old 06-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #28
2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Arkansas allows overnight RV parking to sleep. Have done this twice now, with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

AIR 71620
WBCCI 5809 Reg 5 Unit 041
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
Closed Thread