Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
mok
MOK

North Providence , Rhode Island
Rest areas

Which states allow overnight in their rest/service areas?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Rio Medina , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mok
Which states allow overnight in their rest/service areas?
I know TX does .

Old 08-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Apparently 15 states allow overnight parking in rest areas. See link below.

Choosing A Rest Area, RVs and Rest Areas - InsideYourRV.com

Be safe out there! A lot of rest areas are pretty isolated.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The posted link above makes a good point - there is a difference between camping and getting a few hours sleep. Here is another list that may help:

State Dept of Transportation List
Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Not In New Mexico

I see NM on the list of states that allow overnight parking that Nuvite-F and Gary provided. I know from direct experience that many NM Rest Areas do not allow overnight parking, so don't plan on it. We have some rest areas along I-10 that once had elaborate and very nice overnight parking spaces, but these spaces were closed off and access denied when they became the domain of vagrants and squatters.

Most NM rest areas along the I-40 and I-25 corridors have signage that indicates no overnight parking.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

You can sleep in a California rest area for a reasonable time like 8 hours max. You can only drive for ten hours before you are required to take a rest. While towing it is a little less like 8 hours. Source: Calif Highway Patrol. (while getting a ticket)
Old 09-01-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

mok,

We stop a lot in rest areas, never been asked to leave. Stay hooked, don't put the stab's down, be ready to leave if asked. Limit the time. The crowded RA's are the ones to pass by.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

mok,

We stop a lot in rest areas, never been asked to leave. Stay hooked, don't put the stab's down, be ready to leave if asked. Limit the time. The crowded RA's are the ones to pass by.

Bob
Bob - interesting to read your comment about avoiding crowded rest areas. We have never tried stopping at a rest area or a Wally World, but have stopped many times at Flying J's.

When we started doing it, I was a bit nervous about security - and being from North of the border, we don't "Carry"! My Mrs. would never sanction it anyway!

Hopefeully it isn't tempting fate to say so, but we have never had any sort of problem at a Flyng J.

We rather feel that the bright lights and trucks coming and going all teh time seem to add a bit to a sense of security - real or not! We never have trouble sleeping as we are usually dog tired after a full day's driving.

I would feel rater nervous camping in a RA or Walmart if it seemed very quiet with little activity. I think the only way I would give it a try would be if we saw other RV's obviously doing the same thing.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Brain,

We have stopped at our share of truck or service areas, they do tend to be noisy but that is getting better with the new regs, they don't stop us from sleeping though.

Your point about lighting is a good one...wherever you stop don't try and hide, lighting is the best deterrent, and the "man" just may be attracted to someone off in the dark.

"Wally World" has always been off limits.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Be Watchful When You Stop at Any Rest Area

We are vulnerable when we stop at any rest area. This fact was brought home by the abduction and murder of an Oklahoma couple at an I-40 rest area near Santa Rosa, NM. They were targeted by two escaped convicts and a female accomplice because the couple had a travel trailer and tow vehicle the misfits wanted.

To tragedy is compounded when find out the couple were both licensed to carry concealed in Oklahoma, a license that is honored in NM. But they left their loaded handguns in the tow vehicle and trailer where the thugs were waiting for them when they returned to their rig from the restrooms.

Had they been watchful they could have escaped by seeing the lurking trio and returning to the building and calling police. Instead they unlocked the truck, tried to get in, and tried to retrieve the handgun. The thugs prevailed, loading them in the trailer, and driving away while while one of the gang killed the man and then his wife.

This trio had been haunting rest areas along I-40 from Kingman, AZ to Santa Rosa. They were looking for an RV to take to Idaho or Montanna.

Not a happy story, but worth sharing I think.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We just stayed at a service rest stop in Ohio. $20 and you can have electric too.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
We just stayed at a service rest stop in Ohio. $20 and you can have electric too.
I always thought there should be a market for real "no frills" campgrounds just off interstates to serve as overnight stops for people on the road. Just a secure parking spot (pull-through) and electric. Maybe water and sewer, but probably not needed - perhaps a basic shower/toilet building, and nothing else.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan View Post
We are vulnerable when we stop at any rest area. This fact was brought home by the abduction and murder of an Oklahoma couple at an I-40 rest area near Santa Rosa, NM. They were targeted by two escaped convicts and a female accomplice because the couple had a travel trailer and tow vehicle the misfits wanted.

To tragedy is compounded when find out the couple were both licensed to carry concealed in Oklahoma, a license that is honored in NM. But they left their loaded handguns in the tow vehicle and trailer where the thugs were waiting for them when they returned to their rig from the restrooms.

Had they been watchful they could have escaped by seeing the lurking trio and returning to the building and calling police. Instead they unlocked the truck, tried to get in, and tried to retrieve the handgun. The thugs prevailed, loading them in the trailer, and driving away while while one of the gang killed the man and then his wife.

This trio had been haunting rest areas along I-40 from Kingman, AZ to Santa Rosa. They were looking for an RV to take to Idaho or Montanna.

Not a happy story, but worth sharing I think.
I agree that this story is worth sharing. I see four lessons to be learned:

1. Situation awareness, situation awareness, situation awareness.

2. Dogs are good. If someone were "lurking" near our trailer or tow vehicle, ours would be barking their fool heads off, and we would be looking to see what they were barking at.

3. If you choose to carry a gun, carry a gun. Sometimes a .22 in the pocket is worth more than a .45 locked in the car.

4. Much as we might wish it otherwise, we are all subject to the laws of numerical ascension. When you're number's up, your number's up. . .
Old 09-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I carry everywhere I can legally, so does my wife. We both have multiple carry permits. My first rule of carrying a concealed weapon, carry it. Don't put it in the glove box, don't put it in the AS and always have it chambered. When legal I also carry a "home defense" weapon, ie Mosburg 12 ga, short barrel. Either carry it on your person or leave it home. We also have the warning device shown in my avatar, it's a rabbit, never had a dog with such kill instinct.

The last think I ever want to do is use the weapon, but then, I would hate to have my last thought be "wish I had my gun".