Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #15

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Lots of little towns have CGs that are cheap, patrolled and some are very nice.

www.ellis.ks.us/camp.htm
http://freecampsites.net/attribute/states/ks/

I'd look for these before staying at a rest stop or I'd stay at flying j and just use the roof vents.

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Lots of little towns have CGs that are cheap, patrolled and some are very nice.

www.ellis.ks.us/camp.htm
Free camping in Kansas | RV camping, Car Camping, Tent Camping

I'd look for these before staying at a rest stop or I'd stay at flying j and just use the roof vents.

Thanks for the posting the site. I've been looking for info like this for a while. I like the small city and county run camping spots for a quick over night stop while enroute to my destination.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Rest areas

Greetings Bluto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Thanks for the posting the site. I've been looking for info like this for a while. I like the small city and county run camping spots for a quick over night stop while enroute to my destination.
Something that I learned while living in a small, Western Kansas town, is that many of these communities welcome travelers to park their RVs for overnight stays in their city parks . . . and many make no mention of this fact nor do they advertise . . . all that it takes to gain permission is to check with the city clerk . . . the worst that can happen is that you will learn that a particular community does not permit this use. I haven't had opportunity to check the current status of this practice as I haven't traveled back to the area for several years now.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have stayed overnight in WalMart parking lots a few times. They are usually well lit, and their security drives through the area regularly. Also, there are usually a couple of other RVs nearby. However, we always buy something in the store (it's not hard to find something you need) and check to make sure it's OK, since some towns prohibit overnight parking. Then, we park only; nothing outside the RV that looks like "camping". This has been a real lifesaver the few times that we were exhausted and weren't near a regular campground, rest area or truck stop.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
To add to my previous post, the Ohio Turnpike has three RV rest stops as part of their regular service stops. They are at mileposts 76.9, 139.5, and 197. $20 for electric, dump station and potable water.

But the real find for us this trip was municipal campgrounds. One of the best was in Adrian, MN, just off I90. $22 for a nice quiet site with full hook ups in the town park with a pool, plenty of grass to play on with the pups, laundry (for $1.00 a load).
Old 09-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
W&S,

Those Ohio RS are awesome, they have been around awhile too.

We found them quite a few years ago when k9 showing. The DS folks posted the info in the Premium List for an Ohio show.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , Florida
I haven't stayed overnight at rest stops, but if I'm exhausted and can't drive anymore I'll risk getting a ticket for safety. Speaking of safety, I never leave my weapon in the truck if I go into the airstream. I've been carrying concealed for almost ten years and during that time I've had my weapon out 3 times when I was attempted to be carjacked twice and robbed once. Thankfully I never had to use my weapon, but all the places I almost had to use my weapon were nice areas/ good gas stations.

Granted I have more experience using weapons than most people thanks to 7 months of patrolling and firefights in Afghanistan, but if you carry then you need to practice and realize how to use it just in case you have to use your weapon in self defense. It's more of a mindset then anything. You have to be proficient in both weapon skills and the fact that you may have to take a life to protect yours or others. It's easy to use a weapon, it's harder after the fact to deal with what you had to do.