Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
ARTHUR , Illinois
Rest Area stays

I'm just wondering here.....I've seen signs at several rest areas stating "no camping" leaving one to wonder if there's a distinction between all-out, roll out the awning, set up the grill, put the carpet down-"camping" and just merely parking for the night?

Is there an unimplied difference?
beerrun'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerrun'r View Post
I'm just wondering here.....I've seen signs at several rest areas stating "no camping" leaving one to wonder if there's a distinction between all-out, roll out the awning, set up the grill, put the carpet down-"camping" and just merely parking for the night?

Is there an unimplied difference?
A lot of them don't allow overnight parking anymore, either.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have spent 100's of nights in rest areas over the last 40 years both while traveling on my own and during ten years of RV delivery.
I have never had a problem and never been asked to leave regardless of the signs.
I personally believe the posting of these signs gives law enforcement a tool if they have a problem with some one.
I wouldn't get out the Patio chairs and the barbecue, but it highly unlikely that you will be bothered while getting 8 hours sleep.
I have even parked in the car area at times , backing into an out of the way corner and never been questioned.
As always, trust your instincts and if something doesn't feel right, don't stay there.
If you have ever turned on your CB radio in some of the major truck stops, there is a lot more questionable activity there.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have used rest areas over the years without any problems. In fact one told me to park close to the building because i was going to have to leave the trailer there the next day to take the TV for repairs.

Now that said I use Wal-Mart and or Chraker Barrel more often now days.

If you are a member of one or more of the Fraternal Orders they almost all offer members over night parking and often have 2 point hook ups.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
I've said this on other threads, but…

There is one significant source of overnight parking areas that often goes unnoticed— churches. One of my coworkers used to swear by them (there HAS to be a better way to say that!) whether evacuating for a hurricane in his RV, or just traveling. Uusually quiet, usually in decent neighborhoods, and highly unlikely to turn you away if you ask permission to stay.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Here's a link to the latest state laws on rvsafety.com

RVSafely.com

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWaugh View Post
Here's a link to the latest state laws on rvsafety.com

RVSafely.com
If you scroll to the bottom of the page in the link, you'll see ©2005-2006.

Anybody got something more recent?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Camping America: Travel Tips to RV Canada Camping and RV United States Camping

2011 Driving Laws for the US and Canada

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
I'm much more comfortable at a wal-mart or sam's than a interstate rest stop. There are usually other rv'ers around at retail places.
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Trailer width?

I looked through the list from 2011 Driving Laws for the US and Canada and found that in New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and District of Columbia all have a maximum width of 96" for trailers. Does this mean that my AS Classic Wide Body cannot be legally towed in these states?

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
I looked through the list from 2011 Driving Laws for the US and Canada and found that in New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and District of Columbia all have a maximum width of 96" for trailers. Does this mean that my AS Classic Wide Body cannot be legally towed in these states?

Dennis
Restrictions on trailer width mainly apply to trailers registered there. If your trailer is legal where it's registered, you can tow it anywhere, but see below for a special case. So don't register it in New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, or DC and you'll normally be fine.

BUT, also look up the oversize restrictions for those states if you're passing through. You're definitely safe on US highways and Interstates; the Federal limit is 102 inches. But on State, County, etc. roads, you may be oversize. Not necessarily enough to require an oversize permit, but you may face oversize restrictions such as "daylight hours only."

It probably won't make a difference until and unless you get in an accident. Then, if you're considered oversize and violating their oversize regulations, you may be considered at fault even if it was clearly the other guy in the wrong.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The cynic in me says that campgrounds push to get laws like "no overnight stays in rest areas, Wal-Marts, etc." passed so that you are forced to spend money at campgrounds (or hotels for cars). I suspect there's also a capacity question - if everyone is sleeping overnight and not actively using the facilities, and there are no spots for people who are trying to use the facilities, that's kind of a problem. And, there may be a potential safety issue - if many people use rest areas for overnight stops, it's probably only a matter of time before criminals start showing up to rob them.

As someone else said here a while back, I seriously doubt you'd be chased from a rest area for an overnight stay unless you were causing a problem. I've never done it, but we were prepared to do it on our trip to Florida during the winter, in case we ran into bad weather and couldn't find a campground that was open to stop at (we made it without problem).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
[QUOTE=Protagonist;1336779]Restrictions on trailer width mainly apply to trailers registered there. If your trailer is legal where it's registered, you can tow it anywhere, but see below for a special case. So don't register it in New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, or DC and you'll normally be fine.

BUT, also look up the oversize restrictions for those states if you're passing through. You're definitely safe on US highways and Interstates; the Federal limit is 102 inches. But on State, County, etc. roads, you may be oversize. Not necessarily enough to require an oversize permit, but you may face oversize restrictions such as "daylight hours only."

It probably won't make a difference until and unless you get in an accident. Then, if you're considered oversize and violating their oversize regulations, you may be considered at fault even if it was clearly the other guy in the wrong.[/QUOTE The 96" limit applies to all trailers whether registered there or not. New hampshire is 96"only, new jersey. new york, allow 102" on federal roads and access roads but not the back roads. District of Columbia is also only 96". You might be able to permit and go other places in these states.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
But on State, County, etc. roads, you may be oversize. Not necessarily enough to require an oversize permit, but you may face oversize restrictions such as "daylight hours only."

It probably won't make a difference until and unless you get in an accident. Then, if you're considered oversize and violating their oversize regulations, you may be considered at fault even if it was clearly the other guy in the wrong.
The 96" limit applies to all trailers whether registered there or not. New hampshire is 96"only, new jersey. new york, allow 102" on federal roads and access roads but not the back roads. District of Columbia is also only 96". You might be able to permit and go other places in these states.
Thank you. I misspoke (mis-typed?) I should have said, you may not need an oversized "placard"; you'd still need an oversized "permit."
Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Kentucky is in the 96" club also except federal roads
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
We once stayed at a rest area in Conn that specifically had a section for RV's (separate from autos and trucks) and stated that overnight stays were welcome. There were about half a dozen RV's there at the time.
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Often we will eat at a Cracker Barrel and then move on down the road to another for the night.

The first time we were in Ohio, many years ago, I asked the waitress if it was OK. She did not reply and went away. Shortly thereafter the manager came to the table and said I hear you want to stay. I said no not at this Cracker Barrel I was just asking in general. He said Good I don't suggest you stay here. Did you notice how our parking lot sits above the Interstate? Well the prostitutes sit up here on the CB and call the truckers in after we close. The cops raid the place regularly.

I like an honest man.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Ohio toll road has designated camping spots at the rest stops. And for $10 you can get electric. They also have a dump station.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Most States allow overnite parking in some rest stops but not camping. So in answer to your question, yes, there is a difference. New Mexico even has covered shelters in the rest stop on I-10 between Lordsburg and Demming. You can even barbecue You are limited to stay up to 24 hours. We use it often.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
No camping in New Hampshire

[/QUOTE The 96" limit applies to all trailers whether registered there or not. New hampshire is 96"only, new jersey. new york, allow 102" on federal roads and access roads but not the back roads. District of Columbia is also only 96". You might be able to permit and go other places in these states.[/QUOTE]

It looks like New Hampshire does not want RV tourists in their state. Airstream and many others build lots of units that are more than 96" wide.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote