View Poll Results: Would you use a pay by the hour RV parking service with electricity?
Yes, I would use such a service 18 18.37%
I think boondocking is a right and I will never pay to park overnight 7 7.14%
I would try this service if it is not expensive 43 43.88%
Yes, would use this service if less than overnight fee at a local campground 30 30.61%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I'm amused that people buy Airstream campers, then complain about the cost of camping in them. I've seen Airstreamers reusing plastic silverware, and going miles out of their way to avoid $2 tolls. We really can be a cheap bunch, after buying rather expensive campers.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #44
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I'm amused that people buy Airstream campers, then complain about the cost of camping in them. I've seen Airstreamers reusing plastic silverware, and going miles out of their way to avoid $2 tolls. We really can be a cheap bunch, after buying rather expensive campers.
I don't see that as odd at all. After paying so much for an Airstream, there's no money left in our accounts, so we have to scrimp and save wherever we can!

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have always tried to find a state park or federal park, even if it is out of the way. Sometimes I stay in privately owned RV parks if they are nice and convenient. Haven't yet overnighted at Walmart, truck stops, or KOA. I have snd still will overnight in church parking lots.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #46

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Requesting comments to overnight parking while in transit concept

The process of going through the financial records of the campgrounds for sale really opened my eyes. I even sat down and talked to husband and wife at a campground at Lake of the Ozarks. They were folks much like me who were campers and thought they would like to go into the business. They were barely making ends meet. 156 sites. They told me the place was too big for them to manage alone, and too small to get the help they needed. The husband ended up teaching at the local community college in the off season, and they rented out the home that was on site. They lived in a an apartment in the main campground building. Years after I talked to them I stopped by again. What eventually saved them was the fact that they dropped their KOA franchise, and the advent of work campers.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #47
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I suspect you never studied economics or history.
Nope. Engineering.
Quote:
Assets are owned 24 hours. Those that are not in use are none productive and thus costing you money. Cost is a loss if not offset by income.
Your statement does not conflict with what I said, that a campsite filled at half price loses money more slowly than an empty campsite, and businesses that don't offer deep discounts make that decision because they already have enough business to stay in business without offering discounts. No need to lose money more slowly when you're making money.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post
Large cities like metro Atlanta have some Walmarts where the parking lots would not be safe, but in other areas they probably are. Ask the manager in any case to make sure you would be welcome. Truck stops can look safe or not. The best model is keep moving if it doesn't look safe or appealing, and if you do stay always be prepared to fully defend yourself where ever you are. We travel fully armed and prefer states where the Georgia Weapons license has reciprocity.
I may be wrong but, your RV is considered a second home, therefore, the right to travel with a gun onboard is not an issue nor does it require a carry permit.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I just quick scanned this entire thread and not once did I see any mention of the W.B.C.C.I.'s curtisey parking. This is one of the best benefits of the club. I have had the opportunity of using it once and it was great. We offer it and for four years have not had anyone stop. We can park two 34'ers and not cross the sidewalk. We can offer water, electric and sewer if needed. I do not understand why more people do not use this benefit.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #50

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Requesting comments to overnight parking while in transit concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Nope. Engineering.Your statement does not conflict with what I said, that a campsite filled at half price loses money more slowly than an empty campsite, and businesses that don't offer deep discounts make that decision because they already have enough business to stay in business without offering discounts. No need to lose money more slowly when you're making money.

The key here is getting more business without canibalizing your higher paying business. I my case I plan my stops based on my desired arrival at my destination campground. So obviously if my overnight planned stop that I always use offers a discount site rate, I'll take. That in turn reduces his income. The key is he will need to get just over 2.5 sites rented to receive the same income he got from one. That's the rub. If he doesn't, then he's shooting himself in the foot.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Smile A little bit off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I just quick scanned this entire thread and not once did I see any mention of the W.B.C.C.I.'s curtisey parking. This is one of the best benefits of the club. I have had the opportunity of using it once and it was great. We offer it and for four years have not had anyone stop. We can park two 34'ers and not cross the sidewalk. We can offer water, electric and sewer if needed. I do not understand why more people do not use this benefit.
Thank you for reading this topic. Your post is a little bit off topic, however.

The reason you have only used the courtesy parking offer once and why no one has taken you up on your offer, is that it is just too inconvenient. A traveler would have to realize the overnight is offered and it would have to coincide with where the traveler wants to overnight. Then, how to get to the location? Will there be low hanging tree limbs? Is the road in front of the house wide enough for the front of the TV to swing around if back in? If pull in, can the trailer make the turn back onto the road? Will they be home? Are they cannibals?

This topic is about a company that will be willing to invest a lot of money to provide a safe, level parking spot to RVers with electrical service, possibly WiFi. The forum members and I would like to ask you: would you use such a service as you travel, if it is made available in convenient locations ?

I don't mean any offense and I know how it is to read something and then think of something else, I do it myself. Again, thank you for reading this topic.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
This is the central point of this concept under discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
What really may have to happen is a revolutionary concept as talked about in this thread. Only if the size and amenities of such a overnight stop can minimize development costs, which in turn can be reflected in lower overnight rates.

Jack
Jack has hit on the central point of the concept we are discussing.

The company will install only electrical service. To make this work, cost of installation must be held to an affordable amount, hence; no water, no sewer service, no attendant, no dumpster for trash.

Good RVers can find those services on their own, if they need them. As I have already posted; in my Class B motor coach, I'm good for at least 4 nights before needing water services. It is easy to find a place to get rid of a small bag of trash, so the company doesn't need to provide a trash container.

What I like to do is stay in a CG every 4th day to rest and refit the RV for the next on road period.

It will be up to the company to negotiate land use with existing businesses that have land we could park on. I am going to advise the company to try to make the parking areas easy to pull into and get out. We all would rather have a pull through site, as I understand.

Thanks for the input, Jack.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
While some bemoan the cost to camp, you really have to look at the fact that the majority of campground owners are not rolling in profits. My former boss and I seriously considered purchasing a campground around 20 years ago and found that unless you were in a southern destination location, the seasonal folks aren't making big money.

Factoring in the cost of maintaining the grounds & facilities, utility, business insurance, medical insurance, and most likely mortgage payment, the profit margin is pretty thin.

The common theme we encountered in our search was you live like a pauper and retire as a king. The king term is related to the value of the property when you sell.

So going to the topic in hand, if you are a typical off the road campground with standard amenities, you can't make it on $10 a night, especially if you are in a seasonal climate. So holding our breath waiting for campground owners to offer a discount overnight rate just isn't going to happen. They need their current rate structure to stay afloat, and offering a discount rate will come at the expense of canibalizing their bottom line.

What really may have to happen is a revolutionary concept as talked about in this thread. Only if the size and amenities of such a overnight stop can minimize development costs, which in turn can be reflected in lower overnight rates.

Jack

I'm a bemoaner 😄

You are correct and I am as well. My advice to campground owners hoping to earn more income is to think about non-productive use of their facility and find ways to make it more productive. Top activity is weekends - so - offer $10 overnight stays (late arrival early departure) on weeknights - better to have 10 spaces earn you $100 a night than be empty with all those other sunk costs you're paying one way or another.

Move theaters offer discounted afternoons for the same reason.

And yes - it's damn hard to earn a living doing anything....
Old 06-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Protagonist beat me to it - but another way to look at it is by scrimping here and saving there, you can afford the AS life. I don't light my campfires with Benjamins 😄
Old 06-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wolf - I too went off topic - sorry.

Yes, I am intrigued by the prospect of a convenient RV slot with electric for those quick overnights and would agree to swipe a credit card at the post or use my iPhone to pay.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
And, some of have a "spend less, do more" philosophy, that helped us buy an Airstream and retire early.

It also helps us travel more than some of our counterparts.

Maggie