Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

View Poll Results: Would you use a pay by the hour RV parking service with electricity?
Yes, I would use such a service 18 18.37%
I think boondocking is a right and I will never pay to park overnight 7 7.14%
I would try this service if it is not expensive 43 43.88%
Yes, would use this service if less than overnight fee at a local campground 30 30.61%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
It would never be my first choice. Assuming my first choice falls through, either because all the full service RV parks are full or I'm too far behind schedule to get there, it would be nice to have a backup. If I'm in the west where I feel comfortable boondocking on public land, that would be my preferred backup (or maybe even my first choice). It really comes down to what's available when I run out of time and patience, and whether the information about these places would be readily available on my iPhone. Clearly, if the nearest available spot is 100 miles away, I'm going to be looking for other alternatives.

McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #16
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
Maggie, I have never seen sites for just overnighters. Where/how do you find them? On a couple of occasions, I have requested parking in a campground's overflow at a reduced rate, but not all campgrounds allow it when they still have regular high-prices available.
Truthfully, we didn't look for them, but just happened upon them, and I suspect these were Passport America campgrounds.

A lot of the campgrounds that give the PA discount have sites toward the front for we overnight-ers. Much easier for the campground, and less disruption for the long term residents.

I also recall these campgrounds being closer to, rather than further from, interstate highways, and that there was one way in to these sites, and one way out to the exit.....drive into a pull thru site, set up, pull out the next morning.

I don't think there is any way to filter or screen for them, specifically.

We thought it was an excellent idea.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Morton , Illinois
I'm not sure on this one. I do not feel secure in the truck stop environment, and have had a bad experience in one. It seems almost too transient to be safe. What does it mean 'There would be some security and lighting'?
CLKIESER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2013 25' Flying Cloud
sussex , New Jersey
I like the idea.There are many times i just want to sleep and don't want to get off the highway to get to the campground .The east coast has less boon-docking options .
bmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
I usually stay at a certain truck stop that also caters to RV's.

They have an RV fueling area, with propane, dump station and water.

They offer 30 day billing on fuel with a discount.

They can be noisy, and if its hot i fire up my generator.

I have to stop for fuel anyway so i try to time fueling and stopping too.

They also have good pizza at a great price if you buy a while one. lol

works for me.
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
houston , Texas
I'd use it, especially if I could just pull in and through. I'd use the heck out of it over walmarting it.
'15 27fb Signature
'12 Chevy 2500HD Gasser
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Dallas Center , Iowa
We usually stop at WalMart parking lots when we need to pull over and sleep. If it's too hot or cold and we need electric then we either start a generator or go to a camp ground.

Can the providers (investors) of this sort of service really get excited and make enough money to adequately profit from such an investment where people are looking for a "cheap" solution. IMO the Camp Ground solution really is a good one and supporting them is a good thing. State Parks are already pretty cheap as well; $12-$25 in many places.

I used to feel like I was wasting money by paying the camp ground fees for a simple overnight but really it only adds a couple hundred dollars a trip at the most, especially compared to this docking station idea where you are willing to pay $20.

Happy camping!!
Earthcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #22

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have been using this very service for a number of years now. The Petro Truck Plaza on I-81 just outside of Scranton, Pennsylvania has been offering 30 amp electric for RVs in their parking lot for at least ten years.

We have overnighted there at least a dozen times. The charge started out at $10, but on our more recent stays, it has been $15.

I like this service a lot. Easy in and out. A quick overnight stop at a campground us always a big hassle.

I would love to see a service like this, and would definitely use it.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
I like the idea of pulling in - fueling up - and plugging in without having to check in. I would only use this en route. It would have to be quiet and safe. We tried a Cracker Barrel and it worked fine because we pulled in near 11:00 pm and were out of there early AND didn't need air. Maybe if I had a dog and a gun WalMart lots might feel cozier. I like the pay by the hour electric at a reasonable cost and no hassle.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Thank you to all

I offer my heartfelt thank you to everyone who has read my Forum topic. And thank you to the members who voted in the poll. I appreciate the comments posted about the topic.

My overall impression is that traveling RVers would likely be willing to try this concept for overnight parking while traveling. I think it would be up to the company to bring a product to us that we would like well enough to use the second time.

I will pass along these findings and recommend that the company carefully consider the comments and the poll results. If they want me to provide any further advice, I’ve already offered to do that at no charge. I was flattered that they reached out to me for some advice in the first place.

My thoughts, shaped by the comments, follow:
· The service should offer electrical power compatible with installed RV equipment. A power post should offer 20 amp, 30 amp, and 50 amp RV receptacles.
· We would like a level parking site with lighting and security. The site should be separated from trucks that idle their engines.
· Pull through sites are preferred, some back-in sites wouldn’t be terrible, but we need a choice.
· Check-in, if that is the right term, should be similar to “pay at the pump” for fuel + a web site based check-in and pay concept, possibly including a reservation option.

This company usually offers discounts based on usage, length of stay, number of stays, either with on-the-spot discounts; or a “frequent user” type of program that could lead to discounted or free stays or gifts.

Thank you again,

Let’s Roll !
Wolf Alaska
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I'd use it, especially if I could just pull in and through. I'd use the heck out of it over walmarting it.
Opposite with a MH, walmarting it allows us to shop, security(lights and guards patroling), and all pull thru.
MH vs. trailer electric not as important as pull thru, can't backup with toad and genset works for electric.
Truckstop unless it has separate rv space has no appeal at all.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #26

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Interesting. I found that one of the companies doing Truck Stop Electrification setups uses a pedestal that's workable for some RVs as well. Cleverly named Shorepower makes a TSE pedestal that has a NEMA TT-30 outlet (as well as a couple others including a 20A 120v outlet) and their website shows where they're current available or soon to be installed.

Once I turn on my AC unit, most outside noise isn't really noticeable anymore. I'm sure it's different for those with newfangled ducted air. Also, people parking in the areas with electrical hookups wouldn't be idling their engines, right? They're using the electrical connections instead.
— David

Il Carriaggio — 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This is nothing more than an extension of the service offered to trucker at trucks stops. They can no longer let the truck run all night so AC and heat are available for a fee.

I would use it in a heart beat rather than pay some CG full freight for 8 hours sleep. The CGs have never gotten it and set up for late arrivals.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
I agree with Howie, would use it often.

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote