Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Report From The Road

1st Report,

After FINALLY getting under way on Sunday, I spent 2 1/2 days on the road and am now at my first stop in Placitas, NM (about an hour north af ABQ). I am here working on a Forum member's '72 Land Yacht that was damaged while on loan to a movie company. It was being used as a prop and got too close to an incendiary scene and had the front plexi wrap mindow melt, along with the lower rock guards and even the A/C shroud! It will take a couple of days to replace/repair/reseal all of the damage. Then on to OR and VACATION. YESSSSSS!!

I'll be posting more as cell service and time allows and hopefully will add some interesting shots also. Saw a total of 5 Airstreams along the route and 2 were in a storage yard in ABQ!! First one was a Squarestream on I-10 in northern FL, second was a newer looking A/S on I-20 East of Dallas and the 3rd was a polished vintage unit with WBCCI numbers headed East in I-40 in eastern NM. BTW, I flashed my lights and waved but got no response form any of the other 'Streamers! Oh,well.

Stay tuned for the next report! Over and OUT!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Lew,
Cool another cross country traveller!
if you are travelling up 84 on your way to Hood River stop in. I am in La Grande at the Eagle Hot Lakes RV park until July 7th.
If you are interested send me a private message.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Lew, you hit on an interesting topic in your post. How many of us see AS's on the road and get no response to our waves and light flashing?
I must admit that often I see someone going in the opposite direction at the last minute... but I always raise a hand to wave.
Alfa owners wave and smile, Allante owners flash their lights... all part of the great collector fraternity. What's up with some Airstream owners?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
THe perception is: we are snooty. Basedo n my expereience there is some truth in that. Generally we are a friendly bunch but there are a few who are not.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I think they are watching the road. I have rarely met a snooty AS'r. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
1st Report,

After FINALLY getting under way on Sunday, I spent 2 1/2 days on the road and am now at my first stop in Placitas, NM (about an hour north af ABQ). I am here working on a Forum member's '72 Land Yacht that was damaged while on loan to a movie company. It was being used as a prop and got too close to an incendiary scene and had the front plexi wrap mindow melt, along with the lower rock guards and even the A/C shroud! It will take a couple of days to replace/repair/reseal all of the damage. Then on to OR and VACATION. YESSSSSS!!

I'll be posting more as cell service and time allows and hopefully will add some interesting shots also. Saw a total of 5 Airstreams along the route and 2 were in a storage yard in ABQ!! First one was a Squarestream on I-10 in northern FL, second was a newer looking A/S on I-20 East of Dallas and the 3rd was a polished vintage unit with WBCCI numbers headed East in I-40 in eastern NM. BTW, I flashed my lights and waved but got no response form any of the other 'Streamers! Oh,well.

Stay tuned for the next report! Over and OUT!
Very interesting, we loaned our Excella to a film shoot last week. We are a little concerned that they may have damaged the Zip Dee. While it was interesting, they really did not care much about our AS and just treated it like any old prop. We were compensated (not much). I will post details about our experience, and some pix, when I get a chance.
My advice; if any of you are approached for something like this, take a pass. The $ money was not worth it...

Hope these folks will be covered for the damage.

Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Yes, the movie company is paying for all of the parts AND labor to do the repairs. They have been most fair in their dealings.

The Sprinter has done very well so far pulling my 19CCD. I have been averaging 15-16 mpg while driving 65-70 MPH, slightly less with the air conditioner on. The drive has been mostly flat until Dallas, when the Interstates start to climb as you head West up to my current 6000 ft. elevation in NM. I have had absolutely NO SWAY issues under any conditions with the Equal-i-zer hitch and although you know that the trailer is behind you by the decreased acceleration of the Sprinter, you really don't feel it.

I should be back on the road tomorrow (Fri.) I'll be heading thru Durango, CO to Salt Lake City by back roads and then back on the Interstates. The route from there will be I-15 to I-84 all the way to Hood River, unless I cut thru to the Silver Falls gathering if time permits.

I will post the performance report of the rig thru the mountains in the next few days............stay tuned!
Old 07-02-2006, 07:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Report #2

As I sit here in Boise watching the sun come up, I am feeling just great! Had super ride from ABQ thru the center of NM along Hwy 550 up thru Bloomfield , thru Durango, Moab UT, and into Provo all on the 'back roads. Traffic was light and the Sprinter is running well. It's all Interstate from here to Hood River now.

Fuel mileage is varying from 14 to an astounding 17.3 from Cortez to Glen River, CO. I was amazed. And all of this at 65-70 going from 6000ft to 4000ft, back up and down several times. The long climbs of 6% slow me down to 45-50, but the little Mercedes diesel is doing quite well considering the load.

Have seen several more A/S owners on the road and most have responded to my light flashes. On I-84 there was a flat bed trailer with a Basecamp and what I think was a 19' 75th Anniversary model headed East. That driver even waved.

I'll be hitting some serious climbs in OR and will report back when I hit Hood River.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Keep us posted on your performance

Lew:

I was in Michigan last week to arrange the export of my little Sprinter. It’s blacker than Toby and really cool.

I’m looking forward to driving it home to Elgin County next week.

Keep us posted on your performance.

Sergei
Attached Images

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Report #3

Sergei,

It looks awesome! Should be great when it's done!

Made it to the destination of Hood River, OR with no problems. I did hit some nasty cross winds leaving Idaho, but the Sprinter with the trailer attached actually handled BETTER than the van alone, which does tend to be a bit squirelly in the big winds. I attribute this to the weight distribution features of the Equal-i-zer hitch. No sway was evident under any condition, even the 25-30 mph winds of today.

There were some very long 5-6% climbs and then descents on this leg of the trip. I usually slowed to 45-50 mph on climbing most but then found that keeping the trans in 3rd at the top-most section of the hills, and shifting early to 4th did a nice job of keeping up the speed. Mileage was still in the 14-16 range. I will total the miles and gallons tomorrow and get a total trip average.

I did have one problem on the leg from Green River, CO to Salt Lake. My Prodigy brake controller did not function properly, leaving me with no trailer brakes. Luckily, the van's brakes were sufficient and I left extra room when stopping. I verified all of the wiring and the operation of the brakes at a rest area stop, so I know that it was the Prodigy that was the source of the problem. I found a Camping World outside of Salt Lake and they were nice enough to exchange the defective unit for a new one.

I'm sure that the company would have done the same for me, but they are closed until Wed., and I needed the controller before I hit the big mountain passes of Eastern Oregon. The replacement worked perfectly, and here I sit in Hood River for the next 6 weeks. I already have a few RV repair jobs lined up for friends, and those and anything else that comes in will help to defray the costs of the vacation, or what one would call a 'working vacation'.

I took some nice shots along the way and will try to post them tomorrow. Catch you then.....................
Old 07-03-2006, 03:18 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Sounds like your making the best of it all !!! Looking forward to seeing the pics !!!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
It's always nice to hear from the folks on the road. Thanks for sharing. What did you think of No. N.M. ?
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote