Old 09-14-2005, 08:02 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Report From Hurricane Ravaged Mississippi

I arrived in Waveland, MS last night a tour of duty for the Florida State Emergency Response Team. My partner and I are camped out in spartan conditions in a Wal-Mart parking lot,(tent) operating a communications trailer that patches different radio channels together for police and fire departments operating in the area. Most are from Florida. Conditions here are horrible. The Wal-Mart was flooded up to 14 feet inside and all merchandise is a total loss. Since it was a Super Center, all food is rotting and really stinks. The workers doing the cleaning up are wearing haz mat suits, with respirators.

We took a tour of the immediate area last night, and the devastation is horrific. Railroad tracks are washed out. Houses are total losses. The ones that are still standing, that is.The storm surge went inland for 6-8 miles, over I10 in some places. I will try and post a few pictures, if I can. We have a sat internet with 802.11a deployed throughout the parking lot. The wind and storm surge damage is much worse than New Orleans. Guess they are getting all the news coverage because of the "squeaky wheels".

Oh how I miss my Airstream. It would have made this trip almost enjoyable.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Pick I am so glad that someone is over there that can shed a bit of true light on what is really happening. I hope. Just great that you have a web line up and out.

The TV reports although essential and somewhat helpful, leave so many of the little day to day questions unanswered.

Some questions if you get the chance:
  • Is Wal Mart one of the only companies already doing the HazMat type clean-up?
  • Does the actual building look like it survived structure wise? How about the roof? (I've always wondered about the structural strength of those big box store roofs.)
  • Where do you volunteers sleep? what bathing facilities have you all?
  • What do you folks eat? How long do you expect to stay?
  • Are the mosquitos thick and unbearable? Are any of the agencies providing repellant?
  • Do the authorities expect the salt water bath that came ashore will kill any remaining ground cover (grass shrubs trees)?
  • Is the railroad already being repaired?
  • The US Navy observatory used to be right near Waveland. Do you know how it fared in the surge/storm? I think that is where the "official clocks" of this nation were located, but not sure about that.
  • I have not heard one mention of the outcome of Pearl City, Mississippi. One of those forgotton towns by the media. Have you any word on that nearby town.
  • Did you by any chance come in thru Biloxi and Gulfport? Is I-10 open?
  • I suppose US 90 is closed still ????
  • Any idea of how the USS Alabama shrine made out in the storm over in Mobile?
  • And are you correct that the surge went 110 miles inward? That sounds a bit too far. Was that a misprint?
I have plenty more, but that's probably all you want for now.

Thanks and be careful

Flicka

Old 09-14-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Flicka,
I can answer the USS Alabama memorial question for you...I was in Mobile right after Katrina went thru The ship fared pretty well and was listing slightly. The aircraft in the hanger on the ground suffered a lot of damage as did most of the ground structures in the imediate area. The storm surge at Mobile was about 19' so anything below that level was flooded accordingly. The plant I was working on prior to the storm surge has been there since 1937 and had never had a flood on the production floor, not so this time it was flooded with 2' of water. The plant is on the bay right by the State Docks. US 90 has several damaged/missing bridges, one at Pass Christian is completely gone or so severly damaged it will have to be removed. Bayuex de Batrie suffered damage similar to what Pick is describing...I have friends down there. Biloxi a similar fate, the further inland the lesser the damage...to a point.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:21 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
And are you correct that the surge went 110 miles inward? That sounds a bit too far. Was that a misprint?

Flicka
"The storm surge went inland for 6-8 miles, over I10 in some places."

He meant over I-10 in some places.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
I arrived in Waveland, MS last night a tour of duty for the Florida State Emergency Response Team. My partner and I are camped out ....
Pick,
I'm sure the people of the Gulf Coast region appreciate all the good work y'all are doing down there. Keep us posted when you have time. I'm not sure at this point if there is anything of substance we can do help you, but you should know you have our moral support, if nothing else.
Good luck, be safe and God speed.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Hey PICK,

Good luck over there. Our thoughts are with you ... maybe even a few prayers.

I won't save you a piece of Key Lime Pie from the Forum Rally your going to miss, but I will make you a whole one when you return safely!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for your efforts down there. Hope your tour of duty goes quickly and improves. I work for the State Health Department in Maryland in emergency communications. From what you can see at this stage do you have any early observations on "lessons learned" for communications? We want to learn as much as we can so others might not suffer so greatly in future events. Again, thanks, and say Hey! to my Maryland brothers and sisters serving their tour near-by. Dave Bickel, DHMH
Old 09-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Bayou la Batre is a place that is special to us. I've searched for information, and now I see you saying it is badly damaged, similarly to Waveland. No words, just sadness. Thanks for your eyes and ears in the area, your effort to help in a horrific situation, and your willingness to share your experience. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I wonder ...

... how the F-86L Sabre fared that was parked outside the hanger, right by the submarine at Mobile. That plane was stationed at Perrin AFB as a F-86D when I was an instructor there. I'm sure I flew it at when it was at Perrin. It was later converted to F-86L and ended up with the Alabama National Guard. They painted the hokey shark's teeth on the nose.

I visit that plane every time I go through Mobile.
Attached Images

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Quote:
Is Wal Mart one of the only companies already doing the HazMat type clean-up?
Looks like K-Mart is doing the same thing, as is the Taco Bell restaurant. The building looks like it took the storm surge quite well. The building facade is damaged as well as the front doors, but the walls and roof are in perfect shape.
Quote:
Where do you volunteers sleep? what bathing facilities have you all?
We sleep in tents, trailers, RV's, vehicles. They have a haz mat decon shower on site, we travel to the next county's jail and shower there or at the US Border Patrol's building.

Quote:
What do you folks eat? How long do you expect to stay?
There is a kitchen set up by Polk County, Florida that is cooking meals for everyone. You can also get MRE's or drive up to I-10 and go into the next county, where there are some fast food restaurants by the freeway. Unclear yet, how long we will stay. Florida wants all their assets out by the end of September.

Quote:
Are the mosquitos thick and unbearable? Are any of the agencies providing repellant?
Haven't seen, heard or felt one mosquito. I brought some of my own, but have not needed any.

Quote:
Do the authorities expect the salt water bath that came ashore will kill any remaining ground cover (grass shrubs trees)?
Quite a few pine trees have brown needles about 2/3rds up. Grass is still green, trees seem fine, so far.

Quote:
Is the railroad already being repaired?
Not that I can see. In fact the only thing being repaired are big businesses like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. I would guess they are all self insured. There seems to be no activity with private businesses and residential homes. I am assuming they are all waiting for insurance settlements or inspections before they can start clean up and rebuilding.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Amazing, Pick. Keep us updated, and stay safe!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Bayou la Batre is a place that is special to us. I've searched for information, and now I see you saying it is badly damaged, similarly to Waveland. No words, just sadness. Thanks for your eyes and ears in the area, your effort to help in a horrific situation, and your willingness to share your experience. ~G
Georgia,
Here is a link to a television website in Mobile, they have a few pictures of the damage to Bayou la Batre www.wkrg.com there are multiple links on the site to other sites with addtional photos, and information.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Quote:
Are the mosquitos thick and unbearable? Are any of the agencies providing repellant?

Haven't seen, heard or felt one mosquito. I brought some of my own, but have not needed any.

At first I thought you brought your own mosquitoes...

Thanks for being there.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:15 PM   #14
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Pick, Anything new? At the risk of making a hollow gesture, is there anything we can do for you? Good luck, Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote