Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Refueling on the Road (diesel only)

I've about had it with Truck Stops (except for Flying J). You have to either prepay or leave your card at the register. Well the latter I am not comfortable with, and now checking my credit card statement two places did not credit back the amount due between what I was initially charged and what I pumped. If you tow on interstates with a diesel, you know what I'm talking about.

Now I am considering a gas card, I know Good Sam and Flying J have a good card. But I may also get a WEX card. This is a commercial card and since I have a business I could get one. I need the flexibility of alternative vendors when a FJ is not around.

I am constantly aggravated getting fuel. The car pumps are a mess and the 1-2 diesel pumps there are usually blocked by folks getting sodas and Twinkies. The truck pumps are impossible to use with a conventional credit card.

I am amazed the only fuel vendor that understands this is Flying J. I have built such a loyalty to them.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I refuel with diesel all the time, all over the country, and seldom have a problem with access, tho I rarely do so at truck stops.

I mostly refuel at gas stations, sometimes at a WalMart, Meier or Kroger, etc.

Occasionally I have to take my card inside, but usually can swipe at the pump.

Maybe vary your pump choices a bit, and see if you are more satisfied.

On edit, I see the OP is towing a 30' trailer, so this is a different experience, entirely.

Maggie
Old 08-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
New to diesel, good information to know. Thanks
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
We are a 30' trailer + 20' TV = 50' and are traveling 1000 mile days on the Interstates for our western US trips. It is my son and I alternating drivers and we need to make good time so we use Truck Stops even to sleep. So I guess this post is specific to refueling at Truck Stops, I should have been more clear. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I've about had it with Truck Stops (except for Flying J). You have to either prepay or leave your card at the register. Well the latter I am not comfortable with, and now checking my credit card statement two places did not credit back the amount due between what I was initially charged and what I pumped. If you tow on interstates with a diesel, you know what I'm talking about.

Now I am considering a gas card, I know Good Sam and Flying J have a good card. But I may also get a WEX card. This is a commercial card and since I have a business I could get one. I need the flexibility of alternative vendors when a FJ is not around.

I am constantly aggravated getting fuel. The car pumps are a mess and the 1-2 diesel pumps there are usually blocked by folks getting sodas and Twinkies. The truck pumps are impossible to use with a conventional credit card.

I am amazed the only fuel vendor that understands this is Flying J. I have built such a loyalty to them.
Hmmmmmmm. We refuel our 310 Turbo Diesel all the time and have never had any problems using a Visa. Pay at the pump, never go inside, and off we go. I guess we do tend to use Loves Travel Centers when we are west of the Mississippi but not exclusively. They have propane at their travel centers so that's one reason we choose Loves. We have used others too. The only snafu we have experienced is that sometimes there is a dollar limit on a single swipe of the card, usually $75. Then I just hang up the gas nozzle and reswipe the card to finish filling up. Loves, Flying J, Caseys, some independents.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Hmmmmmmm. We refuel our 310 Turbo Diesel all the time and have never had any problems using a Visa. Pay at the pump, never go inside, and off we go. I guess we do tend to use Loves Travel Centers when we are west of the Mississippi but not exclusively. They have propane at their travel centers so that's one reason we choose Loves. We have used others too. The only snafu we have experienced is that sometimes there is a dollar limit on a single swipe of the card, usually $75. Then I just hang up the gas nozzle and reswipe the card to finish filling up. Loves, Flying J, Caseys, some independents.
mayco

Good to know. You are refueling in the truck pumps at Loves? Or at the car pumps? You are saying a regular card works in the Truck Pumps? That would be great if it did...

I can't recall seeing one truck pump that doesn't require a fleet card. Maybe I never looked at Loves but I'm sure I have.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We usually pay with cash, easier and you get .06 cents off...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
mayco

Good to know. You are refueling in the truck pumps at Loves? Or at the car pumps? You are saying a regular card works in the Truck Pumps? That would be great if it did...

I can't recall seeing one truck pump that doesn't require a fleet card. Maybe I never looked at Loves but I'm sure I have.

Refueling in the car lanes because the truck lanes have nozzles too big to fit. We just use regular Visa cards. Never had n issue. When we are far from home the screen will usually ask for our Zip Code. Now I'm in a motorhome, 31.5', so I don't know what it's like pulling a trailer into the car lanes.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I would be ticked off too if I had to leave my cc at the cashier.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Sandy , Oregon
Lightbulb Fueling Diesel at Gas Stations

Quote:

I have never had any issues at a regular gas station with diesel refueling. I use an Amx card which gives me a $100 sale per swipe. I pull a 30" FC with a F350, overall length, 53'. I just check the lane(s) that allows me to make my turns in and out. The only problems I encounter, is being able to see which pumps/lanes have diesel from the road when I pull in. Once in line, folks have always allowed me to get in and out. A smile and a waive to people foes a long way.
carlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Diesel filling woes

I put an aux tank in the bed of my 250, so I can drive about 1,000 miles a day w/o any addn'l fuel and at my age, I'd be lucky to do 400 miles per day. But the short of it is that I drop the coach, unhitch and then go looking for the best deal on fuel. I carry 86 gallons total, but usually don't fill the aux more than 1/2 way which gives me 56 gallons; still enough to do over 600 miles.
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:

I'm sorry that you've had a difficult time. I use my AmEx card for all non PFJ purchases and my Pilot/FJ card for them. Rarely can I find a car or RV diesel pump at "gas" station islands that I can safely maneuver my 50' of GMC & Airstream in and out of. Easier if the pump islands are parallel to the buildings and much riskier if they are perpendicular to the buildings. Once in a while an end island will have an open diesel and I try and spot one as I start to pull in, but mostly I go to the big rig islands with the huge nozzle/high speed delivery. They are smelly, loud, and sometimes backed up...but....

My AmEx card works at the big rig pumps so far (23,000 miles), I have to push diesel screen button so I don't get DEF, and I push the tractor screen button, and start pumping. What I can't get is a paper receipt at these big rig islands, so I go inside, give them my pump number and get a receipt and visit the men's room and wash the diesel off of my hands. I like the smell of diesel, but mama and the cat don't.

Don't pull forward before you get the receipt or someone will come in behind and reset the pump and start up, and your receipt is gone. Have been trapped once when the rig ahead of me pulled forward, I refueled, but he blocked me and got lost and didn't return until after he had been paged twice.

I don't worry about hitting any of the pipe protectors of the pumps when I got to the big rig islands, and I do worry about those, with close calls, at the car diesel islands.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
...I am amazed the only fuel vendor that understands this is Flying J. I have built such a loyalty to them.

I am finding that about 75% of the time the price of diesel at Pilot/FJ is the most expensive diesel for sale at the area truck stops, even after I subtract my PFJ card discount from their cash price. Just drove from Atlanta to Escanaba and back and used my PFJ card once in two weeks, the only time their price with discount was equal to everyone else. Can't figure that out, except for the big rig fleet drivers using company cards, it doesn't matter to them and the PFJ perks, etc may be better if you are driving every day, all day.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Ted S. - I understand your situation, especially with our 2015 F250 that Ford put a 26 gallon tank in. The old f250s used to have 32 gal. tank, but when the 6 gal. DEF tank was added they cut the 32 gal. down to 26. We travel to the Rockies almost yearly from VT, and are lucky to get 300 miles on a tank. When we get to 1/4 tank, we start looking seriously for fuel. We also carry a diesel 5 gal. tank in the capped bed area... just in case. I too have some places where we have to leave a card or pre-pay with a guess. I don't like it, but with a limited size fuel tank, I have to grin and bear it.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post

I'm sorry that you've had a difficult time. I use my AmEx card for all non PFJ purchases and my Pilot/FJ card for them. Rarely can I find a car or RV diesel pump at "gas" station islands that I can safely maneuver my 50' of GMC & Airstream in and out of. Easier if the pump islands are parallel to the buildings and much riskier if they are perpendicular to the buildings. Once in a while an end island will have an open diesel and I try and spot one as I start to pull in, but mostly I go to the big rig islands with the huge nozzle/high speed delivery. They are smelly, loud, and sometimes backed up...but....

My AmEx card works at the big rig pumps so far (23,000 miles), I have to push diesel screen button so I don't get DEF, and I push the tractor screen button, and start pumping. What I can't get is a paper receipt at these big rig islands, so I go inside, give them my pump number and get a receipt and visit the men's room and wash the diesel off of my hands. I like the smell of diesel, but mama and the cat don't.

Don't pull forward before you get the receipt or someone will come in behind and reset the pump and start up, and your receipt is gone. Have been trapped once when the rig ahead of me pulled forward, I refueled, but he blocked me and got lost and didn't return until after he had been paged twice.

I don't worry about hitting any of the pipe protectors of the pumps when I got to the big rig islands, and I do worry about those, with close calls, at the car diesel islands.
Everyone pulls up. These men are at work, and a system developed to accommodate. Some need to pump 140-gals and depart immediately.

With my 63' rig I either pull up or go find a parking spot (pull-up means you'll be there less than 5").

No matter when the fuel was bought a receipt can be retrieved.

Some of the guys I work with use the appropriate app to cache fuel receipts.

When at work I occasionally remember to get the receipt (after a few employers without the requirement ).

As to truckstops themselves:

- Best to always avoid those inside a metro region (75-miles from city center) as usage is high.

- Fuel lane farthest from fuel desk usually cleanest as drivers want to shorten walk; BUT best policy is to choose lane without someone pulled up and parked. Never know how long some of the jerks will take while inside.

- Busiest times are 0600-0900, then 1100-1300 and again from 1800-2000. This is a huge reason to avoid metro locations.

- Just because the stop is under a particular name does not mean it started thus. It's a good idea to check satellite pics.

- The very "best" truckstop will be in the same direction of travel AND across any intersection so that the Interstate ramp is a single acceleration event away.

- The largest truck stops are clustered where Interstates meet. The access roads can be terrible (unless fairly new, such as Effingham, IL).

- I keep gauntlet gloves in my Kenworth sidebox to fuel. Same under pickup truck topper. Even the windshield squeegee handles can be greasy. Keep some Joes Waterless Hand Cleaner & blue shop towels, too.

- Dawn dishwashing detergent with a few drops added to above will get the worst bugs off. It's not about scrubbing, but letting solution soak. (Side glass and mirrors far and away trump windshield for being necessarily clean ).

- It's likelier to get in and out of the truck lanes faster than the car lanes, AND with a greatly reduced risk of being hit. No little kids, no barely moving oldsters, etc. Just avoid metro locations and bad times.

That said, it takes awhile to get used to how big trucks do things. But it's the same all over the country. This can't be said for car lanes.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
I feel your pain. Sometimes we use truck stops and sometimes regular stations, but it's always a challenge for one reason or another. We pull a 34 footer with an F250 crew cab. I have had the card issue at truck stops, but generally good experiences at Flying J, Love's. Good luck.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Drove to Yellowstone and back to Missouri. Hit one Flying J with an RV island the rest were consumer islands but then I have a 25fb. The truck stops always had cash/credit price prices while the regular stations didn't care. The main reason I don't like truck islands are the large nozzles with high flow. Had one that I couldn't use as the pressure was too much and the fuel overflowed even at the lowest setting. Had to leave me card in that one too. Only got 2 gallons in before I gave up. The did credit me the difference.

Sometimes buying diesel is a PITA even though its plentiful.

Kelvin
Old 08-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Micanopy , Florida
One thing that works for us, as there are two of us, is that I leave my better half with the card inside while fueling. That way as soon as fueling is done,it is paid for and the card never leaves her sight. Also gives her time to "unlaod" or p/u munchies for the next leg.
Offack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
Ted S. - I understand your situation, especially with our 2015 F250 that Ford put a 26 gallon tank in. The old f250s used to have 32 gal. tank, but when the 6 gal. DEF tank was added they cut the 32 gal. down to 26. We travel to the Rockies almost yearly from VT, and are lucky to get 300 miles on a tank. When we get to 1/4 tank, we start looking seriously for fuel. We also carry a diesel 5 gal. tank in the capped bed area... just in case. I too have some places where we have to leave a card or pre-pay with a guess. I don't like it, but with a limited size fuel tank, I have to grin and bear it.
We have an 2017 F-250 with a 34 Gal. tank. You have to order it with the 6' bed or longer to be able to get it. Running at 70 Mph it gives us about 390 mile range before needing to refuel.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

I avoid truck stops. For whatever reason their diesel prices are 30 cent higher than I can buy is at a Shell station. You can find many of them with ample room to accommodate RVs and all you do is swipe your credit card and go. There are many suitable alternatives to Pilot and FJ where you can save money and have a much better experience all around. We pull a 30' AS and since February had not pulled into one truck stop. That included traveling from FL to Michigan UP.
Before we got the diesel truck it was always truck stops.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote