Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Speaking of Wyoming:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wyoming_windsock.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	240355  
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Now, that could have been the story line for a John Candy movie. Thanks for sharing. I hope you've kept that one for the family history lessons.
Yes, I know "the story" was a bit off from Airstream towing but reading Ray's post I related to the frustration and disgust of running out of gas nowhere. I imagined pulling the Airstream, running out of gas and looking out on the horizon seeing only sage brush and a few cactus! It is an important consideration, even calculating EXTRA for potential headwind. You may not expect it just like a dead cow on the side of the road but may experience it firsthand.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Another thing to remember if you are figuring range when evacuating a hurricane is the amount of time you may be standing still in traffic jams when trying to get out. Extra fuel is never a poor decision. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I also try to plan our travels around gas stations. I have found that diesel fuel is not readily available at every gas station and almost learnt this the hardway travelling East from Md to Maine. So I have doubled my tank capacity, never go below 1/4 to 1/2 full and will if I think necessary carry an extra 5 gallons in the bed.

I have also found that even if a station has diesel getting in in out with a trailer is not always the easiest thing to do. So when ever possible I look for truck stops to pull into.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you are in desperate need of fuel and can't get into a station there are two alternatives to you. Find a place very close to the station and take your empty fuel can to the station a put the five gallons into your tank might give you enough to get to another gas station. You do carry a can don't you? Another idea is unhook the trailer in a parking lot and drive the tow vehicle to get fuel. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:18 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
I start looking for diesel when I've got about 100 miles of range left. At 50 miles, I really to worry. Sometimes that leads to bad decisions. We were travelling the back roads in Tennessee last year, and I had passed a few stations because they were on the wrong side of the road, or looked hard to get into or out of. But then they suddenly seemed to disappear. The computer said 40 miles of range left when we finally spotted one in a little town. I had to make a left turn into it, and was already halfway in before I noted the steep incline entering the station and the scrape marks on the road. <horrible sound of scraping metal>

And that's how I wound up buying a new bumper for the AS.
kcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Refueling: GASOLINE TANK- Half EMPTY or Half FULL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Another thing to remember if you are figuring range when evacuating a hurricane is the amount of time you may be standing still in traffic jams when trying to get out. Extra fuel is never a poor decision. Jim

That's 3-5/mpg, regardless of vehicle, on average. Trick here is to trip plan well in advance as to alternate routes. RVs are evacuated earlier than others and afterwards not allowed on road due mainly to being tipped over by winds. That ours pretty well won't is beside the point.

Why I addressed this in my earlier post. One needs 150-miles/range to tow. Or probably 50-gls fuel to reach the magic 150 mile point where fuel is again in reasonable supply.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 AM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcollins View Post
I start looking for diesel when I've got about 100 miles of range left. At 50 miles, I really to worry. Sometimes that leads to bad decisions. We were travelling the back roads in Tennessee last year, and I had passed a few stations because they were on the wrong side of the road, or looked hard to get into or out of. But then they suddenly seemed to disappear. The computer said 40 miles of range left when we finally spotted one in a little town. I had to make a left turn into it, and was already halfway in before I noted the steep incline entering the station and the scrape marks on the road. <horrible sound of scraping metal>

And that's how I wound up buying a new bumper for the AS.

Plan fuel stops the day prior. Google maps sat pic. Or, look to the intersections of highways otherwise.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
I've had fuel pumps burn up for not having enough "coolant" in the tank. Chevy 3500.
I too have cooked a fuel pump for want of "coolant" in the tank. !/4 tank and trying to make Omaha. Plenty fuel to get there until the pump fried out. Lost a travel day on a tight schedule and $1k out of pocket for pump, install, and hotel bill.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Some of you folks carry more fuel than my kenworth, at 120 gals fuel, I have been coast to coast in my dodge 6.7 with 34 gal tank, never had any problem running out or buying fuel,
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Some of you folks carry more fuel than my kenworth, at 120 gals fuel, I have been coast to coast in my dodge 6.7 with 34 gal tank, never had any problem running out or buying fuel,

Did you avoid Interstates the entire route?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
When hurricane Katrina hit LA & MS traveling through MS even in north MS for a week or more all credit card machines were out of service and it was cash only.

Extra fuel is always nice but cash also has to be considered in an emergency.

Any one driving anywhere in the US in 1972/73 will remember when gas was in very scarce supply. Spending hours in line waiting for a gas station to open and be limited to a few gallons was a real nightmare.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #33
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
That's what I was thinking. We've gone from FL to NY so far and avoided the interstate about 85% of the way for more enjoyable driving. That also means the stations are further spread out, especially when in the country. This is even more so the case if you're out west.

We experienced this in Utah coming out of the backside of Caynonlands and driving back into Moab. Different vehicle than what we have no, but I remeber looking down and seeing we'd driven 280 miles and that we had 1/8th of a tank left and wondering where the stations were. I pulled over and put one of the 5 gallon cans in. I I know we found gas somewhere around 300 miles or so like 15 mins later, but I do recall the, holly crap there is nothing out here, glad I have 10 extra gallons on the roof feeling.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
As much as I can...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote