Old 10-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Reflections of the first year

One year ago, we bought our Airstream, a 1997, 30’ Limited. Unknowingly, we joined a unique community, and found we owned an icon everybody seems to relate to in some way. So many people want to share how a close relative owned an AS, or how they wanted an AS, or how they admired how they were made or the high quality of workmanship. If anything, our AS is admired everywhere by almost all campers, no matter if they own a Prevost or are homeless living in a brown canvas tent.

Since purchasing the AS we have driven through and visited the following states: NY, PA, OH, IN IL, WI, MN, IA, NE, MO, KS, KY, TN, AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, SD, ND, MT, ID, BC, WA, OR, CA. These states will be added by the time we get back to our Omaha home: NV, UT, WY, CO.

We found our AS to be supremely livable. We didn’t miss the slide-out of our previous SOB. All the systems are the top model. I like having a built in pressure regulator, heat pump, power stabilizers and jacks, windows that open on all 4 sides, Zip Dee awnings, and the list goes on.

Not everything has been rosy, however. On the first day, less than 50 miles from home, we came out of a McDonalds to discover a major crease on a rear curved panel that had just been replace less than a year ago. 100 miles later, construction barrels claimed the middle rafter support for the awning. There was only 6 inches clearance and one barrel was set in a foot. The water pump died in Kalispell, a major leak that wet the carpet between the twin beds showed itself in WA and OR in a two-week continuous rain. A drawer latch and drawer mechanism under the dinette seat gave up the ghost. The black tank cleaner has become a musician (it now hums) rather than cleans. Only the water leak was worrisome in these problems, and that finally has been resolved as well as all the other problems except the singing black tank cleaner.

Someone on Air Forums says, “Nothing tows like an Airstream”, and I think he is right. Our AS is set up with Reese DualCams, Centramatics, and AirSafe Hitch, Hawkshead TPMS and have NEVER had a “white knuckle” moment. We have towed our trailer on the most challenging highways in the West. Southern BC including their #1 rated motorcycle road, highway #101 from Port Townsend, WA to Eureka, Ca, then to Redding, to Sonora, then Highway 49 to Mariposa. Many of these highways, especially highway 49, use the white line on the right as the shoulder. I just hate it when the white line is eroded away.

Most of the time, it is very apparent that I’m pulling an 8500 pound trailer, but truthfully, I’ve had to remind myself on occasion that I am pulling a trailer. With this in mind, I have to be especially careful in wet, slippery situations that might arise with the trailer’s mechanical advantage in curves and slick situations. To repeat, not one “whiteknuckle” situation has been experienced. I sure hope this continues and believe it will as long as I respect the issues of towing.

In summary, living and traveling in our AS has been a supreme life experience on every level. Traveling with and living in our AS is more and greater than we ever expected. I hope we can spend many more years enjoying this lifestyle.

JimW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Olympic NP.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	112528  

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
LaSalle , Michigan
We have been Streaming for 3 Summers now. We have had very similar great memories. This was our first trailer ever. If we couldn't have an Airstream, we weren't interested in any other trailer. We aren't club joiners, but we enjoy being apart of the historic Airstream Family. We attended Airstream Lifes Alumapalooza in Jackson Center this past June. It was a neat experience to be gathered together with a couple hundred people with like interests. Thanks for sharing your love of travelling in an Airstream.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
Thanks for the great post. Part of the fun of Airstreaming is making repairs and maintenance! I would like to know more of your experience with the AirSafe hitch. I just purchased the class 6 for my 27' Safari FB trailer and F-350 DRW tow vehicle. How is the hitch performing? What size trunion/round weight distribution bars are you using?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We also just finished our 3rd year with our A/S. We love it and look forward to many more years of travel as we retire the end of the year. So far we have had no problems with any system in the trailer (except we do think the fresh water sensor if off). Most probelms we have encountered have been operator error. Hope to see you down the road soon. Susan
Old 10-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylesgl View Post
Thanks for the great post. Part of the fun of Airstreaming is making repairs and maintenance! I would like to know more of your experience with the AirSafe hitch. I just purchased the class 6 for my 27' Safari FB trailer and F-350 DRW tow vehicle. How is the hitch performing? What size trunion/round weight distribution bars are you using?

Thanks
lylesgl

I agree, if I didn't have something to work on, I'd go nuts. The AirSafe is everything it is claimed to be. Absolutely no porpoising, noticeably more comfort in the cab. We've given this unit one hell of a workout and the AirSafe has made it much more endurable. That does not mean all bumps and jolts are eliminated, but it seems they are separated, between the trailer and the truck. Following Inland Andy's line of thought, I'm using 600# bars. These bars in combination with the AirSafe seem provide excellent sway control as well as appropriate weight on the front axel for all-around control. I do not like the truck's rear axel under weighted in the ups and downs of rigorous roads due to overly strong bars. The rear wheels need to be solidly planted on the road no matter what the angle of the tv to the trailer.

JIMW

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Thanks for the recap of your first year. I too love the airsafe hitch setup and I know our airstream appreciates it too. You have traveled many of the roads we frequent.. tows like a dream.

Heres to many more trouble free miles..

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote