Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Stillwater (last known) , United States
recycling on the road

File this under rant : I've only been on the road about 11 weeks and am finally getting around to seriously recycling again. The issues are obvious: where to stow things and where to dump them. I was spoiled by Waste Management: they took plastics 1-6, metal and most paper (plastic coated food containers not ) . .

But what burns me is : are RV'rs in parks where there are recycling options total chowder heads? People can't read the LARGE signs on the dumpsters as to what is TRASH and what kind of RECYCLING materials are accepted? I've been in at least three parks in between the east coast and now Malibu where options are there. And basically nobody, nobody is paying attention. . .

If I continue full timing, am I going to get just as moronic? thank you for letting me share.
nick_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It happens all the time here. We have recycle bins here at the office, but whenever I take trash down to the dumpster, I open it up and see all kinds of stuff in there that should be in the bins. Duh.

When we're on trips, I just store it all up in plastic bags in the truck and bring it all home. That's usually easier than trying to locate bins on the road.

Lynn
Old 03-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
+1 on the rant for people who don't pay attention to the containers. It seems any container is suitable for any item - item in hand (trash) - container with opening (glass only) - throw in trash.

I'd like to add to the rant that many locales don't seem to care about recycling. We travel around for weeks sometimes before we encounter a suitable recycling center. We look for recycling centers, we ask for recycling centers, and many just shrug and say "we don't recycle." What gives? I guess the economic part of the equation is missing in some areas. I can understand that in remote parts of the country maybe. But relatively major metro areas are sometimes out of touch.

Lucius
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi Nick

Welcome to the forums. It's good to see more people here from Minnesota.

While a broader discussion of the benefits of recycling could be off topic, I'd like to note that some people question whether the net environmental benefits (except for aluminum) are as great as the conventional wisdom would lead us to believe. These differences of opinion may help explain differences in the enthusiasm for recycling among travelers.

In general we do not separate trash while traveling because we do not have the space to do so and because the availability of recycling, the materials accepted, and the cleaning/separation required, varies widely among campgrounds. We are not in a position to wash empty containers to facilitate recycling if we are without full hookups because water conservation takes precedence.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Tofino , British Columbia
We have the same frustration when on the road. Most of the time we end up bringing our recycling back home. It's a shame there really aren't many receptacles at rest stops and parks. If we are on longer trips we try to find Whole Foods along the way - they usually have a recycling area near the deli.
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
I feel your pain

Last summer we were on the road for 3 months and we are used to separating our trash from recyclables but it was almost impossible to do it on the road......seems as though we must have more trash here in CA and it is imperative that we recycle or we are going to be buried with trash. Guess some parts of the country have more dumping places....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Stillwater (last known) , United States
gee - I struck a nerve! and Jammer: I fully understand the ambivalence here - there are a lot of good arguments for recycling being strictly an exercise in 'feel goodness' in light of the massive volume of crap being generated - which is why the arguments for reduced packaging, etc are to be considered. . .cheers to all. . .and thanks for letting me r a n t
nick_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
In my experience, not that many campgrounds have recycling. This number is growing, though.

We bought a small cloth box (it's perhaps 10"x10" - it's one of those that fits in the cube furniture...it's either this or one very much like it). I put a small trash bag in it, and we use that for recyclables. We have it under the sink, behind the regular trash bag that's mounted on the door. Works great, and now I don't feel guilty for not recycling the cat food cans or my soda cans.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
While boondocking at Quartzsite, AZ in January I noticed an unusual activity: Recycling recycled material. The BLM has several trash and recycle bins throughout the La Posa Long Term Visitor Area. At any given time there are "dumpster divers" going through the bins and collecting aluminum cans. I don't think they were doing it for the environment but for their own green project ($). There is the whole spectrum of society camping in the desert in the winter.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Hi Nick

Welcome to the forums. It's good to see more people here from Minnesota.

While a broader discussion of the benefits of recycling could be off topic, I'd like to note that some people question whether the net environmental benefits (except for aluminum) are as great as the conventional wisdom would lead us to believe. These differences of opinion may help explain differences in the enthusiasm for recycling among travelers.

In general we do not separate trash while traveling because we do not have the space to do so and because the availability of recycling, the materials accepted, and the cleaning/separation required, varies widely among campgrounds. We are not in a position to wash empty containers to facilitate recycling if we are without full hookups because water conservation takes precedence.
Well said!
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Somehow I think the planet will survive if a few cans and bottles don't make it into the recycling bin.
But if you are that concerned about it then you might just have to live with a few bags of stinky trash in your midst untill you get home again.
I quit recycling at home several years ago. My own little way of protesting a whole lot restrictive, petty laws that have been enacted to govern our uses of our own property.
The final straw was when I was chewed out by the MN DNR for mowing down a few cat tails by the edge of the swamp on my land. That was the day I decieded to defy those who think they know everything better than I.
I suggest you have a second look at your priorities and toss a few morsels with a clear conscience.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Recycling for us begins at home before we even leave for a trip. I once was at a submarine base for work and I watched the food supplies going aboard. They stripped everything they could down to the lowest single packaging solution. Cereals were stripped down to the bags as an example. We do the same for camping, this leaves lots of the recyclables at home for our recycle bin and reduces our environmental impact while camping. Plastics are what I feel at the greatest problem, most are put into reusable containers (dish soaps, eggs from the cartons (those are only bought with cardboard packaging anyway) and shampoo) mostly to save space and we buy in bulk so the original containers are large from the stores. Glass items are environmentally neutral but an energy waste in the recycle program when you do not reuse them.

I wandered around a little in our plan, the basic theme is to recycle when you can at home and enjoy the road and do your best then when you can. You cannot make up for what others do so I ignore their waste.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote