Old 08-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Different Take on Ohiopyle State Park Campground

Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Ohiopyle State Park in southwestern PA.

Frank Lloyd Wrights' Fallingwater is near by. There is also whitewater rafting if you are in to that type of thing.
I have a different take on Ohiopyle State Park's Kentuck Campground. The campground is in need of an overhaul. After reading reviews, I realized some of roads in the campground loops were very narrow. I called the office in hope of some guidance before making my reservation. I was directed to look at sites in the Ivy loop. Upon arrival, we discovered the loop at the end of "Ivy" was way too small to negotiate resulting in scraping the side of the trailer with many tree branches and we came dangerously close to tree trunks in making the curve. UGH!!! Many loops have this same problem.

Many sites have no services, but we opted for electric due to the high outside temps. The electric service at our site was suboptimal (111 volts). We learned through trial and error that the sites with 30 amp service all had service at 111 volts or less. Only sites with 50 amp service had voltage at around 120 volts.

The campground does not have water service at each site and the spigots located throughout the loops no longer work. You must trudge to the nearest bath house to fill your water jugs and not all loops have a bath house. The spigots at the bath houses are very low to the ground and your jug may not fit underneath. The bath houses are old and in need of lots of maintenance. Their condition is such it is hard to tell if they are clean or not.

Sites are closer together than they appear on the map on the campground's website. Most sites are wooded. We did end up moving to another site to get better electric performance. Most sites need leveling. The site we ended up moving to sloped front to back and required raising the trailer on many blocks to be able to level front to back.

My impression is this is another public campground that is not being financially supported by the state governments. All of this coupled with a don't care attitude by the kid checking in campers at the office whose only communication was to "bark" the rules at us would put this campground on my "ones to avoid" list.

sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have not stayed at the Ohiopyle campground as I prefer the COE campground in Confluence, which is about 12 miles from there. Like many Federal and State campgrounds some of the sites have electrical, water is not available at each site and the folks re friendly. If you like to bike the rails to trails is right there, 10 miles oneway to Ohiopyle. fishing is available at bse of the dam and you can swim at a roped off area on the lake at the top of the dam.

I chosed not to go there this year as I wanted to try a new location. My choice was the Fingerlakes but now I think we will go to Amish Country in Lancaster County

urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote