Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Recommendtions for Pennsylvania Camp sites.

It looks like our trip to the Finger Lakes will not happen so now I am looking for recommendations for sites in PA. Any suggestions are greatly ppreciated
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
if you haven't been to Lancaster County and want the Amish experience I would suggest Red Run close to Ephrata. Right in the middle of the farms, on a stream, well shaded, and a nice pool. The Lititz chocolate factory, restored Landisvillage, Weavers general store, French Creek State Park, the Green Dragon, shop at The Shady Maple, and if you have kids Lapp's farm at milking time.

If you can arrange it lunch at en Amish farm is the best. That used to be readily available but the state and the Do Gooders got involved several years ago. With some discrete questioning you can still arrange a lunch-in that you will remember.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

You said " camp sites " not " campground "

Might I suggest a festival? You can get tickets online for most of them. They usually always have room. It's cheap. You don't have to think about activities, or entertainment. There are so many to choose from within a few hours drive from you. Some have electric hookups, most have a water source, very few have dumping station or dumping hook ups.

I suggest this because, judging from your other post, I gathered that you were having a tough time getting reservations.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Gettysburg! We've been there numerous times & will go back. The area is full of history & things to do for all age groups. The RV parks are many, we liked the KOA best, have also stayed at Artillery Ridge (closest to the Battlefield) 3 different times & enjoyed our stay. The town square is a great place to walk around, shop, have a cocktail & dinner. Gettysburg is just a fun place.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We discovered the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area a few years ago, marked by Matamoras on the North and Stroudsburg on the South, and it is a beautiful, wooded area.

There is a state forest campground there...no pets .....and a national park campground there...neither of which offer hookups, but there are also some private campgrounds on the periphery.

We stayed at Dingmans, it was fall and absolutely gorgeous.

Maggie
Old 08-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Airstream park

There is a nice little Airstream park at Limestone, PA. It is just south of Clarion. Just a little ways off of the interstate. Tucked into a nice little valley. Friendly folk there too.
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #7

Ormond Beach , Florida
Army Corps of Engineers Park - Raystown Reservoir - Hesston, PA
Dennis7366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
West Chester KOA - close to Chads Ford Wyeth museum, Longwood Gardens, Wintertur, and Philadelphia. In the west partt of the state, Cook Forest SP...nice hikes, river rafting.....
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Penn Wood Airstream Park
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Penn wood is great, we attended the 4th of July rally and had a great time, very friendly place.

Lots to do in Erie, we go at least once a year and stay At the KOA. Meadville KOA is nice but not as much to do near there for us.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Petaluma , California
We have stAyed several times at KOA Battlefield campground at Gettysburg and it is a wonderful site with all the amenities and is very well managed and close to the town and all the battlegrounds. You should definitely go to the visitor center and enjoy the exhibits and film. The town has several nice restaurants too!
Roll-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
North Fort Myers , Florida
Camping in pa

If you were looking for somewhere to go to a big lake to fish consider either kinzua or Raystown Lakes.

Just looking for a cool place and alot of scenery, the Grand Canyon of pennsylvania. Cheap but decent campground within walking distance. It's about 8??' some foot drop to the bottom. So about 9 stories down. Nice trout fishing in that area.

Any questions let me know, I may live in fL now, but camped all pa when I lived up there.
Tim
TLBIJOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Lancaster area, Lake-In Woods campground. We stay there every year for a week in July. Not to crowded, the pool complex is the best we have ever seen and used. Very clean, upscale place, mini golf, restaurant on premises, the store is awesome. Golf cart rental is available. Also close to everything, located in Bowmansville.
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:40 AM   #14
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Ohiopyle State Park in southwestern PA.

Frank Lloyd Wrights' Fallingwater is near by. There is also whitewater rafting if you are in to that type of thing.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Different Take on Ohiopyle State Park Campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Ohiopyle State Park in southwestern PA.

Frank Lloyd Wrights' Fallingwater is near by. There is also whitewater rafting if you are in to that type of thing.
I have a different take on Ohiopyle State Park's Kentuck Campground. The campground is in need of an overhaul. After reading reviews, I realized some of roads in the campground loops were very narrow. I called the office in hope of some guidance before making my reservation. I was directed to look at sites in the Ivy loop. Upon arrival, we discovered the loop at the end of "Ivy" was way too small to negotiate resulting in scraping the side of the trailer with many tree branches and we came dangerously close to tree trunks in making the curve. UGH!!! Many loops have this same problem.

Many sites have no services, but we opted for electric due to the high outside temps. The electric service at our site was suboptimal (111 volts). We learned through trial and error that the sites with 30 amp service all had service at 111 volts or less. Only sites with 50 amp service had voltage at around 120 volts.

The campground does not have water service at each site and the spigots located throughout the loops no longer work. You must trudge to the nearest bath house to fill your water jugs and not all loops have a bath house. The spigots at the bath houses are very low to the ground and your jug may not fit underneath. The bath houses are old and in need of lots of maintenance. Their condition is such it is hard to tell if they are clean or not.

Sites are closer together than they appear on the map on the campground's website. Most sites are wooded. We did end up moving to another site to get better electric performance. Most sites need leveling. The site we ended up moving to sloped front to back and required raising the trailer on many blocks to be able to level front to back.

My impression is this is another public campground that is not being financially supported by the state governments. All of this coupled with a don't care attitude by the kid checking in campers at the office whose only communication was to "bark" the rules at us would put this campground on my "ones to avoid" list.
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have not stayed at the Ohiopyle campground as I prefer the COE campground in Confluence, which is about 12 miles from there. Like many Federal and State campgrounds some of the sites have electrical, water is not available at each site and the folks re friendly. If you like to bike the rails to trails is right there, 10 miles oneway to Ohiopyle. fishing is available at bse of the dam and you can swim at a roped off area on the lake at the top of the dam.

I chosed not to go there this year as I wanted to try a new location. My choice was the Fingerlakes but now I think we will go to Amish Country in Lancaster County
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote