Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lincolnton , North Carolina
Recommendations for West Virginia Camping

OK, guys. I need some assistance with planning a late August trip to West Virgina or Virginia. We are still tent camping (an SUV tent that attaches to the Suburban) so this is essentially an attempt to "beat the heat" with altitude.

We are looking for a scenic destination with flyfishing opportunities, with water and electric available. We are coming from the Charlotte, NC area up I-77.

Thanks.

p.s. The raccoons that came through the campground during last week's camping trip have convinced the Missus that she needs an Airstream......

I promise I didn't organize the raccoons, but I could not have possibly planned it any better!!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Im going to be watching this thread close. There is a chance that I may be doing that area in August myself. I am a perfectly awful flyfisher myself. If I may insert a further couple request without hijacking: boondocking or forest service type CGs and photography oportunities.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello.... Hubby is from West Virginia.... There is a great campground in Paden City, run by the town... right on the Ohio River... very nice and reasonable... we will be camping there in June. Also a nice campground in Marietta Ohio... pm for details... Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers View Post
.. pm for details... Annie
Better yet, post them here so everyone can bennifit, which is the point of a forums after all

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Providing you don't need much in the way of creature comforts - like electricity and running water, I can recommend a few WV destinations.

Tea Creek Campground between Marlinton and Richwood. On the Williams
River and near the legendary Cranberry. Both provide excellent fly fishing opportunities. The Cranberry has a Catch and Release area and a fly fishing only stretch.

Other popular Catch and Release streams include the Elk River below Slaty Fork, WV. Slaty Fork is the location of Snowshoe Mountain Resort. From there it is an easy hop to Cass where you can take a ride on the Cass Scenic Railroad, then tour the Greenbank Radio Astronomy Observatory and then more Catch and Release fun in the Upper Shavers Fork on top of Cheat Mountain

Laurel Fork Wilderness - Laurel Fork Campground. Site of an old CCC camp. Really remote and close to several great trout streams. These include, Laurel Fork, Gandy Fork and Shavers Fork of the Cheat. Also, Little River and the West Fork of the Greenbrier.

For altitude (I should say even more altitude) try the Spruce Knob Lake Campground. If you like a little hike, Seneca Creek here offers great native Rainbow trout. Spruce Knob, about 5 miles above the campground is WV's highest point. Lots of hiking opportunities here.

To the East of Spruce Knob and still in the Spruce Recreation Area is Seneca Rocks and more fishing in the South Branch. There is a campground here as well. Seneca Shadows I believe is the name.

Canaan Valley and Blackwater Falls State Parks round out my list. camping and lodging gets a little more sophisticated here. Fishing is good in the Blackwater River and the Dry Fork at Harman. Red Creek near Harman also has a fly fishing only stretch.

Good luck, have a great time and don't forget your fishing license.

Roger
Old 05-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks for the info. We have looked at Gerald Freeman Camp, Greenbrier, and a couple of others. Not being familiar with where the decent flyfishing is located, what the CG's are like, etc we are "flying blind".

Priorities would be

1) Scenic CG on a stream or river, with electric and water at the camp site
2) Flyfishing opportunities
3) Location for obtaining groceries and supplies
4) Any other area attractions
Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
Breaks Interstate State Park

Breaks Interstate State Park (Breaks Interstate Park: Home) is right on the Virginia/Kentucky border. We stayed there as part of our trip this past weekend and absolutely fell in love with it. It has the deepest gorge east of the Mississippi River.
Great sites as well as great sights. Full hookups with 30 amp service were $17.00 per night. Anything from no hookups to Full Hookups with 50amp service. There is a beautiful lodge, hiking trails, fishing, paddle and boat rentals on the lake. We spoke with a couple of Park Rangers at the Interpretive Center about crowds. The comment was "We never turn anyone away. We might put you in a clearing by the side of the road but we never turn anyone away." He added that the only times the park is that crowded is Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day holiday weeks
The attached pictures were taken on my camera phone during 4 days of torrential rains so they are kind of dark.
We will be making many return trips there in the future. By the way, say 'Hi' to William at the camp store. A really nice local guy.
WARNING, WARNING, WARNING: We relied on our GPS and it took us to the 'Lower Twin CG' off State Rt 611. We made our first HUGE mistake by not looking at a map to validate what the GPS was telling us. When we got to Lower Twin, it had not yet opened for the season so we made a u-turn and got back to Rt 611. Now came our second HUGE mistake. I turned LEFT onto 611 and this became a road that no one pulling a travel trailer should try to negotiate. Extreme hairpin turns rising in elevation by 30-40 feet from the time you entered the turn until you completed it. It was NOT pretty. After this little 2 hour detour, we did make it to the main CG and were well rewarded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	79881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 4.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	79882  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 8.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	79883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 10.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	79884  

2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Stonewall Jackson Lake is about 90 miles north of Charleston on 79, and it's a pretty nice place. You could fly fish there, although most guys probably just use their spinning tackle or zebco.

But, it's already booked all summer on the weekends. Weekdays are open though. They only have about 40 RV spots, but they've got full hookups. I plan to go there myself in early September. Apparently you have to reserve way early to get a weekend. It's a popular place.

The other fellow listed some really nice WV sights; Canaan Valley, Dolly Sods, Blackwater Falls, etc. Cass Scenic Railroad really rocks! There's no campground, but they'll let you stay in their great big parking lot for $10 a night. There are no RV hookups of any kind, but it's a really cool trip to ride a 100 year old Shay locomotive up to the top of the mountain. I took my kids there in October and we had a blast! Greenbank radio observatory is about five miles from there and it's really cool too. You should check that area out if you're coming to WVa.

Montani Semper Liberi!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #9

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...lls-34996.html

We had the chance to do a 7 state/7 day tour that looped thru WV. The hi point was finding a camping area by calling the city office of a town and getting their input on where to camp.

Beautiful area, the roads were kinda rough but the folks were great!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
waynesboro , Virginia
My picks include, Canaan Valley, Tea Creek, The Cranberry Glades and Sherwood Lake....
Old 05-08-2009, 04:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
We grew up in North Central WV and tent camped almost every state park there. This was our all time favorite. For you - I77 to I79 at Charleston. I79 north to Flat Woods exit and up across the mountain to the park.

Holly River State Park - West Virginia State Parks
Old 05-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks. We had heard some good things about Holly River. Gerald Freeman seems to either be new or "off the beaten path". Not much info about it.

Thanks so much for all the input.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Accommodations of Holly River State Park

One thing that is just annoying as all get out is this "fill out the paper application and mail it in" method that is used in West Virginia. This is 2009!

See, I can knock WV because I grew up in the boonies of the Western NC mountains, where they "had to pipe in sunshine". That said, even Davidson River lets you make reservations ONLINE..........
Old 05-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Watoga S.P. is a very nice park, Babcock S.P. is nice. These are in Southern W.V. For altitude that Suggestion of Dolly Sods can't be beat, might be a little primetive for the missus though. Blackwater Falls S.P. and the whole surrounding area including other state parks is real nice. Check into Bluestone Lake S.P. These are only a few but there are many great state parks in West Virginia. Some even have Cival War historical sites nearby.