Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Recommendations for Phoenix and Tucson

We're planning a trip to Arizona in December and January and would appreciate any recommendations for RV parks in the Phoenix and Tucson areas that our members would recommend. Our current plans are to stay in the Phoenix area in December and Tucson in January and possibly February.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you like a "further out" place in the Phoenix area, the park I stay at (mobile and RV sections) is very good in my opinion. Large spaces so you are not jammed in, some social but not something going on all the time, no pool, so lower costs. About 16 miles south of Apache Junction, (and only 80 miles from Tucson area). The first year I was there I took my 310, but then purchased a Mobile in the park, and have had 5 more good years there.

Skyline Resort
5295 E. Skyline Drive
San Tan Valley, AZ

Skyline RV Resort Queen Creek Arizona

480 987 5476
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, we were talking to some of our summer guests here a few weeks ago. Their recommendation for the desert near Tucson was De Anza RV Park. I really don't know anything more about the place, though.

Lynn
Old 09-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There are several very nice state/regional parks in Phoenix. Cave Creek Regional Park is on the far north side, just north of the Carefree Highway and 32nd Street; another is in the far west valley in the White Tank Mountains, and a third is just outside of town in the far northwest at Lake Pleasant. Otherwise, there are many RV resorts with full hookups, mostly on the far east side near Apache Junction. I have driven through all three regional parks and frequently camp weekends at Lake Pleasant; however, since we live in Phoenix, I have never stayed at any of the RV resorts.

We have visited one RV Resort in Mesa, to attend a free band concert. The resort sponsors a community organized concert band that is excellent. I'm not sure of the exact size, but I'd estimate that there are 40-50 band members. If you decide to stay in the Mesa/Apache Junction area, check out this RV resort's activity calendar to see if there is a holiday concert when you are here. Note: They pass the hat at the end of the concert, but it's well worth whatever you donate to help with their expenses. This resort looks like a retirement village, but they have a few transient spaces for overnighters. We weren't checking out the camping facilities, but it was very clean, secure and everyone was very friendly. Also, they have a golf course.

In Tucson, we used to stay at Beaudry's RV Resort, which was very secure and nicely laid out. Beaudry's was in bankruptcy this past year and was sold to Lazydays RV Campground, which is scheduled to open this month. It should be open by December. This resort had full hookups, showers, two swimming pools, a restaurant on-site, and it is located just off of I-10 on the south side of Tucson. Also, there is a Camping World within rock throwing distance from the entrance. We look forward to it opening again, as we miss staying here when we visit friends in Tucson.

There are several state/regional parks in Tucson, too. If you want to be near Old Tucson and the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, check out Gilbert Ray Campground on the west side. If you are visiting people on the north side of town, Catalina State Park is in the foothills on the north side of the mountains that border Tucson to the east. It is almost in town and very close to shopping, restaurants, etc. Plus, there's a Costco with gas, hotdogs and pizza within a mile or two of the park. This is a great place to experience desert camping, and still be within a couple of minutes of all the services in town.

Phoenix:
Cave Creek Regional Park -- Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County
White Tank Regional Park -- Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County
Lake Pleasant Regional Park -- Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County
View Point RV Resort (free band concert) -- RV Space Fees at ViewPoint RV Resort - Mesa Arizona

Tucson:
Catalina State Park, Tucson -- Arizona State Parks: Catalina: Home
Gilbert Ray Campground, Tucson -- NRPR - Gilbert Ray Campground
Lazydays RV Resort, Tucson -- Lazydays Starts a New Chapter with Expansion to Tucson, AZ
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good info, folks - we may head that direction after Balloon Fiesta (provided the weather is not too hot). Otherwise we may head up to Santa Fe or Angel Fire.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
If you want a little more funk and the best deep desert, Organ Pipe National Monument has dry camping (water and dump are on site) with all pull throughs. We stay at Shadow Ridge park in Ajo from November on. It's full hook and a nice bunch of snowbirds.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We have stayed probably 7 or 8 times at the Rincon Country West RV Park in Tucson.

It isn't for everyone, it is a 55+ park that has a ton of activities, fantastic facilities, and generally a very friendly place.

The grounds are immaculate. I would say that the place is probably two thrds to three quarters park models, but sites for "itinerants" such as us are for teh most part all located together.

We will be going back for sure, although thos winter we will likely go to Florida for a change.

Brian.

PS the Park is owned by an ex pat Irishman - George O'leary. He has two parks in Tucson, Rincon Country Easy and West, we have only stayed at the west park, but both get excellent reviews in any RV directory - and for good reason IMHO.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
the Park is owned by an ex pat Irishman - George O'leary.
Wonder if we get a "same name" discount? Thanks for the advice.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
We've stayed at Deserts Edge Rv Village (The Purple Park) and Desert Shadows RV Resort. Both ar just off I-17 on the North side of Phoenix.

They have daily, weekly and monthly rates. They don't have trailer trash and they are well run. I think they both have a 10 year rule, but since our Airstream looks like new, they have never turned us down.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Many thanks for all of you who made recommendations for Arizona destination campgrounds--they are very much appreciated. We are in the process of finalizing our plans. I will report back when we have made the trip to report on our experiences.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Lake Roosevelt. Lot's of space, beautiful scenery, small town (Miami) for supplies, a couple of cool things to see right there like the Roosevelt dam and two cliffside Havasupai houses, not to mention the Apache trail (don't take the AS on that road).
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Can You Recomend a Specific Campground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Lake Roosevelt. Lot's of space, beautiful scenery, small town (Miami) for supplies, a couple of cool things to see right there like the Roosevelt dam and two cliffside Havasupai houses, not to mention the Apache trail (don't take the AS on that road).
We love Lake Roosevelt, but we never found a campground that look accessible to a 31' Airstream. Where is the campground(s) you recommend?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Check here:
http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southwst/tontcmp.htm
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
...<snip>....

Phoenix:
Cave Creek Regional Park -- Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County
White Tank Regional Park -- Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County
Lake Pleasant Regional Park -- Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County
View Point RV Resort (free band concert) -- RV Space Fees at ViewPoint RV Resort - Mesa Arizona

Tucson:
Catalina State Park, Tucson -- Arizona State Parks: Catalina: Home
Gilbert Ray Campground, Tucson -- NRPR - Gilbert Ray Campground
Lazydays RV Resort, Tucson -- Lazydays Starts a New Chapter with Expansion to Tucson, AZ
Good rundown, Phoenix... I can verify that the campground at Lazydays (formerly Beaudry's) is now open for business. We went to the grand opening last Saturday. Nice place, clean, lots of amenities, and they seem very eager to please. I also can recommend Gilbert Ray...we love that campground. No showers, though...water available but not at each site...has a dump station. It's close enough to town to do make a trip without effort...yet far enough out of town to really feel like you're in the desert...and it's a great part of the desert. Inside the Tucson Mt Park, close to Old Tucson, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and Saguaro National Monument West. Catalina State Park is good, too...very close to town but it can be VERY busy in the winter...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Phoenix's summary is 90% complete and summarizes the best places to stay.
The only thing I would add is McDowell Mountain Regional Park near Fountain Hills, which is near Scottsdale in the Phoenix Metropolitan area.
Campsites have water and electric and the park itself contains thousands of acres of scenic desert. We mountain bike and the trails are world class. The location is great, near Fountain Hills and Scottsdale.
The park is popular and it is likely you will spend a couple of days in overflow before getting a campsite.
Maximum stay is two weeks but you can go back to overflow and start over.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote