Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
recommend great spot in SW GA or ATL?

I'm headed back to GA (just north of Albany) to pick up our Airstream I left in the woods. I live in Tampa and my wife and I are looking for some good spots to camp 1 or 2 nights along the way. We're looking for scenic stuff and dog friendly as they travel with us. Could be a natural wonder or a fun tourist trap! Anybody have any recommendations? Thanks!!
kstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Yes! This ia a find! I was just there earlier today looking for a decent place to put in for kayaks. This is a WAY COOL camping ground, and I can assure you I would not have found it except to have actually been there.

It is owned by Georgia Power and run by some guy who runs the campground. It is pristine. Water and electric each site, common dumping. On Lake Harding, part of Chattahootchee River.

Campground: Blanton Creeek Park (706)-643-7737

Each of the roughly 50 sites is reservable, but all are first come first served. The location is (roughly) Hamilton, GA. Think Columbus, GA - order of magnitude. Must say - very nice!

PS: Should you happen to end up here, you are a 5 minute (or less) ride from Harpers' Pub, where believe it or not you will get a steak that in my humble opinion will beat Ruth's Chris, Morton's or Chops. At about a 1/3 the price. PM me and I will fill you in...
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Upon further map inspection, I may have been overzealous. My comments and suggestions remain, though! Anyone close to or traveling near Columbus, GA take note of my last note.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
Wow, that looks like great fun! My Sis and her husband use to live in Columbus for a short while. I've been to Callaway Gardens but completely forgot about it. My wife would love it! Especially the butterfly conservatory. You definitely peaked my interest with that steak too! Thanks for the tip nilesrob!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
If you are thinking Calloway Gardens, it is hard to beat Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park. Located close to one of the main entrances to Calloway and the bath houses have recently been renovated. There is a lake with catch-n-release fishing, horse back riding near by. All of the sites are wooded and have elect. and water. There are gray water dumps throughout the campground and a common black water dump station. We've stayed there three times. It is also near the FDR museum and hospital where FDR "took the waters" of the natural springs. There is also a neat animal park nearby, too.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Here's a little more on directions. Like I said, you would probably not find this campground without help. If you Google Earth this location you can see it at a high level.

On a map find where I-185 crosses GA 116. By the way, Hunters Pub is at this intersection. You'll know it - it is the only building in a mile, but you'll look at it and think it is an abandoned shack. It is a shack - it's just not abandoned. Go with a good appetite - try the fried lobster tails, NY Strip, peanut butter something for dessert.

GA 116 becomes GA 103 - follow 103 west for a few (4-5?) miles, and take what I think is the first road on the left. In about a 1/4 mile this road connects you to Lick Skillet Road, turn left on Lick Skillet and follow it a mile or so, campground (Blanton Creek Park) will be on your right. This really looks like an awesome campground - very secluded, right on the lake, very tranquil.

To go to Calloway, just retrace your steps, go under 185 (don't get on) and follow 116 into Hamilton. Turn left at the lights and follow 27 about 8 miles to Calloway.

Don't forget there is also FDR State Park, which is basically in Pine Mountain, GA - real close to Calloway Gardens. Great camping, hiking - we've stayed there 100 times.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
Thanks for all of the tips! We leave tomorrow and are making reservations (where possible) today! Both FDR state park and Blanton Creek seem close to one another. all things considered which one would you pick?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Kangaroo Conservation Center

If you find yourself in the area of Dawsonville, check out the Kangaroo Conservation Center Kangaroo Conservation Center We had a wonderful visit there a few years ago, it was very cool Pricey, but we felt it worth it. I believe you can bring a picnic to enjoy on the grounds.

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
And while in Pine Mountain, for the more sophisticated tastes, there's the ever popular Wild Mountain Safari - an absolute hoot. Buy plenty of food at the entrance - and close your sunroof. All animals indigenous to the area. Not.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
I would suggest you hit the panhandle on the way down and head down the coast from there.

I would hit St. Josephs state park Main Page - T.H. Stone Memorial St. Joseph Peninsula State Park » Florida State Parks and then somewhere around Cedar Key or Cyrstal Spings Main Page - Cedar Key Scrub State Reserve » Florida State Parks
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
We're back. Thanks to everyone for helping to make a successful trip! We decided to stay at FD Roosevelt State Park. I highly recommend it! The people of Pine Mountain are so kind! We rode horses, hiked, biked to Callaway Gardens and just had the best time. The dogs loved it too. Check out my photo gallery for trip pics! Thanks again!!
Old 05-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Glad you enjoyed! FDR is one of our favorites, and we love Pine Mountain and the area. Hope you can get back to the area again!