Old 08-04-2005, 09:05 AM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Oh, and after all that work! What a disaster!

No surprise the truck looks fine, there's nothing there to hit except a nice soft cusion of aluminum. I see the truck's bumper did get bent up where it encountered the trailers frame.

Sorry for your trailer, but I'm glad you're all ok!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California

The wide blue stripe on the Excella's is really an 18 wheeler magnet.

Sucks em into the back end of the trailer.

Damage like that can easily be repaired, but the shop that does it better know how, before they start.

The rear ended model in our website, was converted by us into a custom "on site" race horse "jockey" uniform and "horse" blanket shop.

The owners travel, to this day, to horse race tracks, plug the trailer into city power, turn on the exterior flashing lights and their in business fabricating custom jockey uniforms and customized blankets for the horses.

The real problem, in your case, is that the trailer will probably be totalled out by the insurance company.

Buy it back, and you have a nice project, or take it to a shop that has proved they can rebuild it.

The cost to rebuild rear end damage, such as your Excella has, is less for a center bath model than a rear bath model.

If your crystal ball was up to the task, it could have warned you of the up and coming problem, so that you could have entered our X-STREAM MAKEOVER contest.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Joe, that's just awful - I actually feel sick looking at these pictures (I'm sure nothing compared to what you're feeling!) Glad nobody was hurt, and good luck dealing with all of this.

Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:18 AM   #19
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois

I'm glad that you are all OK. I can only imagine what the impact might have done had the AS NOT been attached to your vehicle.

Like a bunch of others on this forum, you've put a ton of time, money and effort in your restoration project. I chickened out and bought new.

And seeing the photos....that just makes it all the more sad.

I hope that the dust settles quickly, that you remain devoted to Airstream and continue your alumminum pursuits.

Throwing up now....

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #20
Remember Burma Shave!
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , S.Florida
Rivet Follow up ...

Deepest sympathy for you loss ... & pleased that no one was injured.

I personally, and others on this Fourm, will be very interested in who you are insured with, what type of policy (ACV or agreed value), and how quickly they handle the claim and your indemnification.

Godspeed on a speedy recovery.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
This really sucks, sorry.
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master
1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That really sucks!!!

That reminds me that I need to insure my 72 Sovereign. I've already invested $5,000 in it and will put in another $4,000 soon for new axles, wheel wells, and a Zip Dee Awning.
1958 Overlander
2011 Wolf Creek 850N TC
2011 Ford F-250 Crewcab (6.2L), 3.73RE

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:59 AM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Joe, I just reviewed the thread with your pictures and hopefully those to your insurance company will give you a much better settlement than what a typical '87 would bring. Like everyone else we really understand the pain from this situation. Good luck.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Question Fix It Dear!

I just read this whole thread. It may be "totalled" from an insurance agent's point of view but assuming you get a fair settlement, what you've done with the rest of it would justify fixing it.

Andy's post points out that being mid-bath makes it simpler and less expensive to do. I'd hope you could salvage the curtains, bedspread and other coordinating features such as drawer pulls, etc. It's almost a pity you didn't leave it in CA where Andy's crew could have done the structural stuff. It really looks okay beyond the rear segments.

I to want to extend my sincere sympathy to you and your family. I'm also glad no one was hurt. This is one of the reasons I prefer to travel the path less trodden. I just dread tailgaters... and seem to attract them too. The worst part is that without a backup camera and on a straight road you know they are tailgating because you lose them in your rear view mirrors.

Hmmm.... Here's an idea. High pressure mascerator pump with a "rear discharge" hose just below the rear window, and a remote switch in the cab of the Suburban. Tailgater? Fire for effect! Terminate with extreme prejudice! Or maybe just a hydraulic lift on the bumper storage and a proximity warning system... The gate lifts up, and six small "backfire missiles" point at the tailgater. (Didn't I just see something like this on American Choppers?)

A dear friend of mine had a barely street legal muscle car that poured about half of it's unburned fuel out of the exhaust pipes. He actually rigged up two spark plugs in the pipes that he could fire off with a switch - and put a 10 foot flame out the back of the car. Looked very impressive from a distance, and scared the poo out of a tailgater or two.

Years ago I rode a motorcycle and at that time women riders were a rarity. I got tailgated a lot by the curious. I ended up painting chunks of styrofoam red to look like bricks and bungied them on the back of my seat. Just pulling one out and waving it caused people to back off quickly and stay far, far back. I never tossed it, but people got the hint.

Keep us up to date on what you plan to do.

Tin Liz
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #25
We can tow it!
1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Question Sorry you had to go through that...

Barking Spider, so sorry you and the family had to go through that experience. Good luck with the resolution of the situation. I know what Tin Liz means about tailgaters too..had a Jeep drafting on us from PA to MI, very disconcerting, we noticed because they changed lanes when we did and were very close until we exited.
Best wishes.
Steph in MI Air# 6996-
I Hockeytown USA!!
tin sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
What a horrible way to start a trip. My prayers are with you.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
I recommend taking your airstream to the factory at Jackson Center for repairs. Airstream just repaired mine and I was very happy with the work they did. My Airstream looks brand new. You are a lot farther from the factory than I am, but it looks like your trailer needs pretty major repair work.

Good luck.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Extra Stop Lights

Originally Posted by tin sista
Barking Spider, so sorry you and the family had to go through that experience. Good luck with the resolution of the situation. I know what Tin Liz means about tailgaters too..had a Jeep drafting on us from PA to MI, very disconcerting, we noticed because they changed lanes when we did and were very close until we exited.
Best wishes.
That reminds me I need to install those extra sets of stop lights on the 59. One set of 7" LED will work off a switch in the cab to back off the jerks. I do like the mascerator pump idea. Since I will have three I may be able to give that one a go. A couple DC values and a remote key fob setup should do it. I'll really would like the missles best.

Good you have the AS to protect you and your's.

Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote