Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rear Camera--Wireless or wired?

We are still newbies with our 28Ft Excella Classic and haven't gone many miles as yet. My husband is very experienced with pulling trailers with his 22ft Ford 350 4X4 so the backing up and actual driving are not problems. His greatest stress (so far) is not being able to see behind the trailer on the highway. (Over 50 ft of truck plus trailer.) We have decided to get a camera for seeing behind the trailer for driving but don't really know where to begin to look and what to look for. Do you all have one? What type/brand, wired/wireless, recommendations/experiences do you more expert folks have?
Thank you all for all the interesting and helpful threads, Gillpine
Gillpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Here is a thread that is a good start in your research.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ras-83497.html

Many like the Voyager system

http://www.rvcams.com/p/14/WVOS511.html

Kelvin
Old 11-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Gillpine,

My company sells a wireless rearview camera system that uses your smartphone...either iPhone or Android...to see what's behind while driving or backing. We have a 5 star Amazon ranking and many satisfied customers.

If you have a smartphone and think such a system will meet your needs, you can check out our's by clicking on the company name link shown below my name.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I've also been thinking about a rear camera, but I'm reluctant to drill holes & trying to fish wires in & behind the aluminum. Two mounting screws I'm ok with. So, does anyone know of a camera that's battery operated that also has a monitor for the TV.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Advance , North Carolina
We have Fred's (acstokes) wireless RV Rearview Camera System and found it to be fabulous. Because it uses your smart phone, there is not yet another monitor cluttering your dashboard (we have a TPMS and a GPS already, so the phone serves as a monitor and a phone). It is a bit daunting to drill/expand a hole in your trailer under the clearance light for the cables and put in three self tapping screws, but not having to run wires between the TV and trailer is wonderful. We spliced into the center running light so it runs on 12v. Works great!
WBCCI #5027
TinCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
When I first got a backup camera, several years ago, there was concern about interference with other Bluetooth devices, so I got a wired system. My most recent system is all wireless. I have Bluetooth phone, audio, trailer rear view, and truck hitch camera, all of which could potentially be operating at the same time, although I don't think all of them have actually been operated at the same time. For sure, the trailer rear view, audio, and phone have operated at the same time, and I haven't had any interference, so evidently they have licked that problem. The truck backup camera only operates when the truck is in reverse, but the trailer rear view operates all the time. That suits me, because the trailer rear view camera helps both when backing up the trailer and also as sort of a rear view mirror when I'm on the road, and the trailer is blocking my truck rear view mirror.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Ok - a bit low rent. $300 wireless backup system. Purchased a suction cup mount for a GOPRO camera and mounted it on the inside of the rear window. Camera cable passes through the screen at the top of the window support arm slot. The transmitter is mounted inside the coach with clamps and the power for the camera is provided through a cigarette lighter plug on a jump start battery pack. New power packs are much smaller and easier to find a storage location, but they all need to be recharged. We store ours in a plastic storage box in the shower. This system was easy to install and not terribly expensive. It works poorly at night due to reflected light and early in the morning due to condensation on the rear window. The Voyager may be our replacement when we spring for an upgrade, but the priority is a bit low on the list. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I built one "70's stereo style" by buying individual components from eBay. I got a small outdoor camera, a wireless video transmitter & receiver, and an in car screen. All of these basic components came with two or three wires leading out of them with the insulation cut back on each wire - basic, cheap, nothing more. I had no idea if it would work given the transmitter is quite literally encased in aluminum and located at the very back of the trailer. I did pay a person to wire it to the electricity on the trailer so it comes on only when the running lights are on. I wired up the receiver and the screen and plugged them into the car, turned on the running lights and I had a rear view camera system all for about $80.

I was also concerned about drilling holes, which if the system did not work, would be there with no use. My (Airstream fanatic) mechanic fully understood and he just made the existing hole for the license plate light wire bigger and we were good to go. I will say that the wireless system does get interference periodically when there is a transmitter close by that uses the same frequency. This, of course, happens most often in cities where you need the camera for lane changes the most but so far the image on the screen recovers pretty quickly.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
We had the dealer install the Voyager camera system before we picked up our AS earlier this year - this has been an awesome addition!

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Both options are good.
Wireless: Get the voyager. It has sufficient range/distance to see the picture clearly on the monitor in the truck cab. Other less expensive wireless cameras don't have sufficient range and the picture comes and goes.
Wired: Constant high quality picture, but one extra plug/wire harness to plug and unplug every time. Not really a big deal, though, if it works great.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I also have Fred's system and it works great. I mounted the camera inside looking out the rear window- so no holes in the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
North Richland Hills , Texas
I also have the Voyager that AS factory installed. Works great and it's wired to the center top running light for power. I just turn on my lights and it has power. Good for night or day running and a great monitor picture quality with sound. The wife can talk to me through the camera mic when she's in the back. Well worth the cost and easy for most individuals to install now that I've seen how they do it with one little hole to get the running light hot wire.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
get the Voyager and it will do exactly what you want. Not only wonderful for backing in to tight spots but you can hear directions. You see directly behind the bumper. Awsome product. Nore inportantly you can monitor traffic that is behind you on the road , out if view of the best mirrors on the highway. The best safety item I have purchased to date. In the Hitch, Tires and Tow Vehicke discussion world, this is where you should spend a few bucks. IMHO
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I tried the Voyager and other wireless backup systems with our AS, but had marginal success. The problems I had were picture static, losing sync between the monitor and the camera in cities around traffic signals, and delays in displaying the picture. I returned the first unit as defective, but the replacement had the same issues. I do tow with a long bed crew cab and usually an ATV in the bed, so maybe the distance and all that metal in the bed of the truck was my problem.

I then purchased a hard-wired system by REAR-VIEW-SYSTEMS(RVS) through Costco for about $250. It took about 4+ hours to install. Ran the cable through an existing hole in the firewall of my tow vehicle, and tie-warped the cable under the AS and mounted the camera on the rear bumper. The RVS setup includes quick disconnect cables between the tow vehicle and the AS.

The system works great!! sharp picture, no static, and great not only for backing into a camp spot, but also as a rear-view-mirror when on the road!!

The install in not for everyone, as you have to do a lot of crawling around under the Tow vehicle routing the cable, I had to dismantle part of the dash to get the cable to the center console, and you need to run a power wire to the proper place on the fuse block. I used cable mounting clips and sheetmetal screws under the AS, as well as tie-warping the cable to exposed frame and other items under the AS.
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Bend , Oregon
acstokes... I like your system, but would prefer a smaller, more discreet camera. Are there any options?
RJohansJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:03 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Robert,

Sorry, but we've tested many cameras and found the one we use to work the best and be the best quality at a reasonable price. I understand and appreciate that smaller may be less noticeable, but unless a camera is of high quality construction and can deliver a high quality image it's a waste of money. We believe ours is the best quality and best value on the RV market.

Thanks for your interest in our system.
WBCCI #2810
Old 09-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
Robert,

Sorry, but we've tested many cameras and found the one we use to work the best and be the best quality at a reasonable price. I understand and appreciate that smaller may be less noticeable, but unless a camera is of high quality construction and can deliver a high quality image it's a waste of money. We believe ours is the best quality and best value on the RV market.

I can't see the link to your website on my phone. Can you put it in a reply please?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Quote:
I can't see the link to your website on my phone. Can you put it in a reply please?
Tom,

Click on the RV Rearview Camera Systems, LLC link below my name and you will be taken to our website.

WBCCI #2810