Old 05-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Random happenings on the road and a reason to be happy...

Really long post - apologies in advance...

DW and I have been planning this weekend for quite some time. Basic plan - camp near a couple of great concerts we were psyched to see and head home. Easy, right? Seems like if it could have gone wrong, it did...here's a sample....

- had tix for 2 shows at a venue (Daryl's Backyard - an addition to Daryl Hall's restaurant Daryl's House) which for some reason didn't get the permit to host the shows so they are moved 90 minutes (each way) from the campsite we reserved to be 15 minutes from the original venue (shows were Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings and Todd Rundgren)

- Pedal on Dometic 310 fails on Sunday (Memorial Day Weekend Sunday). It allows water in to the bowl but is physically disconnected from the ball flap. I shut off water to toilet, rubber gloved up, closed the flap, held back a vom, poured a couple cups of water in the bowl and shut the lid. Manual says you can't fix the pedal or take it apart. Probably need a new toilet. This means I'll also lose the $40 wooden slow-close seat I installed last season with its plastic bolts you break after seating in place.

- Site's sewer was basically uphill and didn't have a threaded entry point. Yes - I had a minor Robin Williams moment. I can't talk about it.

- DW is enlisted to hold end tightly while I struggle to lift 25' full of stuffed hose above my head to overcome the vacuum created by the uphill climb. About 10 pairs of rubber gloves are spent on the project.

- Finally hitched up and getting ready to apply WD on my hitch (ProPride) - I'm distracted to the point I am apparently trying to LOOSEN the WD Jack (which was already touching the frame) instead of TIGHTENING it to raise it. Of course I'm using a high torque 18V drill and SNAP! Roll pin split in 3 places.

- Local hardware stores being closed, I call "Good" Sam with whom I have (soon to be HAD) road coverage. I'm well aware it's Memorial Day and any help would be appreciated. I explain my situation and the need for someone to just show up with an assortment of Roll Pins - I can do the repair myself (thanks to my friend Bruce who taught me how to do this when I busted one with an impact drill).

- Waited 15 minutes for them to connect with someone willing to come out. The good news - "Good" Sam will cover the service call. What this means, I'm not sure, however. I'm apparently responsible for labor, materials, transportation, etc., which starts with a quote of $90 for tolls (where the hell is this guy coming from?), labor at $245/hr, minimum 2 hour charge - and before I could get to the anticipated $50 parts charge for the 50 cent roll pin, I said I'd find another way. Thankfully, one of the staff there offered to help - he didn't have any roll pins but sawed down a nail to use on a temporary basis which did the trick to send us on our way (and yes, I tipped him very well - though not to the tune of the $600+ I was being quoted by "Good" Sam).

Oh - both shows were terrific, we biked an amazing walkway in Poughkeepsie some 200' above the river, we enjoyed a fire (despite the 90* weather) and sang songs together accompanied by DW on the Suekelele, we took in the FDR museum and house tour in Hyde Park, enjoyed a great brunch at Daryl's House (despite the failed concert attempt), picked up some fantastic local maple syrup aged in a whisky barrel and bought an awesome picnic backpack kit for future outings.

Overall - still beats a day in the office.

And on a more serious note - thanks to all those families who made the ultimate sacrifice so we have the freedom to enjoy, among other things, the ups and downs of camping and this whacky life we are so fortunate to live in the USA.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I suppose that, in addition to letting your Good Sam Roadside Assistance lapse, you'll also stock some spare roll pins in your tool kit from now on…

But anyway… You, sir, are living proof of my assertion that, "The difference between a disaster and an adventure is how you tell the story when it's over." Sounds to me like you had a fine adventure.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Ditto.

Great time and story.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Maitland , Florida
I agree, great adventure and says a lot about your good nature. I would probably have skipped the fire if my day were quite as adventurous! And yes, we are indeed fortunate.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Sometimes trips just go south...one thing leads to another and before you know it you have little to show for it but a big bill of some kind and and opportunity lost ...at least for the time being.

Hang in there, try to keep a sense of humor and know that you will have a better trip next time, plus you now have a great story to tell around the campfire!

And you're right...on the worse day it's better than a day in the office.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I suppose that, in addition to letting your Good Sam Roadside Assistance lapse, you'll also stock some spare roll pins in your tool kit from now on…

But anyway… You, sir, are living proof of my assertion that, "The difference between a disaster and an adventure is how you tell the story when it's over." Sounds to me like you had a fine adventure.

Yes - the plan is to stock a half dozen in my tool box and a few that are one size smaller to pound out the broken portion that remains in the channel.

Adventure was a good word for it! 😀
Old 05-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmyWeather View Post
I agree, great adventure and says a lot about your good nature. I would probably have skipped the fire if my day were quite as adventurous! And yes, we are indeed fortunate.

Well - to be clear, my "good nature" primarily appeared after the fact. It's therapeutic to write the story later but I have to be honest - as John Pinette used to say - "I lost my cherub-like demeanor" several times over the weekend...the real trick is to get through it without being a jerk...I need more practice. 😕
Old 05-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Well in that case, we enjoyed Arstream Adventures in East Durham, NY this weekend. 93 degrees out and my fridge on electric hits 60'! Ok, done with thT food. i switch to gas only and get it back down to 40 by morning. We were worki g a festival and were on venue with 110 power. We left fan on, opened all windows as fR as posible to get air. Then the torrential raupins came along with flash flooding, a booth two aisles over was struck by lightening. We finally get to trailer and what a sopping mess, water over tires, mud everywhere, cushions wet, you name it. But, today isanother day, bright and synny, we got out if mud in first try, made to safe home to clean everything, we leave agAin Thursday to camp at Floyd Bennett Field, NY. Festival in FR Rockaway
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Oh man - sorry to hear that, Sbb - isn't yours the Eirestream?? Glad you weren't hit by lightning (and certainly hope that group is ok). Hopefully the clean up is easy and things are all good!!
Old 05-31-2016, 05:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When we had difficult days, or series of events, we used to say....

"It's a test...to see how much we can handle".

And I still say this. Ya pull yourself together, and go on.

Good for you for maintaining a positive attitude.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	263591  
Old 05-31-2016, 05:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well said Maggie! After major surgery last year, it is a blessing to take a fresh breath of air in the morning.

Keep breathing . . .

Old 05-31-2016, 06:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Well told story.

Which show did you like the best and why?

Funny, we both like Todd. Our 24 year old (who generally likes everything old and new) thinks he sounds like Carole King/Carly Simon. Which we find pretty funny.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes the Walkway Over The Hudson is pretty amazing.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Well told story.

Which show did you like the best and why?

Funny, we both like Todd. Our 24 year old (who generally likes everything old and new) thinks he sounds like Carole King/Carly Simon. Which we find pretty funny.

Thanks.

This may sound cheesy but I liked them both for very different reasons.

Sharon and the Dap Kings felt like a 60s soul revival. I get hints of that from Bruno Mars (though he's definitely more modern and a good imitation - but she's really coming from that place personally I think). She's been undergoing chemo treatments and on a couple of occasions her voice was slightly weak in the upper register so you knew something was going on but man she left absolutely everything on the stage. The band is tops too - gotta love horns...

Todd - let me be honest - I might know a dozen of his tunes. He played for over 2 hours non stop and every song was amazing! Incredible depth of lyrics, some of the chewiest and tastiest chord progressions and harmonies ever and at 67 hasn't really skipped a beat (though his upper register isn't what it used to be either - then again, that's true for pretty much everyone...). I was desperately waiting for "Love Is The Answer" which didn't happen.

The Carole King/Carly Simon reference is interesting - both Altos so perhaps more "masculine" for female vocals as he is a Tenor and more "feminine" for male vocals - and lyrically, they're all singing about the same stuff 😀

Admit it - Tapestry was one fantastic album and Anticipation was brilliant - even if sold out as a ketchup sales aid. 😀