Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
Clarksburg , California

Any recommendations on the use or purchase of this GPS device sold by Rand McNally?

RVND 7720

Regards, OutBackBob
outbackbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have the previous model the 7710. It is sometimes not really user friendly. Many of the useful features are hidden behind too many pages to easily get to them when you are in a hurry. Also I am having a problem with Rand McNally honoring the free life time updates. It is almost impossible to talk to a real person and they will not return emails or phone calls. I have had several instances of incorrect data in the data base. It has tried to send me to the wrong place several times. Rather annoying when that happens and another good reason to always have up to date paper maps or computer program to double check all routes. It is also difficult and sometimes impossible to put in an address that the system will accept. I am not sure what all changes have been made with the new model 7720. I do know that the new one will allow the use of a back up camera. Honestly the only benefit that I have found with the RM unit is the large screen. I have previously used Garmin GPS and always found them much easier to program for use and Garmin Customer Service is much more responsive and eager to please.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Let's hope the 7720 is a better model. I've been watching and reading reviews and have not purchased one yet. I'll wait till more reviews are available to compare.
The idea of it sounds like it is just what is needed when traveling, but who needs more headaches. I'm still open minded to buying one and just hanging around to see how this top model fairs in the real world.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I considered the Rand McNally also. However, I read too many unfavorable reviews in different places that all seemed consistent. Something I experienced with GPS units is that one of the prime considerations is "user interface design." A GPS with a clumsy interface is very frustrating. The user is often in a slightly stressed position - i.e. possibly lost, possibly hunting for the right turn off and time is often important. Getting out a user manual to understand the menu is not really an option for most people.

I discovered that Garmin Nuvi were well appreciated for simple interface and I tried one. It really is nice and I think carefully thought out to be simple and kind of foolproof. I like it a lot. I settled on the Nuvi 50 to get the big screen, and "lane preview" which is to me about the most important new feature to have in GPS. The whole interface really only involves "back" and "forward" so it is virtually impossible to get tangled up.

I only found one fault so far: the search engine requires exact spelling to get any results. This is a flawed idea. Almost any software search now understands the idea of "close" spelling, or "partial spelling." And will begin a list of possibilities as you type more letters. The Nuvi won't do that. Gotta be EXACT and CORRECT on spelling anything. I typed in Wal-Mart the first day and got "unfound" when there were 3 "WALMART" within a few miles of me. I got used to it, my wife cursed it all the time!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Granted it is the first and only GPS we have used, but the 7720 has worked well enough for us, but has a number of flaws.

On the plus side..
It has a large point of interest database including tons of campgrounds. Public and Private. Most of the time we can just select where we are headed and don't have to insert an address. Waypoints are easy to use and enter. We don this a lot for things like grocery stores on the way to a new site. The screen size is nice and easy to read at a glance. Always seems to get us where we want to go and never gotten us into a tricky situation. I also like it shows the current speed limit.. and man is that accurate.

Long startup time, plus having to accept the damn terms every single time it is powered on.
It freezes every once in a great while.
The screen is hard to read in sunlight.
We hate the voice so we turn it off, but there is no visual indicator to which side of the road the destination is on.
I wish there was a faster way to switch between RV and Car mode, plus a visual indicator of which you are in. We leave it in RV mode, but then it will never just tell you to make a u-turn, it will take you down side roads in order to make a u turn (handy with trailer in tow)
Our Adventure..
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote