Old 10-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #15
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Wow, she sounds like a real native of the area! They look at me and think Indian blood, but not from here. (They're right. Cherokee ain't Hopi-Navajo-Ute-Apache.)

Lynn

Old 10-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I was at Chinle on Labor Day weekend. We stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge (in the Inn) and yes there is a campground next door. We used Antelope Tours, Adam Teller for a guide, 4 of us in their jeep for a 7 hour tour. It was great. A lot of interpretation of Navajo life and lore. Thunderbird Lodge offers a tour that is referred to as the "shake and bake" tours. In a large truck with no cover, it covers a large part of the canyon but it moves fast. There are actually two canyons there, Canyon de Chelly and Canyon del Muerto. We spent most of our time in the latter. Canyon del Muerto received its name when the Spanish slaughtered the native indians while on one of their many searched for the city of gold. Canyon de Chelly was a major and important community in that time period. The pictographs of the Spanish are very impressive.

Kit Carson must have been a student of history as he repeated the Spanish's actions a couple of hundred years later.

We also visited Hubbel trading post and found it very worthwhile. We also went to Zuni Pueblo for some serious jewelry shopping. Prices were about half of Gallop and Santa Fe.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Wow, she sounds like a real native of the area! They look at me and think Indian blood, but not from here. (They're right. Cherokee ain't Hopi-Navajo-Ute-Apache.)

Lynn
Her father's family has not done a lot of geneology. They have a German family name, but the German guy married into a Spanish family in the 1860's. The Hispanics who moved to NM back in the 1600's are likely to have had "relationships" with Pueblo and other Indians, so one can assume there are some Indian genes in the mix. She looks Spain-like Spanish, but is as tall as a tall German and the family nose suggests an Indian gene (and she's beautiful too!). It's been fascinating for a guy from NYC to marry into a family with ranches and this varied background. I had never been on a real ranch before. Family stories are amazing to hear. How most of them from a ranching family have moved to big cities and succeeded in Anglo culture is one of those great stories of America. Nonetheless, she knew nothing about Navajos and we have enjoyed learning about this very special people and culture. Despite being oppressed by a dominant culture (mine) and subjected to poverty, the culture has survived and they are a unique people worthy of visiting. The southwest is a very different place for someone from the east and along with Alaska are the most unique places in the US.

Gene
Old 10-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Yeah, kind of a twisty geneological road for me, too, but one filled with a bloody saddle and murder. Not a pretty history.

Lynn
Old 10-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #19
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Eubank, we toured the Wolf Sanctuary last fall and stayed in Grants, NM. Great place, however; the last few miles are gravel and rough so I would advise leaving the trailer at a RV park in Gallup or Grants and go in the TV.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
We were looking at our directory, and there seems to be some kind of campground or another right off Hwy 60 near Zuni. I'll see if we can even find it!

Lynn