Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
QUICK!!! Do I dare?

We were scheduled to leve on a trip to norther NH tomorrow. Due to some difficulties here, we will not be able to get gone until Monday, maybe Tuesday.
This is not a life-and-death trip, it is strictly family entertainment and a seminar we count on attending each year.
The Airstream is witing for the coats of Future on the walls and ceilings, and is about as ready as it can be short of the sofa not done and reinstalled. But what the hey! Those papasan chairs of mine are really comfy!
However.... todays headlines read Stations in Midwest Running Out of Gas!
Dropping down I-380 to 80, running east on that to I-94 to east of Battle Creek, then taking I-69 up through Lansing, Flint, and Sarnia.... across Canada on 402, 401, and 20, 10 to 55, 141, back into the states at Stanhope for the last thirty or so miles to Colebrook, NH.
With the headlines, and maybe shortages.... I expect gas to be high.... better than four bucks a gallon. But do we dare leave and expect to find fuel all along our route and back home?
What's your read on the situation? Would you take the chance of being temporarily stranded somewhere along the line? Would you change your route, and if so, to what?

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 09-03-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Elizabeth,

I'd say, at least for the U.S. part, go for it. The fuel companies are moving around a lot of gas and creating a lot of confusion and some panic buying, but the real decrease in refining capacity is, according to CNN, only about 10% right now. This means that one station may be out, but the next (more expensive) one, will probably have fuel.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Well if you run low on gas you have someplace nice to stay until the next fuel deliverly.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
That is the route we took to Vermont for the rally there two years ago. Nice easy but long two day run. My feelings there will be gas but if you have a truck and some metal gas cans I might take along an extra ten gallons just in case. That is what we did in the 70's when they had the really big gas crunch and we took the big van to Virginia.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:49 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The president has signed an order relaxing the EPA formulated gas rules. At this point I think that gas refined for any locale can now be shipped to any point in the U.S.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Post Up here in Meeshigan we've got enough gas

Lansing should be ok for a fill up...just don't get gas at the first batch of stations off the exits...
Old 09-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #7
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
I expect gas to be high.... better than four bucks a gallon.
My quick calculation is that the increased fuel cost, even at $4.00/gallon, would be something just less than $200 for your round trip.

Airstream Life's Rich Luhr had some thoughts recently on the gas crunch...you might want to check out his web log:

http://www.airstreamlife.com/vintage...underblog.html

Best wishes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
The president has signed an order relaxing the EPA formulated gas rules. At this point I think that gas refined for any locale can now be shipped to any point in the U.S.

Jack
Yep, and the pipelines are starting to pump at higher capacities again. I haven't seen any shortages in MI, but lines of people trying to create a shortage by filling up when they hit 3/4 of a tank. Prices yesterday were $3.15+, today they are below $3.00 a gallon. It will cost more, but I don't think you will find many stations without gas.
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:31 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am down in Mobile, AL ;one of the areas that got brushed by the storm. There have been gas lines down here but they have been hit or miss. Most of them were caused by so many stations not having power and the ability to pump gas, as well as the influx of refugees from MS and LA. FWIW I have a friend who manages a couple of Hess stations in NC. She said on Wednesday of this past week, one of their big stations sold over 18,000 gallons of gas in a 24 hour period. The normal/average daily volume for that stations is typically 7-8,000 a day. If that ain't panic buying I don't know what is! I got gas last night and there were only 3 cars in line a head of me...Take a couple cans along just to be on the safe side and have fun!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:40 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Cedars, we are in the same boat as you. My wife and I are leaving Tuesday for a 5000 mile trip. We have planned this trip for a year and have thought about the gas situation since it started. After listening to the news and watching traffic patterns, we decided that the media is creating news that sounds more desperate than it is. We decided to go for it. We are driving from North Carolina to the Grand Canyon via I-40 then back along I-70 to Indianapolis to see my folks. We are stopping at each state for 2 days and plan to take 30 days to complete the trip. If we run short of gas, we decided we would camp out longer. To heck with gas prices, we aren't going to let it stop something we planned for so long.
MattM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:32 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Not experienced since I was a kid

My folks used to pack me and my siblings up for very long hauls during the 70s, but they put it on hold during the oil crisis.

My wife and I were out yesterday and the Mobil station was OUT of gas. I have not seen this for some time. The Hess and Sunoco stations were very busy and one little mart had premium gas at 3.85/gallon.

I would say go for your trips, but I would suggest making backup plans for places to stay if you get stuck along the way. Also, carry some type of reserve. If you're out in the middle of Arizona, it's a long way between stations especially if one is out.

Good luck.

Mud

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I'm considering a similar decision. I'm planning to go to Colorado and Nebraska about the middle of September. I've been monitoring the Flying J web site. In addition to gasoline and diesel prices, they list their locations where fuel is low. This morning only locations in the deep south were low. That web site is www.flyingj.com. I'm sure other suppliers have similar sites.

Gene
Old 09-04-2005, 08:01 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Here at US23 and I-96 in SE Michigan there have been no shortages I am aware of. Gas price at stations on the highway exits last night were 3.15 a gallon and 1/2 mile into town several stations were at 2.99. Have a good trip.
Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Gas prices in Nova Scotia have risen from $1.09 a litre last week to $1.49 a litre in some places yesterday.It sounds like they will be coming down shortly.There could be but I have not heard of any shortages anywhere in Canada.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I vote that you go for it. Maybe I'd stay on the full side of a quarter-tank, though.

Page and I are planning a trip to CO later this month and plan to return home around the end of October. Hoping to see beautiful fall colors and get some hiking in (day-hiking, that, is). We're putting our list of must-sees together as we speak. I think the only thing that would stop us is word that shortages got worse. I don't see that happening. I also don't see prices coming down, but I do think they will not climb so severely as they have unless there is another shock to the system.

Have a wonderful trip.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 02:10 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would go, not because I'd be scared of running out of fuel, but more if I could pay or take out a home equity loan to pay for the fuel.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:22 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Page and I are planning a trip to CO later this month and plan to return home around the end of October. Hoping to see beautiful fall colors and get some hiking in (day-hiking, that, is).t

Come on out. Here on the Western Slope, I've seen absolutely no evidence of gas shortages or lines. Nothing's changed but the prices. I'm guessing that's the way it is state-wide and probably the entire region.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote