Old 04-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Question for professional truckers.

If you are, or have been an over the road trucker, I have a question.
Let's say it's an interstate highway, and there's at least three lanes in each direction.
If you are overtaking me in my Airstream, do you prefer I stay in the right lane and you change lanes to pass on my left, or would you rather I drive in the middle lane (next from right) so you can pass on my right and not have to change lanes?

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
They usually let you know by tailgating you and engaging the exhaust brake. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Honestly, I observe their behavior and decide which lane to take. I don't mind big rigs sailing by me in either lane and do my best to just stay out of their way. I believe they prefer to pass me on the left. But if they have a full head of steam and are approaching on my right, I just stay in the middle lane and let them pass me on the right.

Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If you are, or have been an over the road trucker, I have a question.
Let's say it's an interstate highway, and there's at least three lanes in each direction.
If you are overtaking me in my Airstream, do you prefer I stay in the right lane and you change lanes to pass on my left, or would you rather I drive in the middle lane (next from right) so you can pass on my right and not have to change lanes?
.......stay where you are are at....donít be moving around...stay put...:
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
2020 Classic 33 on order

Box Elder , South Dakota
Many states passing on the right isn't legal. I try to stay in the right lane most of the time unless I encounter slower traffic. If I am on an interstate/state highway with multi lanes going through a city I will stay in a center lane so that people getting on the highway are not inconvenienced. I would be at the posted speed limit which these days doesn't mean much.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Pittsfield Twp , Michigan
Yeah, don't move to the left to "allow" passing on the right. Like ghanes wrote, trucks aren't suppose to pass on the right.
Since we're on the topic of driving with trucks, follow signs posted for lane restrictions for trucks also. In construction zone you'll often see "trucks use left lane". This is often due to lanes narrowing or a soft shoulder for wider vehicles. Rv's should follow those signs posted as well. You don't want 2 wide vehicles trying to pass each other in a narrow stretch.
wizardglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Stay where you are, and let them pass you on the left. Usually the far right lane. Also, try and maintain a constant speed if there is a likelihood of being overtaken. It doesn't help when a vehicle being overtaken decides to speed up.

I agree with the comment about using the centre lane if there is a lot of merging traffic coming on.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #7
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Merging traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I agree with the comment about using the centre lane if there is a lot of merging traffic coming on.
If there are no lane restrictions and if you are running with prevailing traffic & you have space to your left, by all means, if there is an opportunity to move over to allow merging traffic access, take that opportunity & help the traffic flow. Once you're past the merging traffic, move back to the right lane.

Biggest thing I've driven is our 345, limousines & mini-buses. I always try to run with traffic (85th percentile) & allow merging traffic room, especially where older roads have short merge lanes.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Many states passing on the right isn't legal. I try to stay in the right lane most of the time unless I encounter slower traffic. If I am on an interstate/state highway with multi lanes going through a city I will stay in a center lane so that people getting on the highway are not inconvenienced. I would be at the posted speed limit which these days doesn't mean much.
YEP...👍
Perfect example, 195 in New England, stay in the center lane no matter what. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Why o why do these truckers feel they need to pass me on the downhill when they can clearly see another uphill climb a half mile ahead? I set the cruise at 65mph and my truck keeps the same speed down and up hill. These guys have to pass at 68mph and then slow down on the uphill to 55 or less forcing everyone to pass. The back and forth passing on hilly terrain really is a pain. Like they are really saving a minute off their travel time.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Itís all about the gear shifting it takes to slow down. Easier to conserve momentum on a big rig as well.
I view big rig trucks like a sailboat views an aircraft carrier. I might have the right of way, but the big guy is slow to maneuver. If I can get out of the way, flash lights to let them know they are clear of me when passing, and maintain a steady course, speed and heading, itís defensive driving and courtesy.

Why fight with something thatís way bigger than you?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Yes, this. From someone who drove transport trucks.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Up and down hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Why o why do these truckers feel they need to pass me on the downhill when they can clearly see another uphill climb a half mile ahead? I set the cruise at 65mph and my truck keeps the same speed down and up hill. These guys have to pass at 68mph and then slow down on the uphill to 55 or less forcing everyone to pass. The back and forth passing on hilly terrain really is a pain. Like they are really saving a minute off their travel time.
I have almost 2 million mils driving class 8 trucks all over the U.S. #1-stay in the right lane, I will go past on the left if possible. #2-If I stay behind you going down hill at 65 MPH I will be going 35/40 MPH trying to get up the hill creating an unsafe condition.

When I am towing my Airstream I am generally in the right lane with cruise set at 65 or so MPH. If I find myself playing hopscotch with a truck going up and down hills, I take that opportunity to take a restroom break. Yes, I know that is not always possible, but the truck driver is working and has a schedule and has to watch his/hers Hours of Service regulations.

If you have never experienced driving/riding in a 80k LB tractor trailer that is 70/80 feet long, you should try it sometime. Your view may change. Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Question for professional truckers.

Iíve always had great respect for the folks that wrangle big rigs. They have to stay centered in narrow lanes, deal with brakes that are not that wonderful, and dodge all the other people on the road that drive really bad.

Yes, you occasionally see a trucker that Ďdrives scaryí but IMHO itís rare.

Yeah, Iíve been in the cab of a big rig. Frankly, I couldnít even push the clutch all the way down. I got to try to drive a fire truck one time. Got about 100 feet and couldnít get into second gear, much less drive it straight. Really big vehicles are a serious challenge to drive.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
.......stay where you are are at....don’t be moving around...stay put...:
Not part of the question. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I can drive in the right lane or I can drive in the center lane. Which do you truckers prefer I do?

Do you prefer to overtake a RV driving in the right lane, or do you prefer to overtake an RV driving in the center lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
It doesn't help when a vehicle being overtaken decides to speed up.
I do the opposite. If a truck is passing and we go uphill, as he slows, I slow more to allow him to get back over. Why play leapfrog?

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote