Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #41
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagem55 View Post
Thank you for this information.
I, too, thought it was illegal to pass on the right in many states.
If I read the list you provided correctly, I only see Texas that restricts passing on the right lane of either a two or three lane highway (the question posted) and Connecticut for 2 lane Interstate.
Massachusetts limits it on a two lane, non-divided highway and Rhode Island a two way street, New Jersey okays it in continuous lanes.

Are there other states with restrictions to passing on the right that aren't provided in this link?
Driving courtesy is one of my pet peeves for sure. Dad was a salesman and I often rode with him and remember the driving courtesy lessons from when I was in elementary school. Now in my very later years, I still try to be courteous; it just helps the traffic flow too.

Regarding passing on the right. I have always believed, and still do, the law is intended to prohibit passing on a non paved area like a shoulder. The TX code seems to support my belief by allowing right side passing on a highway where all flowing traffic is going the same direction, i.e. an interstate or one-way multi lane road. But not on an unpaved section or bi directional highway. All that said, if left lane cruzers would not drive 5-10 MPH [I]under[I] the limit, we’d never even have to pass on the right.

Ditto on the thanks to the truckers! My brother and son-in-law are both drivers. It’s a service none of us could live without.
ForteePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Illinois pass on rite side only if at least 8ft. but not on shoulder.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdouglas View Post
This has been a very informative discussion and I would like to toss up some other points. In Colorado, the law is "keep right except to pass" and passing on the right is allowed. Now a while back, Karen and I were in England and Scotland with me driving on the "proper side of the road". On the 3 lane motorways (interstates), all truckers stayed in the outside lane except to pass and then immediately went back from the middle lane to the outside. Never were allowed in the inside lane. Most autos stayed at a higher speed and were in the middle lane except to pass on the inside lane. You never stayed in the inside lane, period. Even supercars and other hi-speed nuts got out of the inside lane once they had a clear middle lane. Never had a bottle-neck on the motorway in 2 weeks and 1600 miles.
So why does everyone, truckers and cars and RVs, have to drive in the middle lane all the time and leave the outside lane empty? Many times I find slow drivers hogging the passing lane and trucks only in the middle lane, so I just go to the outside right lane and passed everyone to my heart's content. I understand that truckers don't like to get slowed down by idiots merging at slow speeds. And in some states, the merging traffic has the right-of-way. In Colorado, merging traffic does not have the right-of-way and I pull my AS in the right lane. I don't budge, maintain my speed and they have to figure out how to merge or stop. I am not going to jump to the middle lane and get stuck there while Mr Idiot Slowpoke gets up to speed, passes on my right and opens the lane for me to get back where I want to be.
I am ready for replies. :-)
Merging traffic must always yield to those on the highway. However, if you are so close to the car in front of you that there’s no room for traffic to merge that is too close. Same goes for all types of vehicles. It’s tempting for some people to close the gap when they see someone about to take their precious lane but it’s stupid. I either pass or slow down slightly to accommodate a merge. I do move over for a semi truck; they have a lot fewer options and power to accelerate.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge12212 View Post
We would like you to just maintain your speed in your lane. We would rather "act" to move around you than "react" to your lane change. ��
I never offered to change lanes.
My original question was would you rather pass me on the right so you don't change lanes, or would you rather change lanes and pass on my left?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

London , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I never offered to change lanes.
My original question was would you rather pass me on the right so you don't change lanes, or would you rather change lanes and pass on my left?
Stay in the far right lane if it is safe to do so...

Let overtaking traffic move around you.

If you will be overtaking a slower vehicle, check your mirrors and move one lane to the left.

If there is an extra lane to the left, overtaking vehicles can still get around you.

If not, any *professional* driver will understand. (They will grumble, but give you the space and time you need)

After your pass, move back to the right lane, and 'RELEASE the Hounds!' (if you have a CB on 19, you may actually hear that)

It is unsafe to do things that aren't expected by the other drivers on the road.
Going too fast, is unexpected.
Going too slow....
Changing lanes without signaling...

Drive with purpose, and courtesy.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Post 39 needs to be read by all drivers, I totally agree with Hittenstiehl. Sirtate's post just above as well.

Good question by the OP and some great discussion on this issue.
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Merging traffic must always yield to those on the highway.
Don't count on it. Case in point, the ramp is short and the vehicles merging must commit or run out of room. I always try to time the spacing so we all can merge smoothly.
The other case is an exit from a weigh station where trucks are nose to tail and trying to get up to speed. I guarantee they won't be yielding to you.
Of course, if possible, I move over so cars and trucks can merge at will.

Don't get me started on changing lanes in a madhouse like I-285 around Atlanta, where you might be exiting right or left and traffic sees you as an annoyance.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
20 years and over 2 million miles.
I would prefer you be in the right lane. If you got to pass, pass and move back over.
The reason why trucks choose the middle lane today is we now have three lanes. most of the time the middle lane not only helps to maintain a constant speed, it also gives us options in a situation. Cars have now chosen the middle lane, because then they don't have to worry about oncoming ramp traffic. So they park in the middle at the posted speed plus/ minus 5 mph. Defeats the purpose of us using the middle lane. So the lane changing, riding ones bumper, break check shenanigans begins.
Please, stay in the right lane, pass when nessessary, move back over, and if a truck passes you, flick your lights twice, to let him/her know it's ok to move back over. We ll usually give you a a blink of the lights as a thank you.
When your in a MH or travel trailor rig, most if us drivers view you differently than a car. We treat you with a little more respect, because you know a little about our world. Stopping distances, slow up hills,down hill braking. It's like your our little sister/brother. Hope this helps DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:04 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Don't count on it. Case in point, the ramp is short and the vehicles merging must commit or run out of room. I always try to time the spacing so we all can merge smoothly.
The other case is an exit from a weigh station where trucks are nose to tail and trying to get up to speed. I guarantee they won't be yielding to you.
Of course, if possible, I move over so cars and trucks can merge at will.

Don't get me started on changing lanes in a madhouse like I-285 around Atlanta, where you might be exiting right or left and traffic sees you as an annoyance.
Merging traffic must yield. Of course it’s not always possible as I stated in my post. But run into me when merging and you’ll get the ticket, not me.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I still wish there was a national speed law for truckers and towing of 65mph and using the left lanes for passing only. I think driving on the main highways would be a lot less stressful, especially here in Texas on I35!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:14 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eagle Point , Oregon
National Speed Law

The safest and most efficient use of the highways is when all vehicles travel at the same speed. A majority of accidents are caused by careless lane changes and lack of common sense. Also, and unfortunately for some, the Interstate highway system was built to move commerce, not joy riding automobiles. If you don't like to share the road with trucks and others towing trailers I'd suggest getting off the Interstate and sticking to the old 2 lane roads. Just remember you are not so important that the world would come to an end if it takes you a little longer to get where you are going. Your need for speed could very well mean the end of the world for someone else when you cause an accident. Slow down, enjoy life, and try to be courteous even if the other guy wasn't. A lot of us appreciate it even though we can't always say 'thanks'.

After 50 years and several million miles driving most every combination of truck I have a little experience to draw on. Also several years hauling gasoline through the mountains. 11,000 gallons. That is a 105,000 lb. truck and highly flammable.
1976 Sovereign 31' CB Rear Twin towed 'on the ball'.
Retired Professional Truck Driver 4 million accident-free miles. Various combo's GCVW 105,000 lbs 105' length.
Olscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Sorry, with our nonexistent transit system those “joy riding automobiles” are a fact of life. Yes I’ve driven trucks before and I get it, but everyone has to share the road. I just wish people who are just gonna stop at the next fast food joint and lose a half hour anyway would stay out of the left lane trying to gain 1 mph.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 05-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Actually, the interstate highway system was sold to Congress and the American People as a way to move troops quickly from one coast to another as needed. It was originally funded as a national defense highway system...

It was Eisenhower's baby -- he was impressed by the autobahn system in Germany.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post

It was Eisenhower's baby -- he was impressed by the autobahn system in Germany.
I’m over there right now. The heavy vehicles stay right. And when someone comes up behind and flashes their lights you move over. Without brake checking or flying the “finger”. Of course, I’m on a train right now, Paris to Munich so trucks and traffic aren’t a problem. I guess in the US this would be a bike path by now. .

Regardless of why the highways were built they belong to everyone. I would, however, like to see stricter enforcement. Technology exists to do it.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Here in AZ the normal way to exit the freeway. Is travel in far left lane until your exit is almost passed, then no signal, just move across all lanes, remembering that all the other cars have brakes and will stop for you so you can make the exit. I have driven in a lot of the city’s across this land and have never seen any like it. It just a few but a lot of them. I guess it taught in AZ drives ED.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
I guess it taught in AZ drives ED.
I love recounting the story of moving to Florida and driving on I-4. I came up on a High School Driver's Training car in the left lane. Not wanting to set a bad example, I flashed my lights. I waited. They had a full car and an instructor in the passenger seat. They were driving about 40, yes still in the passing lane.
The final insult was when the instructor used me to re-position his rear view mirror, so I knew he knew I was there.
So I punted them into the median! JUST KIDDING!
I did pass on the right and gave them the rigid digit.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Julie-Bob,

That's a great (tongue in cheek) fairly accurate description of our Arizona PHX drivers.

My explanation for that particular recent method of crazy driving is.

Suri (or whatever your GPS is called) often doesn't compute as quickly as a vehicle moves and she fails to tell you there's another exit coming or that you can go around the block without endangering all the traffic next and behind you.

Falls back into that selfish "me" category.

There's no reason for "ME" to preplan my route, check my exit possibilities or know what number block I need to be in. I just plug it into my phone or device. The device tells me what to do so I can busy myself with other tasks.

I can check my FB, update my IG and take a couple of selfies. Oh and drive on occasion.

Then when I hear the last minute instructions, because I was ignoring the ancillary ones about my exit getting closer, I vear dramatically across all lanes, cut thru the gore area and maybe hold up my hand and say
"my bad".

Not that it was really "my bad" it was the devices fault as I don't really know where I'm going anyway.

Humor and Sarcasm intended. [emoji593]

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote