Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Holly Springs , Mississippi
question about critters

My husband and I are having this debate about long-term storage. We can't park our camper at our house because we live on a steep hill and the overhanging rear on the camper prevents turning up our hill. So it lives at a friend's place across town, in a mostly gravel (some grass) spot about 20 ft. from the house.

Because there is no garage, we were concerned about mice. We originally looked at an AS that had dead mice under the bed matresses and our unit did have freeze-dried mice that died in the converter unit (electricity + sharp teeth = dead mice). To try to discourage mice from setting up camp when it's parked, every time we break down after camping, I put all soft furnishings that aren't going home for washing in those vacuum-sealed bags, which I then put in overhead compartments.

This has worked quite well, but it takes me an hour just to break down or set up.

SOOOOOO -- will the new 25' Safari we just ordered be better sealed since it's new or is it susceptible to invaders also? In others words, can I leave the pillows on the bed and not deal with critters or ziplock bags?

Thanks,
Pam

p.s. I posted this in another section of the forums but thought I'd ask a wider audience.....

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Grouco Marx
daveandpamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Pam,
I park my Airstream in a barn all winter and have never had a mouse problem. I have every little hole sealed with vulkem, rigid foam and steelwool. I plug the holes with steelwool and then vulkem or foam them closed. Mice can't chew through steel wool. I crawled all under my trailer and looked at anyplace a mouse could enter and sealed them off.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Hi Pam,
We live in the middle of 5 wooded acres where critters of all kinds abound. We've had our Bambi parked on our gravel driveway (when we're not camping) for over two years, and haven't had any critters, including mice, to date. I believe it's important to not let any grass, weeds or other plants to grow up around the AS, which would provide a means of access. The only time anything got inside our Bambi was when I was attending a convention in Miami, and had the trailer parked in a lot near the hotel for a few days. Apparently a palm frond had fallen and rested on the rear bumper and the ground, providing a bridge for ants. We caught it in the early stages, and a can of Raid and a vacuum took care of it. I also occasionally spray around the tires and tongue jack with a systemic insecticide in the spring and summer.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Scope the neighbors yards out to see if they 'feed' the birds... Mice will gladly commute 75-150 feet with their cheeks full of seed if they think they have the nicest Airstream, err, nest area on the block. We've had the lawnboy muffler stuffed with seeds several years in a row, nests in vehicle air cleaners, etc. but no mice in Airstream (yet)... If the neighbors do feed the birds it might be time to make a mouse condo on the property line disguised as a firewood stack, brick pile, compost bin, etc. to decoy them away from trailer during the winter...
Old 08-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Do a search for mice, there are a couple of threads with more information and suggestions than you can shake a stick at. A couple of the suggestions may even work...
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
As others have said, I climbed under ours and plugged any holes larger than a 1/4" with Vulkem.

Others have suggested plugging the front of the frame so I got a large piece of black aluminum screening and mashed it into a ball and stuffed it down each of the 2 openings on the front of the frame by the jack. I used about 2 sq ft per opening to make sure nothing could get by.

I also put a small loose piece in the furnace exhaust so nothing could get in there.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Steel wool will discourage critters but I would consider brass wool. Steel wool rusts. Brass wool will not react as as fast with moisture in the air

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:18 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Steel wool will discourage critters but I would consider brass wool. Steel wool rusts. Brass wool will not react as as fast with moisture in the air
Is brass wool available at a home center? supermarket?
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
brass wool vs. fiberglas

In addition to the brass wool (and yes, a source for that would be great), could you use roll fiberglass and scrunch it up like brass/steel wool? And how much brass wool goes in each hole?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Dave and I now have our first project when the new camper arrives -- and I get to keep the pillows and towels out!!

Pam

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Grouco Marx
Old 08-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Aluminum wool/screen is best.
Keeps galvanic corrosion from occurring.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
fiberglass is not a good idea. It holds water. this will create corrision.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Cool Hole Plugs

What about using stainless steel pot scrubbers from the grocery store?
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
stainless steel + aluminum = galvanic corrosion > bigger hole & bigger problem

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 08-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
galvanic corrosion

So, I'm guessing brass wool would cause the same problem as Steel wool. Where do I find aluminum wool? Home Desperate and Lowe's don't carry it....Maybe a plumbing supply store?

Pam

Old 08-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandpamz
Where do I find aluminum wool?
Here you go:

Palmer Engineered Products - Aluminum Wool
Brixwax online GMT - Aluminum Wool
Piwel - Aluminum Wool

About $25 per lb...which would be a bunch!

Shari

Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
I have pluged all visible holes/locations for mouse entry under my Classic with bronze wool (available at marine stores) saturated with silcone adhesive to form sort of a wool paste. Mice won't chew through the wool and the adhesive seals the hole so they won't push the wool aside. As a precaution, I place moth balls in places such as under the wardrobe where the water pump is, under the sofa near the battery boxes, under the bed and under the bathroom vanity near the water heater. Just playing it safe.
With all my precautions, I was suprised to find my power cable compartment filed with mice excrement - soaking wet and stinky this spring. It took multiple cleanings with various products to cleanse the compartment. I guess I need to place moth balls enmasse in that compartment when I winterize this fall.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
many thanks

Shari -- thanks!

Romap -- the converter was the place we found our fried mice. It's warm, confined and full of rubber-coated wires.

Pam