Old 01-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
How does it work? I have never been nor did I make any reservation. Can we just show up and park anywhere in the desert?

crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
How does it work? I have never been nor did I make any reservation. Can we just show up and park anywhere in the desert?
There are couple of options. (1) You park anywhere on the BLM land for 2 weeks for free, but there are no "services." (2) Better option: The Long Term Visitor Areas cost $40 for 2 weeks and you get trash bins, pit toilets, RV dump station, and water (not a hookup). Only crowded near town. Otherwise you can find a spot where your closest neighbor is a couple of hundred yards away. Just stop at one of the La Posa LTVA ranger stations off hwy 95 south of town. A fair-size solar panel and small generator will keep you in Volts.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
And what are people meeting up for these 2 weeks for? What goes on? Still don't quite get it... LOL
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
In looking into it he quartzite event , it turns out that a bunch of rock hounds started gathering there in the early 60s. To sell and trade stones and fossils, and enjoy hanging in some mild weather.
Well it has apparently really taken off over the years. Now to include a hot rod show week toward the end of the month, and plenty of RV related vendors in between. And of course the gem and stone trade shows in mid month.

Thats the gist of my reading, I'll be heading that way tomorrow in my 345 Moho. Not sure where I'll be staying, hope to fine a spot in a RV park for a night or two to get my feet on the ground and have a look around.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Quartzite is a great boon docking experience. Even for those that think that boon docking is a pain..you can get water delivered and your tanks pumped while camped in the middle of the desert. We are currently parked down around mile marker 99, surrounded by SOBs and 5 other Airstreams..very friendly group and lots to do and see in this neck of the woods. For the WBCCI Ham group..this is the place to be for lots of Airstream and Ham activities!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road

We are over in the dome rock area. Found a nice quiet spot with a view of the mountains and a few saguaros.