Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Put-in-Bay campground recommendation

I have a week off at the beginning of August and another at the beginning of September and would like to see Put in Bay and Middle Bass Island. Hence, we are looking for possible campgrounds in the area.

We must have pets allowed and look for biking trails nearby. We considered Cedarland RV park, but we don't really need a pool and are concerned it is too big and crowded. We love nature and prefer someplace that has nice woods and atmosphere, not pools, games, and playgrounds.

When we go camping we usually take walks, ride bikes, and enjoy the area. All that said, does anyone have some good campgrounds to suggest?
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Probably would help if I said Put-in-Bay, Ohio.

Though anyone who would be able to give me a recommendation would probably know that.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
There is a state park camp ground on the island http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/lakeerie/tabid/753/Default.aspx. East Harbor State Park is on Catawba Island (part of the mainland) http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/eastharbor/tabid/733/Default.aspx. Both parks are nice...It all depends if you want to pay the expense of getting the trailer on the ferry.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
It's gonna cost a good buck to get the trailer to either island, but I would do it in a heartbeat.

I think I would lean towards the campground next to the airport on South Bass (PIB), http://www.hikercentral.com/campgrounds/108956.html ,but just know that South Bass is the "party island", but still pretty quite when out-of-town. Deffeinetly more to do as far as museums and tours.

Middle Bass is waaaaaay more quite.

Have you considered Pelee? Need passport though. How about Kelly's?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
I think not to the trailer on the ferry, and not sure I actually want to be on the island anyway, just close so that we can explore,
Old 07-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Put-in-Bay

Put-in-Bay is a touristy/party kind of place. It has its quaint shops and island atmosphere. I would camp at East Harbor, but ferry over to the island to explore for the day. They have bicycles to rent if you don't have your own. Or you can rent golf carts. The winery is there. Perry's monument is a nice place to get a grand view. There are other tours you can take also. I don't know that ferrying the trailer over is worth the extra money or hassle. Just my two cents. I have never been over with our trailer to that park to camp.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Wannaroam
Go back to the East Harbor State park where we were last September. That's only a short drive to the ferry. We wanted to go on the ferry last yr but we have the girls (dogs) in the truck with us. The ferry's were pretty busy,at least from the 1000's of cars parked everywhere it looked like it anyway.
I think that's your best bet and you know where it is and what the campground looks like,So you are not a stranger there.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone. East Harbor is it I think. I noticed Maumee state park which looked very nice as well but that's a little further west and too far away.

And with East Harbor we can use our new America's Pass for Senior's a save some money!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Maumee Bay is nice but not the same as East Harbor. East Harbor is more centrally located to the natural (scenic) attractions. I spent the day up there for work today. Gorgeous weather...I never get tired of it. Have fun.
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 Argosy 28
Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
We were at Camp Perry, west of Port Clinton, 1st wk of Aug 2008. Many people in Port Clinton, at the ferry terminal and at Mon Amie. Ferry ride was nice . If you want to go to the former Lontz winery, check to see what part, if any, is open. Stock your larder, we found it difficult to locate a family type restaurant in Port Clinton but finally did on 2nd street. Nice library with internet access. The cheese store east of Port Clinton is awesome.
Al's cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Visit the lighthouse at Marblehead too. If you like to ride bikes and be at peace, walk on to the Kellys Island ferry and take your bicycle or rent a golf cart on the island to tool around. Pretty laid back island with very little party fare and limited car traffic. Nice beach and campground on the north shore and some glacial grooves to look at. Theres a brewery on the island a winery as well. A couple restaurants. No food to brag about thought. Pack a picnic lunch for the beach. A good day trip. If my memory serves me correctly, the ferry runs every half hour until midnight during the summer.
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Thanks to both of you for the info. yakman, the Kelly's island sounds like just what we like - peace, quiet, and nature. We will plan on visiting there for sure.

I am afraid that most of my party days are behind me now, so will stay away from the more happening spots.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Hello... I grew up in that area, and had my SeaRay up at the marina there. Still have alot of family to there. Lakeside (private comunity) ect

Here is what I do. I camp at East Harbor Campground, and have since I was in diapers. East Harbor is great, and affordable. There are alot of private campgrounds up there that are nice... Tall timbers ect. But I stay at East HArbor.

When you pul out of East harbor onto 269 turn right, to 53 turn right (cawtawba) at the end is the miller ferry to put in bay 15 min ride max. even a winery on the way. If you turn left on 269 out of east harbor you go to Marble Head alot of nice shops and a ferry there to. Antriques along the way. If you have kids... Mysteryu hill is there, or African saffari.

East HArbor is the greates location and everything is right there There are alot of farmers market the to. I reccomend Baumens orchards. Great sweet corn , and alot of fruit.

HAve fun I go at least twice a year, and dont forget the light house in marble head.

In August, at Put in Bay is the Boat Raggata, it is a great time, and as far as Partying... I ussually leave the island around 7ish that is when the night life cranks up. Its fun, but to much for families with kids. Kellys is nice to and being at East harbor you can do both easily in a week
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Hey wanna I wanted to ask, how are them tail lights, and your Trailer with all that hard work you put into it?

Its hard to beleve its a memory huh?
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
We have lights!

Lights are working just fine, lol.

We have come a long way with our unit, that's for sure. To date we have camped about half dozen times or more and used about all our systems with success. We even camped sans electric one weekend and the propane and batteries worked fine.

We just finished putting in custom wood shelves on either side of the sofa to fill in that space and make it usable, with a small drop leaf for extra table space on the one side. This weekend we are building a custom wooden bench seat for the dining area. Next will be a drop leaf dining table most likely.

And at some point we will probably re-do our bathroom since neither of us are happy with the way it came out.

And some lazy slacker still has a couple of more curtains to make if she every gets around to it!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Kelly's Island is for boaters who like to party.
Put-In-Bay is for partyers who like to boat.

We've spent the weekend in a nice B&B on the former and our honeymoon in the Park Hotel (next to the Round House bar) on the latter (the Lonz winery on Middle Bass had just collapsed right before that). I heard the Perry Monument on PIB started dropping big chunks of concrete from the top and was closed to tourists?

We've also spent many weekends tent camping in East Harbor State Park when we were towing the Boston Whaler up there. Nice--and you can make reservations on-line!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Maurice

Love that online reservation system - ours are already made.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We've been going to Kelleys Island for years. the state park campground is lovely-the pet area has its own path to the beach and dogs ARE allowed on the beach!!
It does cost a bit to take the trailer on the ferry but its worth it. Peaceful and quiet-not at all like Put in Bay.
dougnjano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Oh how nice to be able to take the dogs on the beach! We will have to go to Kelley's Island for sure now.