Old 08-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #43
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
Absolutely frightening ...
A semi with two trailers behind is all over the place. Every double trailer RV attempt I've seen is even worse.
No thanks!

nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #44
Rivet Master
Kiera, I get it, and understand your frustrations, BUT

Yeah sometimes when folks ask a specific question, they get responses about the price of tea in China. Sometimes they get an answer that they don't want. Sometimes you will get someone with a very strong opinion, and maybe not so gentle about it. Sometimes a VERY safety conscious person will give you a self righteous answer.

BUT here is the BUT. You did ask a question. We are not in the business of supporting your ideas unconditionally. Most people here are looking out for your ( and our ) well being

Here would be my " negativity " You would have a HECK OF A TIME trying to back up.

I agree with some of the other options given to you.

#1 Get a pickup truck and carry the motorcycle in back of the truck

#2 Have someone tow while you ride the bike.

#3 Also…I've seen horse trailers that have kitchens, baths, and nice sleeping quarters. The trailer won't know if it's a horse, or a motorcycle

If you haven't told us everything, such as, you know where you will be traveling, it is not far, you won't have to stop for refueling, and where you will be going has enough space to turn around…..Then have at it, and I apologize for my " negativity ".

I have seen posts where someone asked a question…then said that they don't want to hear that it's not a good idea. That's just not how it works. Perhaps this forum is not your cup of tea in China

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
My post was not intended to be Airstream specific in this regard. Any ball hitch trailer towed behind another ball hitch trailer would present a high level of risk.

Safe Travels,
Jamu Joe
Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #46
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Attachment to an AS

One idea I have pondered is to have a small rigidly attached trailer, fixed at two points to the rear of the AS, and with a swivel wheel, much like we see on the back of a bush hog. The idea is, as the AS is pulled, the small attached single wheel trailer will be an extension of the AS frame. The weight could be primarily taken up by the swivel if properly engineered.

Of course, just how much weight one could safely place on this unit is the real question. But, i am thinking if a 400b motorcycle were attached this way, properly reenforcing the way it attaches to the AS, it might work.

No doubt, this moment of inertia, extended out in the rear would dramatically affect the tongue weight, how the anti-sway worked, and no doubt other problems due to weight where is it not intended.

But, any thoughts?
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I often see photos of old Airstreams with trailer hitches and/or receivers attached at the back. The most recent was an ad I saw for Red Ants Pants, where the woman is sitting on the rear A/S bumper, and there is a bolted on hitch next to her. So, obviously, it's been done before. It's your Airstream - if you can figure it out to work to your satisfaction, and it's legal, then go for it. Let us know how you make out!
No WD, but a great DW!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #48
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Pulling a trailer behind an Airstream?

MsMoto, I think you've answered your own question. Polar moment of inertia is a bitch. There's only so much resistance to moving sideways even the best TT can take. Additional weight AND sail area are a bad idea out past the rear bumper. The TT axles are very precisely placed by engineering along the length of the trailer with weight considerations in mind.

Weight needs to remain centered very near that axle pair. Shifting the TT balance point rearward is a very bad idea.

Semi tractor trailers have the advantage of being able to use the full length of the trailer for loading (past particular laws regarding total weight on the three tire sets -- Steer, Drive, and Trailer Tandems; 12k, 34k & 34k respectively), but even they can be overwhelmed.

Watching the rear tandems of a big truck dry van lift off the ground -- first one side and then the other, twisting away from the wind -- is one of the not-to-be-missed spectacles of IH-80 and 25 in Wyoming. And that driver can't feel it through the steering wheel. (Good reason to monitor Channel 19 is when winds and bad weather come up. Some trucks don't make it off the road in time. Oncoming traffic reports that to the diligent listener).

Extending the sail area and introducing yet more turbulence between trailers is the other end of the stick. We want "clean", not "dirty" air trailing off our rig (AS is better than others but far from ideal).

About the only "extension" which would be worthwhile would be a boat tail that fills the rear wake to improve aerodynamics. FE goes up, and wind handling goes up. But that structure would need to be the lightest possible (per the above), and to offset the length (sail area increase). A bobbed, not pointed end.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 26
Cantley , Quebec
Hight level of risk

JamuJoe,I am 100% agree with you that the level of risk increase. And the risk is not only little bit more but more than twice with this setup.When people are double towing they have to make sure they take in account every parameter they can, as towing vehicle wheel base, vehicle rear overhang, trailer overhang, Trailers weight, length, etc.
Manrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:20 AM   #50
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
We put a receiver hitch on the front of our RAM 2500 and tow our Vespa in front. Part of it interferes with one of the head lights, so when we take the Vespa, we can not drive at night.

Laura & Tom
Let the good times roll!! Laura
Remax gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #51
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
For sure

If my physics is still sharp, the moment of inertia increases as the square of the distance, thus as has been pointed out, sticking anything out behind an Airstream.....naughty, naughty....

It goes along with my idea of sticking an Airstream on a low boy straight truck...

Oh well.....LOL
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #52
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I believe it is illegal in most if not all states with anything other than a 5th wheel trailer or motor home. But I have pulled two flatbed trailers, one 16' and one 14' in tandem thru Colorado, Wyoming and Nebraska. Maybe I was lucky not to get stopped. Never exceeded 50mph though.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote